ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 287 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I absolutely see the court part happening. Adding schools 3,000 miles away provided them the ammunition. UNC’s statement last night will be their opening argument.
And them sending their basketball team to Maui or to any west coast venue in the prior years is the retort

How long before SMU goes on probation? Those guys are itching to spend money! In all seriousness, Cal and Stanford can compete on the field instantaneously. I’d imagine SMU will catch up rather quickly. It’s not a bad league at all. Those schools were the best options. Is it crazy? Yes. Is it bad for the athletes? Yes. Is it the only thing the ACC could have done? Probably. Let’s hope it works out as well as possible before the eventual other show drops.

What I’d really like to see is SU enhance its own academic standing via association with these outstanding institutions. The ACC is now a powerhouse in that regard. I really don’t mind being a part of the “academic conference” if that’s what the ACC ultimately represents.
Can you go on probation now for spending money? For me the academics is a faux cover for the schools that don't want to (or don't have the resources to) get their hands dirty in the new business of college football. My concern as an alum is that SU isn't great at either.

Has anyone asked the kids if they are bummed they will have to make a trip or two to Cali every year or other year? I think it's funny all the grumbly get off my lawn folks thinking 19-23 year olds will be overtaxed going out west a couple times to Berkeley and Palo Alto.

If the money is there to cover travel then as others said we just made the best bad decision to avoid a much worse fate. The B12 and Big Ten already took the plunge into this madness - the arrogant big 3 of the ACC want out anyways. Those of you so against it I'd like to hear just how the ACC has any hope surviving with 12 teams once those guys leave. We would be looking back wondering why we didn't protect ourselves when the opportunity came aboard.

No one is trampling your lawn here and kids aren't gonna scoff at some Cali visits.

And them sending their basketball team to Maui or to any west coast venue in the prior years is the retort

How many non-revenue sports teams vs a basketball tournament that raises additional money?

Bad argument. Mark my words this will be their court argument to get out of the ACC. They voted against it, they were not heard, they will make their case. Doesn’t mean they will win but if people are already talking about how they needed to add 3 teams to ensure the ESPN deal to negate 3 leaving it sounds like the GoR is not as ironclad as everyone assumes it is.

Welcome to Stanford, Cal and SMU. It isn’t a great solution but it was the best remaining option and I am glad the ACC took it.

Want to talk about scheduling a bit. With 18 schools for basketball, the ACC finally gets away from that odd number of schools and the problem of 1 ACC team having the weekind off each week during conference play. That is nice. Probably will keep the existing scheduling model and go from 20 to 22 basketball games in conference. Bad news for schools that like to play at Syracuse OOC to make some coin.

For football, there are of course 17 schools in the league. The easiest option seems to be to have 2 rivals each team plays every year. That leaves 14 other schools. Play 7 one year and the other the next year.

This brings the ACC to 9 conference games, which is controversial. But it is by far the best way to retain key rivalries and play everyone regularly. My guess is that all the conferences end up having to do this and college football expands to a 13 game regular season to allow some cupcake games against FCS teams and retention of traditional annual OOC games.

The B1G didn’t do this, which given how incompetent they have been at making decisions, makes me confident this is the way to go.

The ACC could also go with 4 annual rivals and then rotate through the 12 schools not played annually by playing 4 each year. So you play everyone in the conference at least once every 3 years.

That solution only requires 8 conference games a year and will probably by chosen based on that. But no one is going to want to be a rival for Stanford, Cal and SMU except for Stanford, Cal and SMU.

I absolutely see the court part happening. Adding schools 3,000 miles away provided them the ammunition. UNC’s statement last night will be their opening argument.

And if properly compensated for that travel it's not going to be a strong case at all. It's not fair that this GOR we agreed to is now stronger and makes it harder for us to run away to the Big Ten right away!

Nothing screams "BIG TEN" like Seattle and Eugene.

Reporters won't do anything to stop the train wrecks, but they love to be the 1st on scene to report.

It’s not true that the non football/hoops student athletes weren’t considered. They were. And the money won out.

This is what cracks me up above all else. The media companies that pay the conferences for rights are taking in anywhere from $5 to $15 BILLION a year, but the schools are fighting a death match over $20-30 million. They're all so incredibly dumb.
Same thing happening in Hollywood

Here's the thing. No one knows which direction this whole thing is going. A hundred unexpected or variations of expected could happen in the next decade. Dollars could tighten up, the SEC as a result could hold on expanding, political interests could influence, it could be 120 degrees Fahrenheit down south every day in a decade and makes it impossible to play...who knows? In the meantime we have a GOR that covers Syracuse on one side and by adding teams the ACC protects itself on the other side. It will be interesting to see if the new comers get voting rights in the ACC and how that shakes out for future votes on matters.

How many non-revenue sports teams vs a basketball tournament that raises additional money?

Bad argument. Mark my words this will be their court argument to get out of the ACC. They voted against it, they were not heard, they will make their case. Doesn’t mean they will win but if people are already talking about how they needed to add 3 teams to ensure the ESPN deal to negate 3 leaving it sounds like the GoR is not as ironclad as everyone assumes it is.
Their women's volleyball team played in Arizona this year and they are sending their women's golf team to Scotland

You are conflating I believe two different things. The GOR is 100 percent ironclad. That keeps teams in for now. The below 15 number with ESPN is something that could trigger say in 2032 if UNC decides to buy out the GOR with FU, Virginia and say Miami. So with the ACC adding now, they protect themselves from that possibility. If I am understanding the mechanics correctly.

I'm sure that they will try to argue that at some point. But, just so we understand. Their complaint is that the conference needs to do more to raise/pay more money. Let's add these three teams. We vote 'No'. Our voices weren't heard when we said that it's too hard to travel to Cali for other sports. But let us out so we can join a conference with teams in Cali, Oregon, and Washington. Travel to those states aren't as hard.

Wait a minute....

I feel the same way I did that Saturday when it was announced that we were leaving the BE for the ACC. Not a perfect result but necessary for the future. Better to get P5 teams now than G6 teams years from now when the Three Amigos leave.

It’s not true that the non football/hoops student athletes weren’t considered. They were. And the money won out.
It has been a slippery slope. In the old BE, the Olympic sports for SU had to travel to Miami and Tampa and Milwaukee. They currently have to travel to Miami and Tallahassee. Those aren’t bus rides to Ithaca.

If they go to Stanford and Cal, they probably play both on the same trip

The non football and hoops athletes that really get screwed are the Stanford and Cal kids. They will spend their whole lives traveling.

I'm sure that they will try to argue that at some point. But, just so we understand. Their complaint is that the conference needs to do more to raise/pay more money. Let's add these three teams. We vote 'No'. Our voices weren't heard when we said that it's too hard to travel to Cali for other sports. But let us out so we can join a conference with teams in Cali, Oregon, and Washington. Travel to those states aren't as hard.

Wait a minute...
This is why I would love to see someone call bullscheet on that UNC BoT chair.

Welcome to Stanford, Cal and SMU. It isn’t a great solution but it was the best remaining option and I am glad the ACC took it.

Want to talk about scheduling a bit. With 18 schools for basketball, the ACC finally gets away from that odd number of schools and the problem of 1 ACC team having the weekind off each week during conference play. That is nice. Probably will keep the existing scheduling model and go from 20 to 22 basketball games in conference. Bad news for schools that like to play at Syracuse OOC to make some coin.

For football, there are of course 17 schools in the league. The easiest option seems to be to have 2 rivals each team plays every year. That leaves 14 other schools. Play 7 one year and the other the next year.

This brings the ACC to 9 conference games, which is controversial. But it is by far the best way to retain key rivalries and play everyone regularly. My guess is that all the conferences end up having to do this and college football expands to a 13 game regular season to allow some cupcake games against FCS teams and retention of traditional annual OOC games.

The B1G didn’t do this, which given how incompetent they have been at making decisions, makes me confident this is the way to go.

The ACC could also go with 4 annual rivals and then rotate through the 12 schools not played annually by playing 4 each year. So you play everyone in the conference at least once every 3 years.

That solution only requires 8 conference games a year and will probably by chosen based on that. But no one is going to want to be a rival for Stanford, Cal and SMU except for Stanford, Cal and SMU.

Right now we're at 20 conference games.
2 protected rivals (BC and Pitt) we play home and home
8 teams we play once
4 teams we play twice.

Keep it at 20 games
Keep BC & Pitt home and home each year
Play 14 teams once.
Play one additional team home and home on a rotating basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom