ACC overrated? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC overrated?

I agree that it's matchup driven. If they lost a few 50/50 games then you can more easily look past it. That wasn't the case. In none of the six losses did you get the feeling that the ACC team was the better team.

Right. This was not 2011 where just every break and bounce went against the Big East. UNC luckier than anyone was unlucky.

The conference records in the Tourney is more overrated than the Top 25 rankings all year. It's pointless, as it's all about matchups. Each league has their year. Not sure why fans from one team get hyped up about their conference foes. I'm glad they all lost. I was hoping to watch Seton Hall beat UNC, but the refs robbed that chance.

True you can't judge a conference simply on a single elimination tournament, but it doesn't look good when 1 out of 9 teams makes it out of the first weekend and a high number of the losses were upsets. It's not like the high seeded ACC teams were losing to similarly seeded teams.

Agreed. 1 for 9 is a lousy performance. But it doesn't mean the ACC didn't deserve 9 teams. It means 8 of them were beaten by teams as good as they were, at least in those games. We had more NCAA caliber teams than anybody. But our NCAA teams weren't better than other conference's NCAA teams.

Last edited:
Agreed. 1 for 9 is a lousy performance. But it doesn't mean the ACC didn't deserve 9 teams. It means 8 of them were beaten by teams as good as they were, at least in those games. We had more NCAA caliber teams than anybody. But our NCAA teams weren't better than other conference's NCAA teams.

Agreed. That's all it is. People overthink these things. I hope people finally realize that teams like UCLA/Arizona would do just fine in the ACC. Sick of the bias.

Agreed. That's all it is. People overthink these things. I hope people finally realize that teams like UCLA/Arizona would do just fine in the ACC. Sick of the bias.

Your second point is my point. For the last month there was this essentially unchallenged view that the ACC was head and shoulders above the other leagues. The foundation for this view was kinda flimsy but in just a few days it has been torn to shreds.

But we had THREE top 10 wins! THREE top 10 wins!

FSU - whoops
UVA - whoops
Duke - ???

Whoops!

Knew that Duke team wasn't going anywhere. Regarding the strength of the league, St. John's beat Syracuse by twice as much as any league team beat us by...and we finished over .500 in our conference. Yeah, the ACC was overrated. By a lot.

I kind of feel like with the exception of maybe UNC every team could have dropped one seed line...And Wake shouldn't have made it all. They were questionable all year...Until that beat a couple of those "tough" ACC teams.

it was a blip. big deal.

i think 14 of the 16 teams are Power 5 though. 2 mid majors. Talk about over-rated.

Great article on espn by Jeff Goodman quoting anonymous ACC assistant coaches that league is too finesse for the tournament this year and the games won in the OOC were against inferior teams.

Great article on espn by Jeff Goodman quoting anonymous ACC assistant coaches that league is too finesse for the tournament this year and the games won in the OOC were against inferior teams.

I remember we all used to say this exact same thing when we were banging it out in the Big East. We've become what we mocked. Even Louisville.

That's interesting because JB spoke of the ACC this year in reverent tones as if the league rivaled the 1985 Big East. He usually has a good read of these matters. Not this year.

That's interesting because JB spoke of the ACC this year in reverent tones as if the league rivaled the 1985 Big East. He usually has a good read of these matters. Not this year.

38 Non-Power 5 schools.

30 Power 5 schools

includes play in games

I think saying one conference is over/underrated based on one year of tournament games/one year of bowl games is a completely laughable argument to make.

looks like i counted wrong the first time.

13 P5 schools in the sweet 16
3 Non-P5 schools

That was essentially my point when I started this thread.

I chalk this up to JB says stuff.

Then again, if we could see what he actually said, I'm wondering if we are reading it wrong. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure JB said people are saying the ACC is the strongest conference. Not that he was saying it...

38 Non-Power 5 schools.

30 Power 5 schools

includes play in games

I don't consider the UC-Davis' and NC Centrals and their ilk to be mid-majors. They are are no kind of major.

I think saying one conference is over/underrated based on one year of tournament games/one year of bowl games is a completely laughable argument to make.

These things are cyclical and change every year. But when a conference gets nine invites and eight go down in flames, several routed and nearly all were fairly high seeds then there is no other conclusion one can reach other than they were overrated.

Bowl games are a somewhat different animal because the motivation factor comes into play where some teams mail it in for one reason or another. Obviously not the case with an NCAA tournament game.

These things are cyclical and change every year. But when a conference gets nine invites and eight go down in flames, several routed and nearly all were fairly high seeds then there is no other conclusion one can reach other than they were overrated.

Bowl games are a somewhat different animal because the motivation factor comes into play where some teams mail it in for one reason or another. Obviously not the case with an NCAA tournament game.

In a series of one-and-done games, the results can be so flukey I just don't see much reasoning behind putting any weight in the results.

The ACC teams that got knocked:
Virginia Tech - sizeable underdogs
Virginia - slight underdogs
Duke - an actual upset, but we're talking about the #7 team in the country losing to the #26 team in the country. This happens all the time.
Notre Dame - underdogs
Florida State - this was pretty bad
Miami - slight favorites
Louisville - lost to the #27 team.

Saying a conference is over/underrated based off one game from each team is silly. If Syracuse were judged off of one bad game (St. John's), people would think we were the worst team in the country. If they judged Syracuse off one good game (Florida State), they'd think we were one of the best in the country; it's no different when you do the same based on the tournament/bowl outcomes.

In a series of one-and-done games, the results can be so flukey I just don't see much reasoning behind putting any weight in the results.

The ACC teams that got knocked:
Virginia Tech - sizeable underdogs
Virginia - slight underdogs
Duke - an actual upset, but we're talking about the #7 team in the country losing to the #26 team in the country. This happens all the time.
Notre Dame - underdogs
Florida State - this was pretty bad
Miami - slight favorites
Louisville - lost to the #27 team.

Saying a conference is over/underrated based off one game from each team is silly. If Syracuse were judged off of one bad game (St. John's), people would think we were the worst team in the country. If they judged Syracuse off one good game (Florida State), they'd think we were one of the best in the country; it's no different when you do the same based on the tournament/bowl outcomes.

...And this was said last year by precisely no one. Which is what I find funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom