Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
“This is an awful place we’re in in college basketball,” Boeheim said. “Pittsburgh bought a team. OK, fine. My [big donor] talks about it, but he doesn’t give anyone any money. Nothing. Not one guy. Our guys make like $20,000. Wake Forest bought a team. Miami bought a team. … It’s like, ‘Really, this is where we are?’ That’s really where we are, and it’s only going to get worse.”

It was part of the infamous Thamel chat.

NIL is about players being recompensed for using their names and likenesses to promote brands. AW was paying these kids to promote his brand, knowing that it would also benefit the Orange.

The NIL collective suddenly becomes a much more diluted endeavor for him. He probably doesn't think the value is there.

And frankly, if I was so unceremoniously shown the door here, I don't know that I'd be in a hurry to re-engage.
In all seriousness, are there examples of these players "promoting his brand"? It's quite possible I've missed many instances of that, but off the top of my head I can't recall anything.

I think Adam is good for the area and does great things, but when it came to NIL and other things(basketball academy) he overpromises and under delivers. It's been this way for a while.
Why do you say that. He has supported many Syracuse athletes probably over a dozen.

Why do you say that. He has supported many Syracuse athletes probably over a dozen.
He said he was giving a million dollars to get 5 star athletes to come here. He never came close to that. He barely got to that number combined.

Every dollar counts, but like the basketball academy it never progressed to that.

“This is an awful place we’re in in college basketball,” Boeheim said. “Pittsburgh bought a team. OK, fine. My [big donor] talks about it, but he doesn’t give anyone any money. Nothing. Not one guy. Our guys make like $20,000. Wake Forest bought a team. Miami bought a team. … It’s like, ‘Really, this is where we are?’ That’s really where we are, and it’s only going to get worse.”

It was part of the infamous Thamel chat.
Not defending AW, but you have the Syracuse media saying he is donating $1M (that was even referenced again in an article today by Axe).

"When NIL surged onto the scene, Weitsman put his money where his mouth was. He paid more than $1 million to SU athletes this year and offered at least $1 million more to top basketball recruits."

Which is it? Was the just JAB rubbing a friend to contribute more, or did syracuse.com not fact check AW (Weitsman says he’s paying $1 million to SU players, and that’s just a start)

My take on Adam who i know from Skaneateles.
He is a very good person. Does 10 times more quietly than not
Kent has had an issue with JB since Jim backed out of his commitment to turn the reigns over to hop.
Adam is one of Jims best friends.
Adam went out of his way to clear everything with SU compliance regarding NIL
Kents beef with Adam has zero to do with Adam doing any illegal NIL activities.
Kent has an issue with JB.
Kent goes to bed in his suit.
Kent is by all accounts an excellent chancellor who has been in the academic bubble his entire life.
Kent and Adam are from different sides of the tracks.
Adam is his own man and does things to promote his brand. NIL is all about a player promoting something, endorsing something it doesn't have to be about charitable efforts. It is about using the individuals name image and likeness to promote something and to be paid for that promotion, effort and or endorsement.
Adam was willling to pay kids to promote his brand and to do good things. He was willing to help mentor kids.
Adams background is a heck of a lot closer to the background of most of our players than Kent will ever be.
Adams flashy and Kent doesn't understand or like that.
Did I mention Kent has an issue with Jim.

my take on this is one sided so im sure there may be more to this. But i truly believe that Kent has let his personal beliefs vs facts get in the way of one of SUs biggest supporters. Adam was a game changer for us. He bleeds orange and Kent chased away a really good guy. NOT a bad individual but a really good guy who just happens to be very different from the Syracuse Chancellor.
Kent screwed up big time in my opinion and should be worried more about raising the academic standards of Syracuse vs getting into a pissing match with one of the athletic departments' biggest supporters.
With all due respect, if he bleeds Orange he doesn’t do this and certainly doesn’t make a big deal of it publicly. He used Syracuse. and that’s fine because that’s what NIL is for. But let’s not pretend his loyalty is to Syracuse above himself and perhaps it was to Jb. That’s not bleeding orange. His only connection is to CNy and I commend him for investing in the area and hyping it. But he’s in Miami just as much as he is here. The average fan doesn’t get to experience his life. And I’m sure the average fan won’t love him now that he’s on the outside. He was getting showered with love Court side. He ain’t getting that anymore.

Not defending AW, but you have the Syracuse media saying he is donating $1M (that was even referenced again in an article today by Axe).

"When NIL surged onto the scene, Weitsman put his money where his mouth was. He paid more than $1 million to SU athletes this year and offered at least $1 million more to top basketball recruits."

Which is it? Was the just JAB rubbing a friend to contribute more, or did syracuse.com not fact check AW (Weitsman says he’s paying $1 million to SU players, and that’s just a start)
He never gave a million to one player. He never offered a million to one player. It was all bluster.

My take on Adam who i know from Skaneateles.
He is a very good person. Does 10 times more quietly than not
Kent has had an issue with JB since Jim backed out of his commitment to turn the reigns over to hop.
Adam is one of Jims best friends.
Adam went out of his way to clear everything with SU compliance regarding NIL
Kents beef with Adam has zero to do with Adam doing any illegal NIL activities.
Kent has an issue with JB.
Kent goes to bed in his suit.
Kent is by all accounts an excellent chancellor who has been in the academic bubble his entire life.
Kent and Adam are from different sides of the tracks.
Adam is his own man and does things to promote his brand. NIL is all about a player promoting something, endorsing something it doesn't have to be about charitable efforts. It is about using the individuals name image and likeness to promote something and to be paid for that promotion, effort and or endorsement.
Adam was willling to pay kids to promote his brand and to do good things. He was willing to help mentor kids.
Adams background is a heck of a lot closer to the background of most of our players than Kent will ever be.
Adams flashy and Kent doesn't understand or like that.
Did I mention Kent has an issue with Jim.

my take on this is one sided so im sure there may be more to this. But i truly believe that Kent has let his personal beliefs vs facts get in the way of one of SUs biggest supporters. Adam was a game changer for us. He bleeds orange and Kent chased away a really good guy. NOT a bad individual but a really good guy who just happens to be very different from the Syracuse Chancellor.
Kent screwed up big time in my opinion and should be worried more about raising the academic standards of Syracuse vs getting into a pissing match with one of the athletic departments' biggest supporters.

This is certainly a take.

He can say any number he wants to the media. They’ll print what he says. But who knows what reality is. Could be more. Could be less. But again, there’s a reason other collectives are quiet.

These players weren’t promoting AW’s shredding business. They were promoting him - his personality and his access.

He can say any number he wants to the media. They’ll print what he says. But who knows what reality is. Could be more. Could be less. But again, there’s a reason other collectives are quiet.

These players weren’t promoting AW’s shredding business. They were promoting him - his personality and his access.
don't disagree with syracuse.com needing to take some blame if they didn't fact check him, while also building up his brand

as for the other collectives, i dont think they are that quiet. completely anecdotal, i was in line at a fast-casual food place where i live and overheard some guy talking (loudly) about a school's collective kickoff event having 1000 attendees (to draw up donations) and numerous current and former players.

we've all heard a ton of stories about collectives paying/influencing players

a lot of boosters might not want their own brand promoted, but they do want access to the program (and some want influence)

Why are we so worried about losing Weitsman? Besides Elijah Moore has he impacted a single player's decision to come to SU?

So disappointing that we won't have random athletes and celebrities not looking at their phones anymore.

If he wasn't so public about literally EVERYTHING no one here would have any feeling one way or another. It's always been about Adam Weitsman. Never about the school.

Assuming what you say is true, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
You must be late to a lot of meetings if you use a broken clock. Sounds like you need a new clock.

Yeah, I wonder if the university made an objective decision based on the facts about what actually has transpired so far, not what's "just the start" or "big plans", or if Syverud is just a big nerd who hates the cool kids and decided to hamstring his organization in a huge revenue arena to stick it to the fans because he hates fun.

Btw, mscanlo that isn't directed specifically at you.

I agree with this. I, like many others, were excited when AW initially announced jumping into the NIL game. Then, as things started to progress and you start to look at the Instagram account, start connecting dots etc and I realized it wasn't all adding up. The tipping point for me was AW's quote about "never having talked to KS" was odd, to say the least.

don't disagree with syracuse.com needing to take some blame if they didn't fact check him, while also building up his brand

as for the other collectives, i dont think they are that quiet. completely anecdotal, i was in line at a fast-casual food place where i live and overheard some guy talking (loudly) about a school's collective kickoff event having 1000 attendees (to draw up donations) and numerous current and former players.

we've all heard a ton of stories about collectives paying/influencing players

a lot of boosters might not want their own brand promoted, but they do want access to the program (and some want influence)
That's normal booster stuff. It goes on everywhere, including SU. You give money, and you get better seats, or a lunch with the AD, or a pre-season dinner with a coach, or a private party at a bowl game, etc.

Some people up the ante and put their name on a building, or endow a scholarships, or endow a coaching position.

FWIW, I have a ton of respect for the ante-uppers. That's a real financial commitment that has a long-lasting, positive impact on the university. Give me those folks all day over people "promoting their brand".

I Dont Get It 9-1-1 GIF by Global TV

Which is what NIL is supposed to be. Even Ruiz is doing that with Lifewallet which is in financial trouble.

Just to be clear, I've asked this question a half-dozen times over the past 24 hours, and no one has answered it.
I tried to answer in post 564. Not sure if you missed it or are just implying you didnt agree with the answer

I tried to answer in post 564. Not sure if you missed it or are just implying you didnt agree with the answer

And I asked for examples of any player promoting his brand(s)? I've never seen it. Is there a Weitsman-backed charity that a player did high-profile work for? Did one of them do a commercial or appearances for his businesses?

Not to mention, he can do that by working through the 315 Foundation, as one example. He could donate money, specify which athlete and charity it is to be directed towards, and away we go.

And I asked for examples of any player promoting his brand(s)? I've never seen it. Is there a Weitsman-backed charity that a player did high-profile work for? Did one of them do a commercial or appearances for his businesses?

Not to mention, he can do that by working through the 315 Foundation, as one example. He could donate money, specify which athlete and charity it is to be directed towards, and away we go.

I see a chasm between the goals of the 315 Foundation and what AW was trying to do.

I frankly am not a fan of the goals of 315. I think they are somewhat naive to the realities of college sports in 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.