Accepting nominations for the most unappreciated Oranges | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Accepting nominations for the most unappreciated Oranges

Two amazing players who for their positions i believe were the smallest to ever play for and star for SU. Bug Williams and Bob Dooms. Bug was the fastest player outside of Calvin Murphy that i have seen in person baseline to baseline. He was amazing. Bob was about 6'5 built like a refrigerator and handled opposing bigs through strength an amazing sense of where the ball would land and pure grit.

Hakim Warrick. He is overshadowed by Melo and GMac but he shouldn’t be.

I just want to say, everyone took this way more seriously than I expected, and a thread that I intended to be a fun place to name fairly obscure players actually grew into a pretty interesting discussion.

Dave Johnson hit a Big East tourny winning shot against Georgetown and was a great shooting forward. I never see him mentioned at all,
I’ll second DJ being unappreciated. We have had so few 20 PPG scorers in the Boeheim era; Dave Johnson averaged 19.4 his Jr. year (as Robin to Billy’s Batman) and 19.8 as a Sr. (while Moten was a Frosh).

DJ also made some big plays and had memorable moments including the previously mentioned Dome rocking put back dunk against GTown

I think he gets overshadowed because he wasn’t the main man until his Sr year when a lot of attention was given to Moten’s debut. He also had some disciplinary issues as a Jr. which (similar to what I posted about Burgan) probably hurts his reputation. I vaguely recall hearing he had some issues while working for NY State after his basketball career. I don’t recall the details and can’t find anything online though.

I’ll second DJ being unappreciated. We have had so few 20 PPG scorers in the Boeheim era; Dave Johnson averaged 19.4 his Jr. year (as Robin to Billy’s Batman) and 19.8 as a Sr. (while Moten was a Frosh).

DJ also made some big plays and had memorable moments including the previously mentioned Dome rocking put back dunk against GTown

I think he gets overshadowed because he wasn’t the main man until his Sr year when a lot of attention was given to Moten’s debut. He also had some disciplinary issues as a Jr. which (similar to what I posted about Burgan) probably hurts his reputation. I vaguely recall hearing he had some issues while working for NY State after his basketball career. I don’t recall the details and can’t find anything online though.

That's interesting. Dave Johnson is one "where are they now" I have always been curious about. I haven't heard a word about him in years. Latest update on wikipedia is his European pro career ended in 2000-01.

Last edited:
That's interesting. Dave Johnson is one "where are they know" I have always been curious about. I haven't heard a word about him in years. Latest update on wikipedia is his European pro career ended in 2000-01.

I was hoping to catch some footage of him in the Jordan doc (can't remember if he was drafted by Chicago or Portland, but I think he played with the Bulls during their third championship year), but no dice.

Hakim Warrick. He is overshadowed by Melo and GMac but he shouldn’t be.
I don't think he is one of the best 4 year players ever at su. The Vermont game hurts his legacy a bit. Had that debacle not happened and they made the run I thought they were going to go on. His legacy is that much greater.

I don't think he is one of the best 4 year players ever at su. The Vermont game hurts his legacy a bit. Had that debacle not happened and they made the run I thought they were going to go on. His legacy is that much greater.

How many Cuse players have made 3rd team All American in the last 25 years? Hak did that his JR year. Even rarer is 1st team which he did SR year. His last two years were amongst the best in Cuse history. And his Soph year was pretty good as well. Despite his FR year being barely existent, he is still at the top of the scoring and rebounding all time list. He flat out was a better player than GMac but doesn’t have even close to the legacy.

How many Cuse players have made 3rd team All American in the last 25 years? Hak did that his JR year. Even rarer is 1st team which he did SR year. His last two years were amongst the best in Cuse history. And his Soph year was pretty good as well. Despite his FR year being barely existent, he is still at the top of the scoring and rebounding all time list. He flat out was a better player than GMac but doesn’t have even close to the legacy.
Sorry I should have structured that better. I don't think he's overlooked. I think he's one of the best 4 year players in su history.