According to Andy Katz | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

According to Andy Katz

I'm fine with Louisville.

It will keep Charlie Strong there and that's a good thing and will enhance the ACC Football profile.

Get it done and lets get started on putting the "ACC" logo on Ernie Davis Field.
Charlie is probably gone to Arkansas or maybe TN.

Charlie is probably gone to Arkansas or maybe TN.

You know I thought that as well but I wonder how much of a chip he might have on his shoulder for those schools because they didn't hire him before?

You know I thought that as well but I wonder how much of a chip he might have on his shoulder for those schools because they didn't hire him before?
$$$$$$$$$$$

You are talking about the guys we just crushed? (Sorry, could not resist.)

Look at Maryland how many teams have obliterated them this year?

Wrong... the reason you take Louisville is to (1) Keep FSU and Clemson from jumpin' ship (hopefully) AND (2) Keep the Big 12 from grabbing them and getting a leg up on the ACC.

That's why you take them and get to 14.

The reason why you then grab UCONN for 15 is (1) it weakens - if not eliminates - future eastern expansion possibilities for the B1G and (2) puts to rest any argument as to who is the premier Hoops conference forever more.

Then you sit at 15 and wait for Notre Dame- whether it be 5 years, 25, or 50.

I'll just paraphrase the words of that contemporary pop music princess, one Miss Taylor Swift:
"Notre Dame will NEVER EVER EVER...I said, NEVER EVER EVER...join the ACC".
JMHO

I'll just paraphrase the words of that contemporary pop music princess, one Miss Taylor Swift:
"Notre Dame will NEVER EVER EVER...I said, NEVER EVER EVER...join the ACC".
JMHO

Yep ACC already got friend-zoned by taking partial membership from them. Why would they give up $30+mil a year to join?

Very true. But, also very true, you can easily LOSE an arms race.

What do you mean, comrade?

hammer-and-sickle.png

Florida State doesn't want either Louisville or UConn really but if those are the only options they'll take the former. FSU wants a "name" football school, I don't think adding Louisville keeps them in the conference given the current membership and climate.

I think that's a pretty rational take on the situation.

Not sure when Louisville suddenly became a football power? Since they've joined the Big East, they are 4-3 against UConn and we've both 2 Conference Titles. Go back only 2 years and UConn was in the Fiesta Bowl and Louisville was a bottom of the pack team.

This talk that if the ACC takes UConn over Louisville, FSU and Clemson will revolt just doesn't make sense. Is picking Louisville who is better than UConn THIS season, really going to force FSU/Clemson into paying the exit fee and joining a conference 800 miles away? Doubtful. Also, keep in mind UConn or Louisville would be replacing Maryland, who's not exactly a power either.

I think ultimately this will come down to the TV market. Hartford/New Haven is ranked 30th, and that doesn't even include Fairfield County in Southwestern CT, which is part of the NY Metro market.

I mean, there's different circumstances (B1G Network) but Rutgers got a B1G invite based solely off geography. UConn has a brand and a decent market. I think that outweighs a current football season.

Wrong... the reason you take Louisville is to (1) Keep FSU and Clemson from jumpin' ship (hopefully) AND (2) Keep the Big 12 from grabbing them and getting a leg up on the ACC.

That's why you take them and get to 14.

The reason why you then grab UCONN for 15 is (1) it weakens - if not eliminates - future eastern expansion possibilities for the B1G and (2) puts to rest any argument as to who is the premier Hoops conference forever more.

Then you sit at 15 and wait for Notre Dame - whether it be 5 years, 25, or 50.

This was going to be what I would have said. The Katz twitter that an odd number does not matter, is in response to this. Be proactive and wrap up both Louisville and Uconn. Then worry about evening it out later, hopefully with Notre Dame for all sports, if not, look at someone like SMU or Vanderbilt, someone with a football based program, and going as far as Tennesee or Texas to add to the ACC is not so bad.
Neil, I think academics need to be overlooked. I think the potential in dollars made or dollars lost by what will happen next is most important to the schools in the ACC. The money could really help improve academics for all of the schools.

Not sure when Louisville suddenly became a football power? Since they've joined the Big East, they are 4-3 against UConn and we've both 2 Conference Titles. Go back only 2 years and UConn was in the Fiesta Bowl and Louisville was a bottom of the pack team.

This talk that if the ACC takes UConn over Louisville, FSU and Clemson will revolt just doesn't make sense. Is picking Louisville who is better than UConn THIS season, really going to force FSU/Clemson into paying the exit fee and joining a conference 800 miles away? Doubtful. Also, keep in mind UConn or Louisville would be replacing Maryland, who's not exactly a power either.

I think ultimately this will come down to the TV market. Hartford/New Haven is ranked 30th, and that doesn't even include Fairfield County in Southwestern CT, which is part of the NY Metro market.

I mean, there's different circumstances (B1G Network) but Rutgers got a B1G invite based solely off geography. UConn has a brand and a decent market. I think that outweighs a current football season.

part of the reason louisville is favored over uconn by fsu and clemson is that uconn would make 3 of there divisional opponents syracuse,uconn and bc in a bad recruiting area

From one of the guys that broke the MD to B1G story:

Jeff Ermann@insidemdsports
Still hearing informed talk that #UNC and #UVA are likely top choices for two more #BigTen spots. May have offers -- can't confirm that yet.

part of the reason louisville is favored over uconn by fsu and clemson is that uconn would make 3 of there divisional opponents syracuse,uconn and bc in a bad recruiting area

Another fair point.

Kentucky would be a better recruiting region, better than CT, but still not a hot bed either.

Wouldn't it make sense for the ACC to just say to Florida State/Clemson come up with the division alignment they prefer and align it more North/South at their request?

From one of the guys that broke the MD to B1G story:

Jeff Ermann@insidemdsports
Still hearing informed talk that #UNC and #UVA are likely top choices for two more #BigTen spots. May have offers -- can't confirm that yet.

I think there would be another Civil War before that would ever happen. :)

I think there would be another Civil War before that would ever happen. :)

You know, if the South was a different country then we'd TOTALLY have a northeastern all sports conference!

Maybe Lincoln wasn't so great after all?

No offense, but UConn has a brand in basketball. People outside the Northeast don't even know UConn has a football team. Since this is about football, UConn is in a tight spot.

No offense, but UConn has a brand in basketball. People outside the Northeast don't even know UConn has a football team. Since this is about football, UConn is in a tight spot.

That's not fair.

Some people might know them as the team that won the Big East by default one season and got curb stomped by Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl that 400 UConn fans attended.

That's true, but we've only been at it for about a decade and the brand will continue to grow. I know UConn Football nationally isn't front page news, but that could be said about any BE program the past decade besides West Virginia.

My question is, how is Louisville's national brand significantly better? During the Kragthopre era they were a bottom feeder in the Big East and now after 1 good season and 1 currently very good season, they are somehow a brand name?

Like I mentioned before, is Louisville's football brand so much better than UConn, that Florida State is going to potentially pay $50M and play on an island in a new conference? Seems somewhat extreme.

Another fair point.

Kentucky would be a better recruiting region, better than CT, but still not a hot bed either.

Wouldn't it make sense for the ACC to just say to Florida State/Clemson come up with the division alignment they prefer and align it more North/South at their request?

it would but then another football power would be upset and probably answer the sec's call,virginia tech

That's true, but we've only been at it for about a decade and the brand will continue to grow. I know UConn Football nationally isn't front page news, but that could be said about any BE program the past decade besides West Virginia.

My question is, how is Louisville's national brand significantly better? During the Kragthopre era they were a bottom feeder in the Big East and now after 1 good season and 1 currently very good season, they are somehow a brand name?

Like I mentioned before, is Louisville's football brand so much better than UConn, that Florida State is going to potentially pay $50M and play on an island in a new conference? Seems somewhat extreme.

at this time yes its way better. They have a good football stadium ON CAMPUS which is another thing they have going for them

The Ville has been playing football a long time. Schnellenberger ring a bell? And btw, with all due respect, despite the fact that we have sucked for ten years, SU is a national brand in football, make no mistake about it.

at this time yes its way better. They have a good football stadium ON CAMPUS which is another thing they have going for them

Louisville's football team is currently better than UConn's team.

In terms of National Brand? That's not something that changes so much from season to season. We're both relative newcomers to BCS Football. In two years if we're winning and Louisville is losing, we're still essentially the same brand.

Also, I don't buy the on-campus stadium issue. Didn't hurt Pitt, right?

The Ville has been playing football a long time. Schnellenberger ring a bell? And btw, with all due respect, despite the fact that we have sucked for ten years, SU is a national brand in football, make no mistake about it.

No argument here about the Syracuse Football brand. It is a brand and it's obvious that's why you were chosen (along with hoops of course) even though the program was in a huge downturn.

As for Louisville, their history is obviously longer than UConn's, but at the BCS level, it's relatively even.

How would scheduling a 15 team football conference work?

There's gotta be some way to do it.

Three 5-team pods would work, but then you'd have to figure out how to have a conference championship game, per the NCAA's idiotic rules.
Same way the Big Ten made 11 teams work OK for 20 years. The need for an even number of teams is way over rated.

UConn will simply go to the Big 10 if the ACC turns them down. Who says the Big has to stop at 14? That would completely lock up the NY market. Who would be 16 in Big 10?

UConn CANNOT get in the B1G unless some team in NY State does.