According to twitterland...12,000 paid attendance for Pitt / UCONN- | Syracusefan.com

According to twitterland...12,000 paid attendance for Pitt / UCONN-

that is sad... but it could be true. they keep showing the upper deck at that game and it is empty. the premium seats from the 30 to 30 aren't even full. I don't see how that happens. Pitt has a ton of alumni. Don't they have 25k undergrad?

Even Duke gets more fans at their football games. This takes poor attendance to a completely different level. What a joke...

Dreary Wednesday night. Work night. Crappy opponent. I can see skipping a game like that.

update. 40,000 announced, 12k actual. Sorry for the confusion

Dreary Wednesday night. Work night. Crappy opponent. I can see skipping a game like that.

Hahaha. Work night? 90% of SU basketball games are work nights. Who cares if you have to work the next day?

Hahaha. Work night? 90% of SU basketball games are work nights. Who cares if you have to work the next day?

Big difference between getting home at 10 and getting home at 12:30 AM.

Big difference between getting home at 10 and getting home at 12:30 AM.

Good point. If LSU and bama were playing tonight it would be empty. You know, work night and all...

Good point. If LSU and bama were playing tonight it would be empty. You know, work night and all...

Haha, amen. Now we're allowing work night excuses? What do people do for baseball games during the summer months? Absurd.

Pittsburgh has pro teams that's why. Same reason why no one in NYC watches or attends college football games. Hopefully ACC can improve that, but looking at BC there is no guarantee. BC gets 4 people to show up to their football games, and about 2 or 3 to their basketball games.
How many pro teams are in Alabama?

1. I was comparing going to a basketball game (which usually starts at 7:00) and this football game, which started at 8:00.

2. We don't know how LSU and Alabama weeknight games would be attended because they never play on weeknights.

3. How many casual sports fans even know there's a game tonight? You're seeing the Pitt sports addicts, not everyone who would attend a Saturday game.

Heinz Field has absolutely zero atmosphere for college football. Now I know why I've never been to a game there, and possibly never will. Unless Pitt is having a good season and playing a big-time oppponent, few care about Pitt football.

Heinz Field has absolutely zero atmosphere for college football. Now I know why I've never been to a game there, and possibly never will. Unless Pitt is having a good season and playing a big-time oppponent, few care about Pitt football.

The Cincinnati - Pitt game a few years back in the snow for the Big East title had a lot of energy. It was an epic game too.

Fun town -- thats the only reason I go every other year. But the atmosphere in the stadium is pathetic.

as I said in another thread; this game was so boring I watched the MLS play-in game. There were probably just as many fans at Red Bulls arena as there were at the Pitt game.

Official attendance - 40,219

For the "Dr. Gross makes up attendance numbers" crowd.

no...wasnt dreary...the announcers said the temps were very moderate for this time of year, totally different weather pattern there last night than we had in ny...and weeknight? give me a break...no excuse!!!! god aweful! that stadium is a piss poor college atmosphere...

Pitt should have replaced their old concrete bowl with a new 45,000 seat on-campus stadium. The old stadium was a dump, but the atmosphere on game day back in the 70s and 80s was what college football is all about. When the countriy's economic situation finally rights itself Pitt needs to think about going hat in hand to Harrisburg to beg for suuport for a new stadium. It would help their cause, however, if they could put more than 20,000 actual fannies in the seats at Heinz in the meantime.

I am already setting up plans for about 12 of us to head down to the Dec 3rd season finale against Pitt. Probably headed down Friday morning and spending the weekend. Alot of the guys that are going with me say that Pitt is a fun city to party in. I've never been, so I'm looking forward to it.

Anybody else going?

no...wasnt dreary...the announcers said the temps were very moderate for this time of year, totally different weather pattern there last night than we had in ny...and weeknight? give me a break...no excuse!!!! god aweful! that stadium is a piss poor college atmosphere...

The rain held off and temps were in the upper 50s...not a bad night to see a game in late October. I'm sure the ACC knew Pitt was a paper tiger on attendance. Wait till they see how they travel..makes us look like Clemson.

O.M.F.G.
playing in a pro stadium bites. having a pro team in town shrinks your fan base and having to share a giant stadium just makes it look worse. the few fans you have can cherry pick the games they go to, don't have to buy season tickets, you don't have people who'll go to bad games because it's the only chance they can get like you do when there are way more fans than seats.

When I first saw a game there in 2001, I thought it was a great venue for Pitt.

You can walk to the stadium from downtown - there is great tailgating etc. No doubt, it's nowhwere near the Pitt campus.

But, for that game and a couple of others I have attended, the fans turned out.

I still think Pitt made a mistake in firing Wannstedt - some western PA loyalty was injured with that move.

The rain held off and temps were in the upper 50s...not a bad night to see a game in late October. I'm sure the ACC knew Pitt was a paper tiger on attendance. Wait till they see how they travel..makes us look like Clemson.
not that different from Ga Tech, so will fit right in to the ACC

if GT had a Wednesday night game against a crummy team and it was supposed to rain they'd have tons of empty seats in their small on-campus stadium - move them down to the Georgia Dome a couple of miles away and the place would be empty

Haha, amen. Now we're allowing work night excuses? What do people do for baseball games during the summer months? Absurd.

Weeknight FB games suck. FB is not like MLB, NHL, BBall where you show up watch a game and leave. There is a lot more to the FB experience, like tailgating. Expecting 50k to show up for a Wed FB game and comparing it to 15k for the NHL/BBall, or 30k for MLB is silly.