ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 322 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

There is a poster on this board that told me that both UConn and UMass would make a bowl game this year. A combined 6 wins doesn't get you a bowl does it?

Maybe school mergers are the next phase in realignment?

There is a poster on this board that told me that both UConn and UMass would make a bowl game this year. A combined 6 wins doesn't get you a bowl does it?
If UMass and UConn scheduled to play each other 12 times every year then one or both could make a bowl game every year. How glorious would that be?

If UMass and UConn scheduled to play each other 12 times every year then one or both could make a bowl game every year. How glorious would that be?
If they both were to make it then they’d have meet for the 13th time in the bowl game. Someone would need to take home their annual trophy. ;)

If they both were to make it then they’d have meet for the 13th time in the bowl game. Someone would need to take home their annual trophy. ;)
I know someone on this board that may need to change his tighty whities after reading this.

When the UMASS starting QB went down, so did their season, I would think a Syracuse fan would understand that. UCONN, they still have a chance.

When the UMASS starting QB went down, so did their season, I would think a Syracuse fan would understand that. UCONN, they still have a chance.
Really? UConn still has a chance? That's your response? At least own it and admit they both suck this year and you misread it.

Last edited:
Really? UConn still has a chance? That's your response? At least own it and admit they both suck this year and you misread it.
Yes, UConn is getting better as the season goes on, that happens with good coaching.

Yes, UConn is getting better as the season goes on, that happens with good coaching.
They did finally win a game last week at Rice, which I think was an upset.

That got them to 1-5.

They still have to play Tennessee and James Madison. That gets them to 1-7.

They do have UMass and something called Sacred Heart on their schedule, so that should get them to 3-7.

The other games are against USF and BC. If they do well, they will split them.

Hard to see them getting more than 4 wins.

Unfortunately, I do not see any worlds in the metaverse where they go bowling this season.

Jim Williams, who is actually a fairly reliable source in the world of realignment, seems to be implying that the foursome of Tulane, USF, Wash State, and Oregon State may be invited into the ACC if they can negotiate some sort of very hefty financial exit for FSU, Clemson, and UNC. WSU and OSU are likely angling for the Big 12 or the ACC (but the ACC would probably have more incentive especially if there are departures).

He's not saying anything is done...i'm not trying to oversell something, but he is saying that there are some discussions happening and that these teams have all been vetted. I guess the theory is the 2 western schools help w football schools would help w football credibility and western scheduling, and that the eastern options are both strong academic institutions (and in the case of USF, give them a foothold in central Florida). Says there are some other schools on the list like ECU and Memphis that are also on the radar and have been vetted, but cites academics as a reason neither would likely be a top choice.

Last edited:
Jim Williams, who is actually a fairly reliable source in the world of realignment, seems to be implying that the foursome of Tulane, USF, Wash State, and Oregon State may be invited into the ACC if they can negotiate some sort of very hefty financial exit for FSU, Clemson, and UNC. WSU and OSU are likely angling for the Big 12 or the ACC (but the ACC would probably have more incentive especially if there are departures).

He's not saying anything is done...i'm not trying to oversell something, but he is saying that there are some discussions happening and that these teams have all been vetted. I guess the theory is the 2 western schools help w football schools would help w football credibility and western scheduling, and that the eastern options are both strong academic institutions (and in the case of USF, give them a foothold in central Florida). Says there are some other schools on the list like ECU and Memphis that are also on the radar and have been vetted, but cites academics as a reason neither would likely be a top choice.

Just do it, get rid of the problem.

Reliable? He throws shite against the wall all the time.

Teams aren't leaving anytime soon.

ECU and Memphis would never get discussed.

Washington State and Oregon State make little sense. They are dead weight and short term thinking. If you must go West take Utah and Arizona State in 5 years.

I could see Tulane in 10 years but not now.

USF only if FSU leaves but that ain't happening.

Why expand now? There are 17 teams you can absorb some losses. Wait out the next B12 contract.

Washington State and Oregon State make little sense. They are dead weight and short term thinking. If you must go West take Utah and Arizona State in 5 years.

Why expand now? There are 17 teams you can absorb some losses. Wait out the next B12 contract.
A lot of what you say makes sense.

Unfortunately, the realignment process often doesn't.

Right.
[For now, even those who opposed ACC expansion are embracing the coast-to-coast conference makeover. "There are many complicated factors that led us to vote no,” Florida State president Richard McCullough said in a statement. “That said, we welcome these truly outstanding institutions and look forward to working with them as our new partners in the Atlantic Coast Conference.”]

Written on August 16th:
[Fox has gone to great lengths to box ESPN out of college football on the West Coast, first with USC and UCLA, then Oregon and Washington. Perhaps the threat of ESPN gaining a foothold in the Bay Area, in combination with the East Coast inventory provided by the ACC, would prompt Fox to muster the cash necessary to secure Cal and Stanford for the Big Ten.]

Also this from September 1st:
[Commissioner Jim Phillips had been advocating for the two Pac-12 schools, as had ACC members Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech and Louisville.] With regard to possibly leaving [An FSU source cautioned that “nothing is imminent,” however, and that no board meetings are scheduled in Tallahassee to discuss conference realignment.]

[According to a report by Jon Wilner, the ACC is considering Dallas as a place programs can travel to for football, which will help limit travel on both eastern members and Cal and Stanford. This also seems like a decision that could work well in non-football sports who are playing multiple times a week. Seeing how the ACC is able to maneuver such a dramatic addition will be fascinating, but it has become evident that the conference is working on many solutions to keep everyone involved happy.]

[Johnson (Sports Illustrated) also dove into the positives for everyone involved as Stanford and Cal will now have adequate competition for their Olympic sports rather than dropping down to the Mountain West or American, it gives Florida State and Clemson a chance to earn more money, and also allows for ESPN to have a piece of the West Coast action.]

I'll stop here. I started reading about all this from the viewpoint of the new Cali schools - welcome aboard guys.

Article points to uneven annual matchups, like the Big 10. Maybe 10-15 protected annual matchups. At most that means Syracuse has two (BC and Pitt), which I’d be fine with.
So random schedules? Going 2/6 or 4/4 is easier.

Also, if you're going Utah and Arizona State then go for UCF instead of USF. I don't think USF brings anything to the table.

Article points to uneven annual matchups, like the Big 10. Maybe 10-15 protected annual matchups. At most that means Syracuse has two (BC and Pitt), which I’d be fine with.
Agree. Biggest thing I wanted here was relief from playing FSU every season. It is not a rivalry game and should be one of the first existing ‘rivalry’ games to get the ax.

It will be interesting to see if we keep BC and Pitt. That would be nice for those of us that travel to football games.

Agree. Biggest thing I wanted here was relief from playing FSU every season. It is not a rivalry game and should be one of the first existing ‘rivalry’ games to get the ax.

It will be interesting to see if we keep BC and Pitt. That would be nice for those of us that travel to football games.
But split them! One home, one away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom