ACC Regrets? | Syracusefan.com

ACC Regrets?

JazzNC

Starter
Out of curiosity, do you guys think Syracuse made the right decision to join the ACC?

In the Big East we were alpha dogs. Sure there was competition, but the competition wasn't blue bloods (Duke and UNC). Don't get me wrong, the Syracuse teams of old could compete against and beat Duke/UNC. But we've taken ourselves out of our domain. We'll never consistently beat UNC and Duke playing in the same conference because we've lost our edge in recruiting.

It was far less difficult to sell a kid to come play for Syracuse when we played in the Big East because we consistently were an upper echelon team. In the ACC, that's not happening because of Duke and UNC. Even with the nice recruiting class we've got coming in next season it's below Duke and UNC.

I actually think we'd be better off if we'd followed the Catholic schools and joined the new Big East. Heck, I think we'd be better off in the Big Ten too. There are no blue blood programs in the Big ten.

I think we may be a middle of the pack team in this conference most years because we lost our recruiting edge. An aging JB doesn't make it any easier. In this conference we're always going to be a notch below...

Out of curiosity, do you guys think Syracuse made the right decision to join the ACC?

In the Big East we were alpha dogs. Sure there was competition, but the competition wasn't blue bloods (Duke and UNC). Don't get me wrong, the Syracuse teams of old could compete against and beat Duke/UNC. But we've taken ourselves out of our domain. We'll never consistently beat UNC and Duke playing in the same conference because we've lost our edge in recruiting.

It was far less difficult to sell a kid to come play for Syracuse when we played in the Big East because we consistently were an upper echelon team. In the ACC, that's not happening because of Duke and UNC. Even with the nice recruiting class we've got coming in next season it's below Duke and UNC.

I actually think we'd be better off if we'd followed the Catholic schools and joined the new Big East. Heck, I think we'd be better off in the Big Ten too. There are no blue blood programs in the Big ten.

I think we may be a middle of the pack team in this conference most years because we lose our recruiting edge. An aging JB doesn't make it any easier. In this conference we're always going to be a notch below...

No regrets.

Moot point. We wouldn't be in the Big East anymore anyway. We'd be in the AAC with the other non-parochial football playing universities that used to be in the Big East. So in that vein, ACC wins over AAC in a landslide.

Joining the Catholic schools in the NBE wasn't an option.

It's for schools without FBS Football teams. We weren't invited.

We could have swapped places with UConn. They'd be in the ACC, and we'd be playing ECU, Tulane and Tulsa every year.

Moot point. We wouldn't be in the Big East anymore anyway. We'd be in the AAC with the other non-parochial universities that used to be in the Big East. So in that vein, ACC wins over AAC in a landslide.

Agreed, but if anyone thinks we can regularly compete with UNC and Duke... the first four years of finishing in the middle of the pack has done nothing to show me we fit here. Maybe we weren't invited to the Big East because of football. I get it...

But this is a recruiting nightmare in the ACC. I think JB knew it was going to be a game changer when we joined. He wasn't too thrilled initially.

0 regrets.

Our down years are 18-22 win seasons. We’ll be back in the top 20 soon enough. We belong in the conversation with Unc and virginia, we’ll start beating the dookies again. Im confident and am fine being patient. Scholarship reductions hurt, those are over. We will return a monster in Oshae Brissett. We should be a top 5 defensive unit with upside and depth offensively next year. Time to climb the acc.

I think we may be a middle of the pack team in this conference most years because we lost our recruiting edge. An aging JB doesn't make it any easier. In this conference we're always going to be a notch below...
Football drives the bus for $$$ and its not even close.

Why would we follow the catholic schools to the BE? Remember always football $$$ trumps all other sports. ACC is where we belong and not in a Midwestern conference.

Agreed, but if anyone thinks we can regularly compete with UNC and Duke... the first four years of finishing in the middle of the pack has done nothing to show me we fit here. Maybe we weren't invited to the Big East because of football. I get it...

But this is a recruiting nightmare in the ACC. I think JB knew it was going to be a game changer when we joined. He wasn't too thrilled initially.

You totally glossed over the fact we went 14-4 the first year.

UVA is winning the league regularly with 4 year players. We can win if we get the right guys for our system.

Football drives the bus for $$$ and its not even close.

Why would we follow the catholic schools to the BE? Remember always football $$$ trumps all other sports. ACC is where we belong and not in a Midwestern conference.

You're right it was a football and a money move, but I don't think the basketball team has benefited at all.

Umm our recruiting class next year is ranked pretty well. We can and will compete with UNC/Duke.

You totally glossed over the fact we went 14-4 the first year.

UVA is winning the league regularly with 4 year players. We can win if we get the right guys for our system.

Our first year in the ACC the composition of our team was not as effected by recruiting in the ACC.

Umm our recruiting class next year is ranked pretty well. We can and will compete with UNC/Duke.

I think we'll hold our own next year and have a good season. I don't think we finish first or even second in the ACC next year. Only time will tell.

Yes.

Never beat Duke consistently? Um, We're 3-4 vs Duke since we joined this conference. Four of those games were played at Cameron.

We currently have the 22 ranked recruiting class with one McDonalds All American. Another top 5o guy and another 4 year program guy. I would imagine that's about par for the course for Syracuse recruiting.

We're always going to be below Duke in the recruiting rankings if theyre gonna recruit like they are now. So is 99.9% of college basketball.

Joining the Big East was. not. happening. And we have nothing in common with Big 10 schools, with little alumni presence utside Chicago.

I will HAPPILY take "middle of the pack" in the best conference in America over our most likely alternate fate (American Athletic Conference.)

We made the right call and move at the time...The increase in money will help us renovate the Dome and if the NCAA didn't decide to inflict a ridiculous punishment on us we would not be struggling so much in basketball. It is a joke how they punished Boeheim after investigating us for 10 years. Wasn't there someone overheard in a restaurant or something saying that he was going to go after Boeheim. Was trying to find that story but couldn't. Either way most of the baskeball world agreed that our punishment was severe for the infractions. It has really hurt us, I bet you the rest of college basketball gets nothing close to it with FBI investigation.

Our first year in the ACC the composition of our team was not as effected by recruiting in the ACC.

We have a top 25 recruiting class coming in. How has recruiting in the ACC been affected?

So you're saying it's a negative to tell kids they are gonna play in Chapel Hill, Cameron, Charlottesville, Louisville? Not sure I get the point.

Since we joined 3 kids came and became first round picks. Our issues aren't the conference.

Both our football and basketball programs have suffered coaching / probation problems that were not caused by our entry into the ACC.
Though I wish the Big East was still our oyster, we have to deal with what is today's reality.
Let's get going and be the force in the ACC that we want to be.

Have you seen Duke's recruiting class? Each of their 4 recruits is ranked higher than Bazely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom