ACC trips are going to be fun... | Syracusefan.com

ACC trips are going to be fun...

Scooch

Living Legend
I spent a couple days in Atlanta last week. Went through the Georgia Tech campus and saw Bobby Dodd stadium. It reminded me a little of Alumni Stadium at BC, but in an even more urban setting (it's really built into campus/downtown). Looked like a fun place to catch a game, and Atlanta is a decent city to spend some time in.

I've never been big into attending away games, but assuming our team is vaguely competitive I envision hitting up a lot of the ACC venues. Raleigh, Tallahassee, Death Valley, MD/DC and Boston is a great division rotation. Sprinkle in some Atlanta, Chapel Hill, Charlottesville and Miami and it should be fun.

One thing we lacked in the Big East were away games in TRUE college towns. Morgantown was about it. With the ACC we've got an opportunity to travel to Charlottesville, Clemson, Chapel Hill and Blacksburg. While not college towns, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Raleigh, Winston-Salem and Pittsburgh at least hold their own against (and in my opinion trump) Cincinnati, Louisville, Tampa, Orlando, Memphis and Hartford. The ACC can't come soon enough for me.

The parking in Charlottesville and Chapel Hill is spotty, might not be for you. :)

Daytripping to games is going to be fun.

I used to love going to away games. The new Big East sucked the life out of me when it came to that. Trips to Louisville, Cincy, Rutgers, UConn, USF did not scream atmosphere or stadium location that I just couldn't miss.

Looking forward to looking forward to away games again.

I think my wife might miss the 2005-2012 version of the Big East more than anyone. For at least 2 months of the year anyway.

bc every other year for 18 years was a no brainer for me, so glad that one is back for good.

maryland is another great easy trip.

been to the SU games at unc and ncst. saw wake get beat by app state in 98 after tory holt toyed with SU that thursday, nice little stadium. at least with dook i feel id be getting as close to a guaranteed win as there can be for a roader.

charlottesville will be great.

atlanta was better for me young and single, but still a nice trip.

vpi & pitt well whatever.

flast, clemson and miami are something to put a smile on ones face.

the bmw is a flat out joke and a D level conf.

Oh Lord

One thing we lacked in the Big East were away games in TRUE college towns. Morgantown was about it. With the ACC we've got an opportunity to travel to Charlottesville, Clemson, Chapel Hill and Blacksburg. While not college towns, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Raleigh, Winston-Salem and Pittsburgh at least hold their own against (and in my opinion trump) Cincinnati, Louisville, Tampa, Orlando, Memphis and Hartford. The ACC can't come soon enough for me.

I agree with you if you add city attrations + college gameday environment the ACC list truimphs but...Cincinnati, Louisville, Tampa, Orlando + Memphis are all very nice city's to visit in the Fall. The problem is most BE gameday weekends are not usually a big deal in their respective cities. However, new Big East cities' are actually pretty damn good on the touristy rankings: Orlando, Tampa, Cincy, Louisville, NYC (via Rutgirls/UConn), Memphis, DFW, Annapolis (DC), San Diego and Boise.

One thing we lacked in the Big East were away games in TRUE college towns. Morgantown was about it.
My away-game trip to Morgantown was absolutely the worst away game experience I have ever had. I'll never go back. The next year I went to Blacksburg... and other than the Orangemen getting killed by VT, it was a great experience.

bat least with dook i feel id be getting as close to a guaranteed win as there can be for a roader.
Oh Lord

Famous last words. I said that about Miami, OH when we picked that one year as our away game.

My away-game trip to Morgantown was absolutely the worst away game experience I have ever had. I'll never go back. The next year I went to Blacksburg... and other than the Orangemen getting killed by VT, it was a great experience.
All depends on the game you go to. I had the time of my life (and the best party weekend ever) when I visited for the 19-14 upset. Yes, there are some of the classless fans that everyone envisions, but I had a blast.

All depends on the game you go to. I had the time of my life (and the best party weekend ever) when I visited for the 19-14 upset. Yes, there are some of the classless fans that everyone envisions, but I had a blast.
I guess. I didn't mind the actual game...was good even though SU lost. Ok... maybe the part about the fans throwing things at the SU players wasn't so good I guess. The rest was consistently horrendous. List of times/places WVU fans acted the classless hillbilly stereo type (including the F-M grad/SU transfer we met ) yelling insults, etc... nothing good-natured about it.: (1) getting out of the car. (2) Walking to a nearby bar. (3) inside the bar (4) walk to stadium (5) walk from stadium to car (6) getting in car . Best part about it was leaving and vowing never to return.

I've been to many different away games. Always have a great time with that exception.

bc every other year for 18 years was a no brainer for me, so glad that one is back for good.

maryland is another great easy trip.

been to the SU games at unc and ncst. saw wake get beat by app state in 98 after tory holt toyed with SU that thursday, nice little stadium. at least with dook i feel id be getting as close to a guaranteed win as there can be for a roader.

charlottesville will be great.

atlanta was better for me young and single, but still a nice trip.

vpi & pitt well whatever.

flast, clemson and miami are something to put a smile on ones face.

the bmw is a flat out joke and a D level conf.

Oh Lord

BC is without question the worst tailgating school in America. Boston is a great town. But the football atmosphere is lacking.

BC is without question the worst tailgating school in America. Boston is a great town. But the football atmosphere is lacking.

Basically true, but the scene at the Blue Chips lots is OK.

well somebody tell imatt STAT that there is a place worse than SU.

i always partied on the Shea Field lot with the rest of the snot-nosed elite. fun times there too scooch.

Oh Lord

Chapel Hill is an absolute BLAST. I got stuck there in Homecoming weekend a few years back. Franklin Street rocks, and the talent from ages 20 to 50 was remarkable. Book it Dano

I had some nice tailgates at BC...but I think the SU tailgaters outnumbered the BC ones there.

i always partied on the Shea Field lot with the rest of the snot-nosed elite. fun times there too scooch.

Yep, good spot too. The BC trip is always more about going out in Boston on Fri/Sat night than it is about tailgating.

Not every trip needs to be the same.

Yep, good spot too. The BC trip is always more about going out in Boston on Fri/Sat night than it is about tailgating.

I actually have had great times tailgating at BC. 94, 96, 98, 00 games. All very good times. But I guess since I was given access to that main Shea Field. It's huge and right next to the stadium, perfect tailgating spot, if you know someone. A lot of schools are like that though. Tennessee seemed impossible unless you brought a boat or wanted to fire up your grill next to a gas pump. Insane pregame bar scene though.

BC's fans might make one sleepy, but I love Chestnut Hill. It's as collegiate an atmosphere as you can get in a big city. I just hope we play the games in early to mid October. Weather was always great for those games. But late November, gets dicey. Plus it's a nice city to watch the Yankees win World Series games, as I did post game for 96 (clincher) and 98 (game 1). If you're into that kind of thing.

I actually have had great times tailgating at BC. 94, 96, 98, 00 games. All very good times. But I guess since I was given access to that main Shea Field. It's huge and right next to the stadium, perfect tailgating spot, if you know someone. A lot of schools are like that though. Tennessee seemed impossible unless you brought a boat or wanted to fire up your grill next to a gas pump. Insane pregame bar scene though.

BC's fans might make one sleepy, but I love Chestnut Hill. It's as collegiate an atmosphere as you can get in a big city. I just hope we play the games in early to mid October. Weather was always great for those games. But late November, gets dicey. Plus it's a nice city to watch the Yankees win World Series games, as I did post game for 96 (clincher) and 98 (game 1). If you're into that kind of thing.

1. Please never mention that 2000 game ever again.

2. You go to hell for that last comment. ;)

Bingo.

and when you get a nice tailgate as well...HOMERUN.

Oh Lord

1. Please never mention that 2000 game ever again.

2. You go to hell for that last comment. ;)
ha! so true.

and wow, i didnt go in 96. assumed i had, was at the Stadium. forgot about that.

98 i did watch Tino's Grand Slam in the Beacon Hill Pub, somehow made it back for Sunday's tilt.

ohhhh to be young......

Oh Lord

Oh Lord

That's a good place to tailgate if you're fourtunte enough to get in there. Few and far between at BC.

The parking in Charlottesville and Chapel Hill is spotty, might not be for you. :)

Daytripping to games is going to be fun.

If by "spotty" you mean the parking in Chapel Hill is non-existent by Kenan, you are correct sir. The public lots make Manley South look like it's just outside Gate A at the Carrier Dome. As for the spaces you see around Kenan, if you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them.

But, Kenan is a great setting and the walk to Franklin Street is a short one and well worth the journey. As for fans at the game, you'll know the Yankees on sight -- they're the ones who aren't wearing a blazer/tie/khakis or a sun dress as the case may be. But, you just might be able to catch this year's version of Archie Bell & the Drells playing on the front lawn of the frat boys' house.

Even though it now looks more like a small city than the small village I knew, Chapel Hill is not to be missed!

Chapel Hill is an absolute BLAST. I got stuck there in Homecoming weekend a few years back. Franklin Street rocks, and the talent from ages 20 to 50 was remarkable. Book it Dano

If by "remarkable" you mean out of our league, you are correct sir. But they do turn you down in the nicest way!

If by "spotty" you mean the parking in Chapel Hill is non-existent by Kenan, you are correct sir. The public lots make Manley South look like it's just outside Gate A at the Carrier Dome. As for the spaces you see around Kenan, if you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them.

But, Kenan is a great setting and the walk to Franklin Street is a short one and well worth the journey. As for fans at the game, you'll know the Yankees on sight -- they're the ones who aren't wearing a blazer/tie/khakis or a sun dress as the case may be. But, you just might be able to catch this year's version of Archie Bell & the Drells playing on the front lawn of the frat boys' house.

Even though it now looks more like a small city than the small village I knew, Chapel Hill is not to be missed!
But there's tons of buses running from various spots around town. Drop off 2 blocks from the stadium. Easy

But there's tons of buses running from various spots around town. Drop off 2 blocks from the stadium. Easy

Listen Bub...we are Syracuse fans. I expect to arrive 8-10 mins prior to kickoff and park within 2 blocks of Kenan for $5 or less...oh and have pony rides set up outside the stadium for my kids. And I do not want to wait leaving...I have a hellacious 11 minute commute to Dewitt waiting for me when I get back to CNY.