ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 321 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Kinda lazy by the B18. Makes more sense for travel to have 3 perms and rotate the rest. Meaning 3 games over 7 years. That limits travel for everyone.

I’m starting to think that losing Clemson to another conference won’t be the end of the world.

Dabo has been awesome. The 35 years or so before him - not so much. I think they will settle into Ole Miss, Wisconsin level - very good. But not playoff level.

Given the NIL trajectory - I expect Miami to regain its old prominence. It’s simply too appealing a place for young kids - and there’s so much $$$ sloshing around there.

I feel the same about SMU - long term.

FSU leaving will hurt more. But them. Get them out of the conference.

We are along for the ride - whatever happens. Not really meaningful on a national level anymore - but maybe can have a good year every so often. Kinda like Missouri or Baylor.
Agree. Their legacy of greatness begins and ends with Dabo, and even sooner with NIL leveling the playing field.
We won't have a seat when the big boys reshuffle next time.

If I was Oregon st., I wouldn't be laughing at too much these days.
Corvallis and Pullman are awesome and both programs are seriously legit this year and will do a bunch of damage against the schools leaving.

You can't really send our non revenue sports on that extra regional connection flight but pigskin they'd have been better.

Check this out

Interesting, would this merger include all teams? If so I don't see any advantage for the SEC to now have the three teams the ACC just added. Especially SMU as the SEC already has Texas/Texas AM. Plus how much value would SU/BC bring to the SEC from the Boston/NYC market? If SU/BC got left out it could be possible that the BIG18 would add them to really shore up the northeast.

Last edited:
Interesting, would this merger include all teams? If so I don't see any advantage for the SEC to now have the three teams the ACC just added. Especially SMU as the SEC already has Texas/Texas AM. Plus how much would value would SU/BC bring to the SEC from the Boston/NYC market? If SU/BC got left out it could be possible that the BIG18 would add them to really shore up the northeast.
Interesting listen, it makes some sense. Agree with your points about certain teams. SU is a good brand that brings in eyeballs, in the end I think we will be fine

How would Notre Dame go to B1G when they are contractually locked in to the ACC until 2036?

Interesting listen, it makes some sense. Agree with your points about certain teams. SU is a good brand that brings in eyeballs, in the end I think we will be fine

I don't see the value in taking more than one team from NC or VA. IMO Louisville is not worth it either. Ditto SMU. Same goes for GA Tech (unless you worry about a B18 invite for them).

I think the ideal would be:

BC, SU, Pitt, VA Tech, UNC, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Stanford, Cal

That gets the SEC to 26. Which leaves room for Notre Dame and Cincinnati, Kansas, Colorado, BYU, Arizona State.

Of course there is no chance this happens.

I think one thing that the ACC and SU has on its side is ESPN and Wildhack. ESPN is connected to the SEC and ACC and they don't want the ACC brand to dry up any time soon with over 10 years left on the contract. They will help broker a deal that works.

Interesting, would this merger include all teams? If so I don't see any advantage for the SEC to now have the three teams the ACC just added. Especially SMU as the SEC already has Texas/Texas AM. Plus how much value would SU/BC bring to the SEC from the Boston/NYC market? If SU/BC got left out it could be possible that the BIG18 would add them to really shore up the northeast.
Well they would want to bring in some big markets that the ACC has in Miami, Atlanta, Boston, NYC (Cough cough), Pittsburgh, DMV, etc. It would be an Atlantic coast conference but called the SEC. Makes sense with ESPN worrying about losing their biggest brands in Clemson and FSU. You know the SEC has a move up it’s sleeve and they would be adding some huge brands. I would think if they did this next year they could get out of having SMU and Calford joining since the ACC would be extinct and the SEC merged with ACC but keeps commissioner and league name. Some schools will get a small % until new TV deal. With ESPN potentially this desperate this isn’t the craziest idea i’ve heard. Now let’s just hope we end up in the BC/Pitt/Vandy pod.

I think one thing that the ACC and SU has on its side is ESPN and Wildhack. ESPN is connected to the SEC and ACC and they don't want the ACC brand to dry up any time soon with over 10 years left on the contract. They will help broker a deal that works.

How has Wildhack helped us with the ESPN connection so far?

Check this out

A few quick thoughts:

- the source is not as well informed as the host thinks, ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC
- I recognize the host is a Pitt guy but neglecting to address SU or NY as a whole makes one question the source, again. Even if on writes off NYC, upstate NY is still about 10 million strong, bigger than most states, and everyone knows SU hoops in NYC is still big.
- it is believable that ESPN is worried. Many on here saw this a while ago. ESPN cannot give up:the northeast or it will take decades to get back in. The northeast is still the most densely populated area of the country, voluntarily giving up the northeast is college sports suicide.
- I doubt that any teams will take 30-40%, the ACC already makes more than that.
- Keeping the California schools and SMU will not hurt ESPN. As the B1G/ Fox is nationwide, ESPN can keep a presence on the west coast on the cheap, for now. SMU would help recruiting and would lock down more Texas kids from the B12, which has a value all its own.
- I don’t see ESPN trimming any fat if they merge the conferences, everyone comes along, even ND with their all-sports-but-football deal. One, it looks bad; two, they need some teams to lose for the bigger names to win more; three, it keeps some more regional rivalries together.
- It could happen quickly but it can also take several years as ESPN has the ACC at a disadvantage for a few more years. Neither FSU nor Clemson will be able to pull together hundreds of millions to leave early and UNC is not writing the check anytime soon. If true, I would place this in the 3-5 year range unless ESPN really believes FSU and Clemson can put together some big money quickly.
- The ACC minder could still work: All Coasts Conference. First Coast (Atlantic coast); Second Coast (Pacific Coast); and Third Coast (Gulf coast).

Psycho Bonus: ESPN woos USC and UCLA before they join the B1G to stay with Stanford and Cal, as well as the warmer climates (mostly).

How has Wildhack helped us with the ESPN connection so far?
Not at all. But if this potential merger comes to fruition someday and it saves our behinds, then his hire was worth every penny.

Not at all. But if this potential merger comes to fruition someday and it saves our behinds, then his hire was worth every penny.

He can’t even help get game day here. I doubt anyone at ESPN is going to change their perspective on what they think because of wildhack being at SU.

They don't even have a football team, and they're ahead of UConn in the pecking order.

And UConn just won a title. And has a closet full of trophies...

They're still better in the Big East.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom