ACC vs. Maryland: Mediation Must be Before July 10, 2014 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC vs. Maryland: Mediation Must be Before July 10, 2014

I mean I highly doubt the ACC would do this because it would be a little extreme. Maryland is going to pay an exit fee either 20 million, 52 million, or a negotiated amount. I wouldn't do this because Maryland has had about 35 million withheld from them by the ACC and that could be credited as atleast partial payment I don't know if the bylaws state the withdrawal payment must be done all at once. When Syracuse left the Big East we paid 2.5 million of the 5 million to withdraw with our notice. Then Syracuse sent another 5 million to the Big East before they left as the amount to leave was 7.5 million.

Just looking for a way to accelerate this because all of these motion filings and appeals by Maryland are just causing delay and not much else. This won't get resolved this year at this rate. Maryland is gone already. They should pay the exit fee and leave. Yes the ACC has held about $35 million in offset per the bylaws, but that is held up in escrow waiting the resolution of the case.

Huh?
I don't want to get into a pissing match my comment was more directed at Kaiser for trying stick it to me without knowing the law rather than you in our thread weeks ago.

My point then was that Maryland's 30 days to request moving the case to Federal Court didn't start until their motion for improper jurisdiction were decided. Maryland had the diversity option in their back pocket the entire time those motions were filed. This case if it went the distance was never going to be decided in a NC State Court if NC was established as having the proper jurisdiction which it has as decided by the courts then Maryland was always going to file for federal courts within the 30 days after that ruling.[/quote]
I have no knowledge of the law.

None.

For a while in my 20s and early 30s I was pretty adept at finding ways around it, but I digress.

What I do like and know about is a good post-off. I believe I commented on one months ago that you were in where somebody threw a whole bunch of shlit out that I felt was pretty cool, so I commended it.

So I'm gathering you felt the need here to let me know, that a random post in my lot of 4000+, shouldn't have been fired off??

Get in line son.

I don't want to get into a pissing match my comment was more directed at Kaiser for trying stick it to me without knowing the law rather than you in our thread weeks ago.

My point then was that Maryland's 30 days to request moving the case to Federal Court didn't start until their motion for improper jurisdiction were decided. Maryland had the diversity option in their back pocket the entire time those motions were filed. This case if it went the distance was never going to be decided in a NC State Court if NC was established as having the proper jurisdiction which it has as decided by the courts then Maryland was always going to file for federal courts within the 30 days after that ruling.
I have no knowledge of the law.

None.

For a while in my 20s and early 30s I was pretty adept at finding ways around it, but I digress.

What I do like and know about is a good post-off. I believe I commented on one months ago that you were in where somebody threw a whole bunch of shlit out that I felt was pretty cool, so I commended it.

So I'm gathering you felt the need here to let me know, that a random post in my lot of 4000+, shouldn't have been fired off??

Get in line son.[/quote]
We have a decent relationship on this board your posts are respected by me I would hope I get the same from you. The reason I made my post was I predicted a month ago this exact thing would happen and somebody I thought was Frozen but I guess not came back at me like I had no clue about how much time you have to file to move a case to federal court and other things.
You responded to that tweaking me as I think we have a healthy back and forth thing on here we agree on stuff and have good natured debates on what we disagree on. I didn't appreciate that tweak because I felt I was right.
Water under the bridge now I can take a punch but when I can I will throw it was good natured anyway.

All good Al.

Keep it up.

The board is better when u go off.

It's better when anyone who can do it, does it. Especially without using foul language as a direct insult to do so. just like spending an entire post by creating a thread just to insult 1 person does nothing.

Just disagree as you have (and we are often on same team for sure) and doing it strongly...is the way.

As you were.

Oh, JR can opt out next year. Mo money, Mo money...

The same ruling would apply to GOR's and any contract the State (or Arm of the State) wishes to negate.

The BTN would lose big if Michigan, tOSU or PSU, possibly lose big with the loss of Indiana or UNL. The GOR would not apply and the schools could move as they wish, even retain share rights (obviously, the remaining schools would file suit, declare the GOR that the leaving school had a share in as invalid -exercising their own sovereignty - but this would cause all sorts of headaches and would not stop moves). The purpose of contracts is to avoid headaches, not create more headaches.

I'm confused why Michigan or OSU would move? If the GOR is weakened that would benefit conferences like the Big 10/SEC and PAC as they could now go after schools from the ACC or Big 12 without worrying about the GOR being in the equation.

I'm confused why Michigan or OSU would move? If the GOR is weakened that would benefit conferences like the Big 10/SEC and PAC as they could now go after schools from the ACC or Big 12 without worrying about the GOR being in the equation.

I think the real threat to the Big Ten would be what happens when, say, a Penn State game is scheduled to be on BTN and someone at PSU figures out that ESPN/Fox/NBC/etc. would pay a lot more for that ONE GAME. If the GoR is unenforceable then all of a sudden ever team is independent again...

Well if the GOR's hold up like they should, the Big 12 will be in some trouble. Interestingly enough, the Pac 10's contract ends in 2025, the same year as the BIG 12's. They will be a sitting duck in 2025, a full 2 years before the ACC in 2027. Not to mention, with our 5 year look in's and the current progress being made in ACC football and the thought of an ACC network, our product is looking stronger then ever and our media rights should only go up from here. I think by the time these contracts are running out, the ACC will be bringing in the third highest revenue from media rights among conferences.

I think the real threat to the Big Ten would be what happens when, say, a Penn State game is scheduled to be on BTN and someone at PSU figures out that ESPN/Fox/NBC/etc. would pay a lot more for that ONE GAME. If the GoR is unenforceable then all of a sudden ever team is independent again...

No media company buys the rights to one game, things aren't valued that way.

It is a hypothetical to show the potential of what could happen, more to the extreme, but a possibility. Realistically, HokieMark is right in that PSU can take their game and leave the BTN for ESPN/ABC, while Michigan can grab the CSB slot, tOSU takes the NBC slot (assuming ND is not on at that time) and UNL is on Fox Sports while the remaining 10 BTN teams are missing out on the income generated from the BTN and these four are raking bigger bucks (not having 10 other mouths to feed & more lucrative deal v. BTN). This in no way harms the elite schools but the Iowas, Wisconsins, Illinois, etc. will be diminished.

The point is that if Maryland has their way in the courts, any contract with a State entity is of no real value. Some courts have already determined that as long as the contract is valid otherwise, the State has waived its right to claim sovereignty, as in NC.

No media company buys the rights to one game, things aren't valued that way.

That is because of the contracts. If Maryland has it's way in court, State contracts are meaningless and we go back to TV controlling which teams/games get on TV. States that tend to honor contracts will have more ideal/marketable teams, Maryland probably wouldn't be high on any broadcaster's list.

That is because of the contracts. If Maryland has it's way in court, State contracts are meaningless and we go back to TV controlling which teams/games get on TV. States that tend to honor contracts will have more ideal/marketable teams, Maryland probably wouldn't be high on any broadcaster's list.

Can you clarify by what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that TV networks do not decide which games are broadcast today?

Can you clarify by what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that TV networks do not decide which games are broadcast today?

I am referring to the networks no longer having obligations to the conferences. They would be more able to pick and choose the teams they want (assuming they have no issue with the state entity). Ex. Alabama gets lots of attention, but networks would not have to show Alabama wasting SEC bottom feeders. They would "advise" Alabama which opponents they would be more willing to televise. Since teh conferences would be useless, Alabama would be free to contract as they wish.

I don't think we get this far, just carrying out Maryland's dream scenario. I think that Maryland will be "advised" by her new conference mates that she should negotiate.

See I think, when something needs to be done to save the conference or protect the investors, the better approach is to...

- Get the investors to pony up from $13m to $17M
- Add Notre Dame commitment games to the schedule
- Get the investors to pony up another $1-2M for ND
- Work out a deal for the Orange Bowl, while not on par with the Rose or Sugar, is a hell of a lot better than anyone thought they'd pull off, to keep the financial impact minimal
- Make sure you've got a full share of the playoff system, and a full seat at the table, with no financial impact based on past (poor) performance
- Go back to 8 conference games to keep the football schools healthy
- Take a bonafide football (and basketball) school with a great athletic department, rather than a basketball school that's been playing FBS football for a decade, academics be damned
- Get a promise from ESPN to strongly consider a network, or additional compensation if no network
- Get the partners to pony up another $1-2M if teams will sign a GOR
- Get the schools to now willingly sign onto a GOR

That's how you save a conference, make sure it's worth saving. That's what stabilized the ACC, not a massive exit fee.

You can leave at the time of any exit fee vote if you are not willing to abide by the majority vote at that time, therefore no one is forced to stay in the conference if they do not agree to a higher exit fee, but once it has been voted in and the effective date is passed you are expected to abide by the majority vote

It is a hypothetical to show the potential of what could happen, more to the extreme, but a possibility. Realistically, HokieMark is right in that PSU can take their game and leave the BTN for ESPN/ABC, while Michigan can grab the CSB slot, tOSU takes the NBC slot (assuming ND is not on at that time) and UNL is on Fox Sports while the remaining 10 BTN teams are missing out on the income generated from the BTN and these four are raking bigger bucks (not having 10 other mouths to feed & more lucrative deal v. BTN). This in no way harms the elite schools but the Iowas, Wisconsins, Illinois, etc. will be diminished.

The point is that if Maryland has their way in the courts, any contract with a State entity is of no real value. Some courts have already determined that as long as the contract is valid otherwise, the State has waived its right to claim sovereignty, as in NC.

Interesting...a 1%er situation or maybe even a civil war going on there. Your own autonomy and divide and conquer the TV cash cow. I never really thought of it that way before. I knew $ was and is always the key and if that happened just reminds me of having the days of 3 networks again.