ACC Regrets? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Regrets?

No regrets. It was are only option. Our issue is not the ACC but the fact we have had a drop off in overall talent which should change starting next year.

Zero point zero.

Football drives the bus. Basketball is fine in the ACC it’s basically a Big East-ACC merger anyway.

Yep, BC, Pitt, VT, Miami all on the schedule.

How would we do against Villanova this year? (don't answer that).

Last year we lost to UConn, St. Johns, Georgetown. Thankfully not this year for whatever that is worth.

I think I'm safe in claiming I say this on behalf of just about everyone on our board - The only regret UVa fans have about Syracuse's joining the ACC in the latest expansion was that you weren't allowed to join in the first expansion when you were originally invited. Unfortunately, that's completely on Va's politicians. We apologize on their behalf.

We had two choices. Join the ACC or become what UCONN is now.

There's no point to having this discussion.

I did not say we made the wrong decision. I asked if we had any regrets.

Recruiting in a predominantly southern conference against 2 blue blooded programs will impact Syracuse. To think that it doesn't or won't, or to suggest that there is no point in discussing it, I guess is your prerogative. I think, perhaps, that may be naive.

We should be granted dual membership to the ACC and AAC, at least just to see how long it takes for anyone to notice the different acronyms.

Game 1 of the AAC tournament is today in Orlando. Plenty of good sections available.

Out of curiosity, do you guys think Syracuse made the right decision to join the ACC?

In the Big East we were alpha dogs. Sure there was competition, but the competition wasn't blue bloods (Duke and UNC). Don't get me wrong, the Syracuse teams of old could compete against and beat Duke/UNC. But we've taken ourselves out of our domain. We'll never consistently beat UNC and Duke playing in the same conference because we've lost our edge in recruiting.

It was far less difficult to sell a kid to come play for Syracuse when we played in the Big East because we consistently were an upper echelon team. In the ACC, that's not happening because of Duke and UNC. Even with the nice recruiting class we've got coming in next season it's below Duke and UNC.

I actually think we'd be better off if we'd followed the Catholic schools and joined the new Big East. Heck, I think we'd be better off in the Big Ten too. There are no blue blood programs in the Big ten.

I think we may be a middle of the pack team in this conference most years because we lost our recruiting edge. An aging JB doesn't make it any easier. In this conference we're always going to be a notch below...

Oh my god... if i see 1 more of these posts!!!

We are middle of pack right now because of the scholarship sanctions. 1 kid goes pro a year too early and we toast. well - it was 2 or 3 since the sanctions started (not sure if u can include ennis there or not) plus a couple transfers and a quitter.

We were forced to take rental units.

The recruiting is just fine. See Tyus, See Oshae - see next year.

Goodbye.

Recruiting in a predominantly southern conference against 2 blue blooded programs will impact Syracuse. To think that it doesn't or won't, or to suggest that there is no point in discussing it, I guess is your prerogative. I think, perhaps, that may be naive.
I get your point but I think iron sharpens iron.
Once we get a full roster and hopefully I can hope at least do things differently playing UNC and Duke each year is good for the program.

We were the big dog in the Big East because we were the most consistent. Our current teams these past 4 years wouldn’t have been the big dog either. We have become Seton Hall. We should be fine in the future. Duke and UNC don’t win all the time. UVA won the conference by 4 games this year. They have won a share of the regular season 3 times and 2 times outright since 2014.

We still recruit midwest, NYC, mid atlantic. NOthign changed. Nothing will change. the recruiting goes on.

I'm more worrried about Post Boeheim life and getting a good fit for the next 45 years after the last 45 years than i am about UNC or Duke.

Top 5 alpha dog next year. May want to invest in season tix to be sure you have a claim to reasonable Duke tix.

Look where UConn is. That fate could have been ours. I think the past few years of poor performance by us can be heavily correlated with the penalties placed on us by the NCAA.
UConn has won a national championship as a member of the AAC.

So you're saying it's a negative to tell kids they are gonna play in Chapel Hill, Cameron, Charlottesville, Louisville? Not sure I get the point.

Since we joined 3 kids came and became first round picks. Our issues aren't the conference.

I don't think it's a negative to tell kids you get to play against some top competition. I just am not sure if being a middle of the pack team is good enough to keep recruiting at our former pace. I guess we'll find out.

Yes, moving to the ACC was absolutely the right decision. Anybody who tries to pin our recent struggles on conference affiliation is simply not paying attention. The conference is nearly 50% former Big East schools.

Bottom line, if not for the sanctions, Cuse would be a perennial top 5 team in conference, just like we were in the old Big East, and I'm not going out on a limb here. The program is looking strong going forward.

Have you seen Duke's recruiting class? Each of their 4 recruits is ranked higher than Bazely.
That doesn't always translate anyway. Look at their current roster. On paper, there isn't a team in the country that should beat them, yet they have 6 losses (some of them to teams we beat this year, in a down year).

I'll admit, that last addition of Bagley, I said, if they lose more than 1 or 2 games, and don't win it all, they have underachieved. After watching them play, I am not sure there aren't 4 or 5 "teams" better than them.

Why would anybody have any regrets? It was the ACC or become a mid-major. No-brainer.

Sure, maybe we'd have our hoops teams in the BE or something, but the entire athletic department would be suffering if we didn't make the move to the ACC. We're in a stable place with strong sports across the board, an improving football team and a men's hoops team that will hopefully begin returning to relevancy as we move out of the ridiculous sanctions. Without the ACC, we're UConn probably, or if we're lucky, Cincy. Imagine playing games against Tulsa, Central/South Florida, East Carolina, Tulane, etc? YUCK YUCK YUCK.

In the past I would have agreed that the only alternative was a fate like UConn’s. If we’re talking strictly hoops, there is an alternative path, as shown by Villanova. Competing with Nova every year for the crown and piling up 4-6 loss regular seasons sure sounds good right now.
Is it better to be first or second in the Big East or middle of the pack in the ACC? Also, as much as people look down on the AAC, they have 3 teams in the Top 25 right now.

Of course that is all just fantasy, because our football program absolutely is incompatible with any other move than the one we actually did make.

I still think it was the right move, I just fear that we end up being a small fish in the big pond. The next few years are going to be very important for the future of SU basketball AND football.

I'll let next season play out before I start complaining about the ACC, but I'm officially sick of adding mediocre basketball to crap football as our only history in this league.

Both of those need to change asap.

As far as regrets... ZERO. The ACC is the best fit for us as a P5 and I'd rather not be UCONN.

Oh my god... if i see 1 more of these posts!!!

We are middle of pack right now because of the scholarship sanctions. 1 kid goes pro a year too early and we toast. well - it was 2 or 3 since the sanctions started (not sure if u can include ennis there or not) plus a couple transfers and a quitter.

We were forced to take rental units.

The recruiting is just fine. See Tyus, See Oshae - see next year.

Goodbye.

That's fine if that's your stance. I hope you're right. I make no definitive claims. I think perhaps you're making a claim that is no more verifiable than mine. There too many variables to determine whether the challenge in recruiting is due to:
Conference affiliation
Sanctions
The age of our coach
Dynamics with Hopkins
The exclusivity of the zone
The moneybags and agents.
Etc.

If you understand research you know that having too many variables decreases the reliability of the results. So my "asking" if the conference affiliation impacts recruiting is far less of a reach than saying "we are middle of the pack right now because of sanctions," and that recruiting will be fine. That is an opinion far less substantiated than my question.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a negative to tell kids you get to play against some top competition. I just am not sure if being a middle of the pack team is good enough to keep recruiting at our former pace. I guess we'll find out.

I think we're a middle of the pack team for a lot of reasons that hopefully are at the end of it's cycle.

Why would anybody have any regrets? It was the ACC or become a mid-major. No-brainer.

Sure, maybe we'd have our hoops teams in the BE or something, but the entire athletic department would be suffering if we didn't make the move to the ACC. We're in a stable place with strong sports across the board, an improving football team and a men's hoops team that will hopefully begin returning to relevancy as we move out of the ridiculous sanctions. Without the ACC, we're UConn probably, or if we're lucky, Cincy. Imagine playing games against Tulsa, Central/South Florida, East Carolina, Tulane, etc? YUCK YUCK YUCK.

Not to mention, this is the year the Dome reno likely takes place. ;):)

I think we're a middle of the pack team for a lot of reasons that hopefully are at the end of it's cycle.
Good optimistic response. Hope you're right!!!

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom