Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, he’s going to give a high school football and basketball star $1 million each to work for him, but they don’t HAVE to come to Syracuse because that would be - - unethical? Illegal? Not nice? Am I grokking this correctly?

This is great . He has the resources. The kids have the talent and deserve the green. We get a better product to consume. Who exactly is this hurting? Was the money otherwise designated to save the manatees? I think not

Buying 2 five star basketball players instead of one basketball and one football would be a much better use of the money. One great football player doesn't move the needle much. Two five star basketball players and 3 good junior/senior role players is a championship caliber team.

Buying 2 five star basketball players instead of one basketball and one football would be a much better use of the money. One great football player doesn't move the needle much. Two five star basketball players and 3 good junior/senior role players is a championship caliber team.

A QB could make a big difference. I don’t think we’ll be competing for national championships in football for 50 years or so, but a football conference championship is probably on par with a basketball national championship.

"You can either complain about the game, or you can get in the game". Well said. That's exactly my thought too and what I've been saying. We either need to pay to get players or settle into being a mid-major caliber team. Very grateful that Adam is choosing to spend his money on getting us in the game.

Agreed. Hoping that talent attracts talent, and other top players will want to join once it gets rolling. Recruiting is easier from the top. Might need to eventually split the NIL money up in a different way though, but I leave that to Adam since it's his money.

"You can either complain about the game, or you can get in the game". Well said. That's exactly my thought too and what I've been saying. We either need to pay to get players or settle into being a mid-major caliber team. Very grateful that Adam is choosing to spend his money on getting us in the game.
I agree - let's move on from the sham student athlete thing and get in the mud with the rest of the sports world. Personally i'd rather he commit $200,000 to 5 lineman and 5 hoopers and take our chances but he is stepping up with a legitimate presence. Not sure it helps the hoop program at this point, but hopefully he stays in the game when his friend is finally out of the game.

hopefully he stays in the game when his friend is finally out of the game.
Interesting timing of the announcement, which lines up with JB losing Estrella and Fielder (both probably to NIL) and striking out across the whole class. I'm sure this has been planned for a while, but I wonder if he announced it now by request of JB to stop the talk of mutiny.

Someone may need to have a quiet conversation with Lemoyne not steal anyone Mr. Weitsman gets to come to Syracuse.

This is very good news, especially for basketball. But it’s also a drop in the bucket when it comes to football. Some booster or AD at one of the football powers said they’ll need something like $15 million a year in NIL money to assemble a competitive roster.

This is very good news, especially for basketball. But it’s also a drop in the bucket when it comes to football. Some booster or AD at one of the football powers said they’ll need something like $15 million a year in NIL money to assemble a competitive roster.

I wonder if TAMU is aware of this.

What might this do to team chemistry? A millionaire hot shot with a bunch of “poor nobodies?”
The whole conversation feels dirty, although we have no choice but to play the game. I'd spread out the scrap metal money for 1 BB player and 2-3 FB players. Who knows what locker room issues all the lucre will create. But if this is the 'system' we're forced into, I guess it's a good problem to have.

The whole conversation feels dirty, although we have no choice but to play the game. I'd spread out the scrap metal money for 1 BB player and 2-3 FB players. Who knows what locker room issues all the lucre will create. But if this is the 'system' we're forced into, I guess it's a good problem to have.
As opposed to bag men making deliveries at various Duncan donuts across the nation under the table

1 million is too much for one recruit. $333,000 per could net 6 recruits.
Estrella got more than $1M from Tennessee, and he doesn't even have 5 stars next to his name. And the natural market for services that is being formed will drive up the cost every year. If Adam's hunting players like Zion, we won't be the only $1M offer they get.

Estrella got more than $1M from Tennessee, and he doesn't even have 5 stars next to his name. And the natural market for services that is being formed will drive up the cost every year. If Adam's hunting players like Zion, we won't be the only $1M offer they get.
I can't read the article; but, isn't AW giving $1M per year? JP's Tenn deal is $250K/yr(1M total).

Status
Not open for further replies.