According to Andy Katz | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

According to Andy Katz

UConn will simply go to the Big 10 if the ACC turns them down. Who says the Big has to stop at 14? That would completely lock up the NY market. Who would be 16 in Big 10?

UConn will simply go to the Big 10 if the ACC turns them down. Who says the Big has to stop at 14? That would completely lock up the NY market. Who would be 16 in Big 10?
Taking two teams no one in NYC cares about would lock up the market? You don't say.

Taking two teams no one in NYC cares about would lock up the market? You don't say.
And few thought they'd take Rutgers. It would completely stick to the ACC. No one in the northeast would care about the ACC. Not sure I would.

My bad on the phone view of twitter. It wasnt Katz that was saying that about UConn, it was someone saying it to Katz.

Edwin F. Brooks@orangeskin
@ESPNAndyKatz From what I was told, UConn has no shot because BC is opposed to them joining the ACC. Calhoun burned that bridge in 2004.
Stranger things have happened, but I find it hard to believe that BC has that kind of power in the ACC. That being said, if the NC mafia can push their desire for UConn over L'ville to fruition, I have to believe that FSU (and probably Clemson and possibly others) hightail it out on the first train. And NC et al drag the conference down with their shortsightedness. Unfortunately, we get dragged down with them. Oh Lord

That one tweet makes so little sense. I figured him better than that. If odd # doesn't matter, then stay at 13. Add 2 more schools so you can split the same pot of money 2 additional ways?

Maybe he shouldn't clear his head first. Or just stick to talking to sources about college hoops teams.

Wrong... the reason you take Louisville is to (1) Keep FSU and Clemson from jumpin' ship (hopefully) AND (2) Keep the Big 12 from grabbing them and getting a leg up on the ACC.

That's why you take them and get to 14.

The reason why you then grab UCONN for 15 is (1) it weakens - if not eliminates - future eastern expansion possibilities for the B1G and (2) puts to rest any argument as to who is the premier Hoops conference forever more.

Then you sit at 15 and wait for Notre Dame - whether it be 5 years, 25, or 50.

And few thought they'd take Rutgers. It would completely stick to the ACC. No one in the northeast would care about the ACC. Not sure I would.

So you wouldn't be interested in Cuse vs Duke or Cuse vs UNC? You will care about any conference SU is in, and so will alot of NYC.

Also, if the B1G wants to expand, they will absolutely go after SU over UConn & BC.

Nobody cares about burned bridges at this point. They will take whoever is the best choice for the good of the ACC.

Wrong... the reason you take Louisville is to (1) Keep FSU and Clemson from jumpin' ship (hopefully) AND (2) Keep the Big 12 from grabbing them and getting a leg up on the ACC.

The reason why you then grab UCONN for 15 is (1) it weakens - if not eliminates - future eastern expansion possibilities for the B1G and (2) puts to rest any argument as to who is the premier Hoops conference forever more.

Ok. But I don't agree with any of those points. How do we even know FSU really wants Louisville? You only take Louisville if you think it's necessary for the TV contract $.

Adding UConn weakens future eastern expansion possibilities for the B1G? The B1G just took Maryland. They'll just take UConn if they want after we add them. And in the post Calhoun era, there are no guarantees that UConn continues to be a power. We have Duke, UNC, Syracuse. I wouldn't worry about how the hoops league is perceived.

How would scheduling a 15 team football conference work?

There's gotta be some way to do it.

Three 5-team pods would work, but then you'd have to figure out how to have a conference championship game, per the NCAA's idiotic rules.

Yeah, that's pretty much the thought process I have come around to as well.

Ok. But I don't agree with any of those points. How do we even know FSU really wants Louisville? You only take Louisville if you think it's necessary for the TV contract $.

Adding UConn weakens future eastern expansion possibilities for the B1G? The B1G just took Maryland. They'll just take UConn if they want after we add them. And in the post Calhoun era, there are no guarantees that UConn continues to be a power. We have Duke, UNC, Syracuse. I wouldn't worry about how the hoops league is perceived.

Thing is, Chip, no guarantees that SU remains a power in the post JB era. UConn is building a basketball practice facility that will dwarf the Melo Center. I think UConn is a solid investment in many ways.

Thing is, Chip, no guarantees that SU remains a power in the post JB era. UConn is building a basketball practice facility that will dwarf the Melo Center. I think UConn is a solid investment in many ways.

True, but we're already in the league. This is about adding someone new.

How big does a basketball facility need to be? Our stadium dwarfs there stadium, for whatever that is worth.

This is where my 1 1/2-day old theory on diminishing returns in facilities investment comes into play.

The Melo Center is state-of-the-art and beautiful, right? Every recruit seems to rave about it, as do current players. So how many recruits is UConn going to land over SU because they build something bigger?

It reminds me of the story Eric Clapton used to tell about guitar playing. He said as a kid he wanted to be the "best", which meant playing the most intricate solos. After a while he realized that no matter how technically amazing he could be, someone would always come along and be better. So he quit that approach and focused on playing his "best", meaning with heartfelt emotion and beautiful song craft. No one can "best" that.

No one can win an arms race. Just gotta be good enough for what you need to accomplish.

No one can win an arms race. Just gotta be good enough for what you need to accomplish.
Very true. But, also very true, you can easily LOSE an arms race.

Have you been falling asleep in class? It isn't about the true market...it is about extorting cable companies to carry the Big 10 Network at higher carriage rates and using the Yankees as the big stick.

How would scheduling a 15 team football conference work?

There's gotta be some way to do it.

Three 5-team pods would work, but then you'd have to figure out how to have a conference championship game, per the NCAA's idiotic rules.

I'm a little surprised that people like the 15 idea, especially by adding two Big East teams. Short term, we make less money (X divided by 15 is less than X divided by 14). Long term, do we ever make it up? All because the Big 12 might add Louisville, and the B1G might add UConn? (which I just can't imagine ever happening).

Expansion fever I guess, catch it...

I said this over and over yesterday <15/16>...but no one liked me? sniff sniff pout pout :)

Agreed about the odd number thing.

I'm worried that the rumblings about FSU wanting Louisville and UNC wanting UConn (mostly because they don't want the league to take the academic hit of Louisville) could be true.

The ACC cannot afford to lose either FSU or UNC.

Is the compromise of taking both even on the table?

Cheers,
Neil

It hasn't been about academics in quite a while...if the ACC is still letting that shape the discussion they might as well stay put so that fewer schools are impacted by the ultimate collapse of the conference.

Have you been falling asleep in class? It isn't about the true market...it is about extorting cable companies to carry the Big 10 Network at higher carriage rates and using the Yankees as the big stick.

Not one single TV would have to be turned on. That's what sucks about some of this. We get selected for our brand, another school gets selected because of how many TV's there are in a DMA whether anyone turns them on or not.

Florida State doesn't want either Louisville or UConn really but if those are the only options they'll take the former. FSU wants a "name" football school, I don't think adding Louisville keeps them in the conference given the current membership and climate.

I'm a little surprised that people like the 15 idea, especially by adding two Big East teams. Short term, we make less money (X divided by 15 is less than X divided by 14). Long term, do we ever make it up? All because the Big 12 might add Louisville, and the B1G might add UConn? (which I just can't imagine ever happening).

Expansion fever I guess, catch it...

not necessarily since were still in negoitiations with espn since the nd move

Gotta be the Ville, Penn State was never happening and ND is a pipe dream. There the best fball school out there by far and have a good basketball and I believe baseball program. No doubt they shoudl be the choice.

You are talking about the guys we just crushed? (Sorry, could not resist.)