Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Estrella got more than $1M from Tennessee, and he doesn't even have 5 stars next to his name. And the natural market for services that is being formed will drive up the cost every year. If Adam's hunting players like Zion, we won't be the only $1M offer they get.

Yup. This NIL thing will probably evolve into a bidding war and the deepest pockets (communities) will get the best results. I don't like this whole stupid mess.

Estrella got more than $1M from Tennessee, and he doesn't even have 5 stars next to his name. And the natural market for services that is being formed will drive up the cost every year. If Adam's hunting players like Zion, we won't be the only $1M offer they get.

You are not going to be able to get a #1 player in the class type guy with 1Mil. Not even with 2 Mil. With 1 Mil what we can hope for is that a top 25ish type guy likes us for all the reasons recruits have always liked us and chooses us over the 20 to 30 other schools who are also offering 1 Mil. 1 Mil is not a differentiator in the current market. It gets you a foot in the door to try to actually recruit.

Yup. This NIL thing will probably evolve into a bidding war and the deepest pockets (communities) will get the best results. I don't like this whole stupid mess.
But you were cool when the bidding wars were going on before , but they were sealed bids with all manner of unscrupulous middle men taking money instead of the kid who it was actually intended for.

In terms of following the rules... I'm assuming that something to the effect of the NIL deal is signed with restrictions of a geographical nature such that you can play basketball within the confines of the primary market my company/collective represents is "xx miles within xxxxx". Thus its not a legal requirement to play for said program you could play for a CC or lesser school.. etc

You are not going to be able to get a #1 player in the class type guy with 1Mil. Not even with 2 Mil. With 1 Mil what we can hope for is that a top 25ish type guy likes us for all the reasons recruits have always liked us and chooses us over the 20 to 30 other schools who are also offering 1 Mil. 1 Mil is not a differentiator in the current market. It gets you a foot in the door to try to actually recruit.

It's likely a good start at least. Call it a test and learn... and also maybe something to attract more investors...

Buying 2 five star basketball players instead of one basketball and one football would be a much better use of the money. One great football player doesn't move the needle much. Two five star basketball players and 3 good junior/senior role players is a championship caliber team.
I love how people become analytic czars on how millionaires spend ego money.

He will get more bang for the football/hoops split because:

1) there can only be one “guy” and this assures that.

2) splitting sports means he can be in the conversation for more months of the year

3) more PR from different reporters

4) thinking it’s realistic to get two hoops people to be the “one” to a program that hasn’t gotten five-stars post Melo dilutes both players.

Can we just be excited by people stepping up and not be glass-is-half-empty for once?

2) splitting sports means he can be in the conversation for more months of the year

4) thinking it’s realistic to get two hoops people to be the “one” to a program that hasn’t gotten five-stars post Melo dilutes both players.

Can we just be excited by people stepping up and not be glass-is-half-empty for once?

How about TWO for BOTH sports? He can have my washer and dryer if it will help, and I encourage everyone else to donate their’s as well.

Last edited:
I can’t read the article. Is this going to start like right now, or next season, or some other time? Is there a likely target player for each sport already? Any clubhouse leader?

No

If you heard or have seen the NIL rules ( not that they are followed) the player should be enrolled before getting NIL money. We have players on both teams that could use NIL money this year.

Hats off to Adam for taking hus time to thoroughly research NIL before getting involved. Im sure that whatever he decides to do he will do it well. SU is extremely fortunate to have his support.

To your last question, no. It's just how things roll in CNY as you've apparently noticed by how you framed the question :)

If you heard or have seen the NIL rules ( not that they are followed) the player should be enrolled before getting NIL money. We have players on both teams that could use NIL money this year.
Several are already getting NIL money in both basketball and football. You don’t think Tucker and Jones are still here without NIL money? Benny too.

Why can't you do both?

Akin to have both the lobster and the cracked crab!
Why can't you do both?

Akin to having both the lobster and the cracked crab!
1663762489739.jpeg

I can’t read the article. Is this going to start like right now, or next season, or some other time? Is there a likely target player for each sport already? Any clubhouse leader?
Good question, it is pretty late in the game for this cycle. But, maybe we could even get the attention of some committed players that aren't currently getting a big NIL deal.

Pretty bold announcement.

when we get our first recruit, A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT of people will owe him an apology. and i am DAMN PROUD to not be 1 of them.

the amount of times i heard on here and everywhere else "its a matter of time before he gets us in trouble" and criticism of him bringing celebs to games was outrageous and stupid.

How every Cuse fan didnt embrace him and thank him is BEYOND my capability of understanding. and if your blood is boiling with anger and resentment reading this, YOU are part of the Onondaga county study i just read about in this forum of what holds back this region is just having a general negative attitude. and its not to late to turn your life around and go to a game and be a fan of this great institution that we have in our backyards.

Last edited:
I can't read the article; but, isn't AW giving $1M per year? JP's Tenn deal is $250K/yr(1M total).
JP isnt good enough for a milly a year. the 250k for 1 mil in total to a BASKETBALL player is all you need to say to know he isnt.

if you catch my drift. weitsman aint giving 4 yr deals to BASKETBALL players. that is absolutely hillarious if true.

It's likely a good start at least. Call it a test and learn... and also maybe something to attract more investors...
lol, "Investors"... I about spit my coffee out when I read that one.

Yeah, I appreciate people being invested in the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.