ACC Regrets? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Regrets?

However even considering changing one’s recruiting philosophy to what we are seeing right now - how would loosening up the transfer policy for immediate eligibility etc that college basketball has been contemplating, elimination of one and done’s etc have on programs?

That's another potentially complicating factor. I personally don't like the potential transfer rule change. I think it'll make college basketball a free for all. Don't like your playing time... don't like a teammate... don't like a coach... don't like the weather... you can immediately transfer. OMG that spells disaster. It'll make roster management next to impossible to juggle.

As for regrets about joining the ACC... t's been interesting to see everyone's opinions. Seems like we made the best move at the time. I just hope you all are right, and conference affiliation will not play as big a role in future recruiting as I think it may. It's going to be interesting to follow.

We'll never consistently beat UNC and Duke playing in the same conference because we've lost our edge in recruiting.

It was far less difficult to sell a kid to come play for Syracuse when we played in the Big East because we consistently were an upper echelon team. In the ACC, that's not happening because of Duke and UNC. Even with the nice recruiting class we've got coming in next season it's below Duke and UNC.

I have only been following the team for 25 years (since I was a teenager) but haven’t we made a living recruiting 1 top 25 (borderline McD AA) to go along with 2-3 guys rated 25-100?

Top 25 guys since ACC move: Malachi, Battle, Thompson, McCullough, Ennis, not to mention Bazley & Carey coming next year.

Guys ranked 26-100: basically everyone else.

There is an over blown reaction to moving to the ACC. The SANCTIONS and to a lesser extent head coaching flux has had the impact.

Notice next year is our best recruiting class in a few year years which is the year after the aforementioned hurdles have been put in the past.

Out of curiosity, do you guys think Syracuse made the right decision to join the ACC?

In the Big East we were alpha dogs. Sure there was competition, but the competition wasn't blue bloods (Duke and UNC). Don't get me wrong, the Syracuse teams of old could compete against and beat Duke/UNC. But we've taken ourselves out of our domain. We'll never consistently beat UNC and Duke playing in the same conference because we've lost our edge in recruiting.

It was far less difficult to sell a kid to come play for Syracuse when we played in the Big East because we consistently were an upper echelon team. In the ACC, that's not happening because of Duke and UNC. Even with the nice recruiting class we've got coming in next season it's below Duke and UNC.

I actually think we'd be better off if we'd followed the Catholic schools and joined the new Big East. Heck, I think we'd be better off in the Big Ten too. There are no blue blood programs in the Big ten.

I think we may be a middle of the pack team in this conference most years because we lost our recruiting edge. An aging JB doesn't make it any easier. In this conference we're always going to be a notch below...
Sanctions ... we're under sanctions, and they're not (yet).

Remove the sanctions and we're going to magically be like we were before the sanctions (top 5 program).

I don't think that UNC can slither out of an FBI investigation like they did the NCAA one, and the FBI investigation will lead to a 2nd NCAA investigation, and they're out of favors.

I get your point but I think iron sharpens iron.
Once we get a full roster and hopefully I can hope at least do things differently playing UNC and Duke each year is good for the program.

We were the big dog in the Big East because we were the most consistent. Our current teams these past 4 years wouldn’t have been the big dog either. We have become Seton Hall. We should be fine in the future. Duke and UNC don’t win all the time. UVA won the conference by 4 games this year. They have won a share of the regular season 3 times and 2 times outright since 2014.

Since Syracuse’s national championship season, Seton Hall has made 4 NCAA tourneys and won 20 games 5 times. In our absolute worst seasons we win 20 games and play in the NIT.

We’re a very, very rich man’s Seton Hall.

Its the NCAA probation that hurt us big time NOT the ACC. The big east had a lot of great teams and was arguably better than the ACC.

I didn't see this posted yet (and sorry if I missed it), but, it just seems so fitting:

51GCnpIbO%2BL._UX425_.jpg

Since Syracuse’s national championship season, Seton Hall has made 4 NCAA tourneys and won 20 games 5 times. In our absolute worst seasons we win 20 games and play in the NIT.

We’re a very, very rich man’s Seton Hall.
Is that really a good thing?

There was nothing better than the old Big East.
But it's gone and we move forward.
Under the circumstances of something called "reality" the Orange are in the best place they can be...the ACC...even though we are not a good geographic or cultural fit.

And soon we'll be on top!

Butler isn't a Catholic school , they are a private school that even has an FCS D1 football team in the "Pioneer League" though.
Butler is definitely an outlier in the BE on a couple of levels.

And SU and Duke were both Methodist schools at their founding.
Believe it or else, Wesleyan in CT is no longer affiliated with the Methodist Church.

Father Hesburgh's biggest goal as president of ND was to make sure ND did not go secular like Duke did. He viewed them as a model not to be emulated.

So an SU fan who I assume lives in N.C. isn’t happy that we left the Big East, playing closer to him while longing for our time in the Big East?

Good catch, an unselfish fan on here! I respect that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom