Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what we either know, i personally know or has been published by reputable sources including mods on this board.
He has supported numerous Syracuse athletes on both men's and women's teams.
He informs Syracuse of his activities and gets approval.
He supports multiple local charities.
He is a large donor to the Syracuse athletic department.
He has helped many individuals including a member of my family without any publicity.

Now what has he done to hurt Syracuse? To put SU in jeopardy of additional sanctions?
Why is he suddenly an outcast?
Maybe someone like CTO can shed some actual light on the situation as from what has been published his being outcast has more to do with one individuals personal distaste of his methods vs any substantive compliance issues.

Seriously, 100. Your definition of close friend has to be different than mine.
My definition includes, for example, people who were invited to Jim's 75th birthday party, to the high school graduation party for the Boeheim twins, to the Boeheim's annual New Years Eve party, etc. Many of them are longtime friends whose names are not in the public eye so I will not name them.

Last edited:
Doesn’t bother me at all that he posted a couple pics of our recruit from that tourney.

Who is it?

I figured it was someone we wanted and AW was trying to twist the knife a little more.

Last edited:
Here is what we either know, i personally know or has been published by reputable sources including mods on this board.
He has helped many individuals including a member of my family without any publicity.

Now what has he done to hurt Syracuse? To put SU in jeopardy of additional sanctions?
Maybe someone like CTO can shed some actual light on the situation as from what has been published his being outcast has more to do with one individuals personal distaste of his methods vs any substantive compliance issues.

Serious question - how much has he given to Lally? Seems that when a seven figure donation comes in it gets posted, and AW doesn’t strike me as the type to go anonymous. Maybe he has I don’t know- but you seem to know the guy so possibly you know.

He and his lawyer have been publicly criticizing the school and that’s actively hurting SU. Let’s pretend Syracuse did wrongfully end the relationship, an adult who “loves” a school still should not publicly attack the school. This is him showing his true colors whether you like it or not. He helped your family? Cool. He’s hurting the school now.

My definition includes, for example, people who were invited to Jim's 75th birthday party, to the high school graduation party for the Boeheim twins, to the Boeheim's annual New Years Eve party, etc. Many of them are longtime friends whose names are not in the public eye so I will not enumerate them.
Thank you.

Neil - I appreciate your posts, your blog and the information you share. Thank you. Full disclosure, I knew Adam very casually back in the 90s when he owned the building I worked in and would visit us regularly. Always enjoyed talking with him then and think he is a better man today as that was prior to his legal issues and becoming a father. I have been one of the biggest supports of Adam on this forum from the beginning refuting claims of others who denigrated his motives and character.

I am also a proud alum, class of, well a few years before 2000, and appreciated his support of the University and its programs.

On the other hand I am very critical of the NCAA and it's failure to put any kind of reasonable guard rails around the whole NIL fiasco. I am the founder of the SyraCRUZ Tailgate NIL initiative (we are open for 2023 donations, btw. Jump on board!) We have seen the positive side of what NIL can do for our student athletes. We supported Enrique Cruz, Chris Elmore, Benny Williams, Joe Girard, Olivia Owens, Dyaisha Fair and Riley Figueiras last year and that project has only heightened our passion. However, the darker side more than counteracts all of those positives.

Here's what I know. Boosters CANNOT be involved in recruiting. NIL deals CANNOT be tied to a requirement that a student athlete attend a specific school. Public outrage is growing daily from the House Commerce committee hearings to the new head of the NCAA to the Charles Barkley interview on 60 Minutes. Something is coming to police the abuses of these givens and while Adam's deals complied with the letter of the law if you squint enough, he was obviously recruiting star high school players to come to Syracuse. I would like to be able to rationalize that everyone else is doing it, so we should too, but that's not me. I understand that Adam feels he cannot do things low key and I respect that and his decision to step away from using NIL as a recruiting tool.

What bothers me, though, is that he apparently will not be participating in any NIL opportunities for current and enrolled student athlets, either through the known collectives or on his own. This lower key level of support doesn't get the publicity of the six and seven figure offers to recruits but is argualbly more important to a broader number of student athletes and fosters a culture and perception that the Syracuse Orange community takes care of their players. Hopefully he can find a way through this.

And next time you talk to him, tell him his old Endicott Johnson buddy says hello and thank you for everything you do for the community,
Thank you for giving those of us who don't have the full story, a chance to start navigating some of the issues that are ongoing w/ AW and the AD .
I've been in-&-out of this thread and frankly still haven't gotten a clear and concise picture of what actually caused the split. Alot of "inside baseball" going on with some posts appearing to be extremely personal in nature.
Needless to say this era of NIL is causing most of these tremors and it's likely we're not the only institution going through this.
I simply can't help feeling however that that old, familiar, Syracuse "moral highground" canard is gonna negatively inhibit our beloved programs and whatever progress we could build, and ultimately end up biting us in the arse...again. JMHO

Last edited:
My definition includes, for example, people who were invited to Jim's 75th birthday party, to the high school graduation party for the Boeheim twins, to the Boeheim's annual New Years Eve party, etc. Many of them are longtime friends whose names are not in the public eye so I will not enumerate them.
Can you please enumerate all of them so I can reach out to get some new friends? Thanks in advance

Let’s say he didn’t do anything to hurt SU until recently. He’s showing you who he is right now. I don’t need specifics to understand why Syverud was done with this side show.

The sooner we all forget Adam Weitsman, the better.

AW once sat behind me in Cameron. I didn't know who he was, and after chatting with him I kept asking myself how a guy that dresses and acts the way he did was able to afford seats like he had. He even left at halftime. Seemed like a decent guy though.

Heitner sums it up this way: “Syracuse is so petrified of the NCAA, going above and beyond what is necessary to abide by the rules.”
I asked Heitner if he’s seen any kind of similar situation occur between high-profile NIL investors and other schools around the country. His response: “This is just unheard of.”
Adam Weitsman says since I first reported that he would halt NIL deals with Syracuse Orange players, he “has been contacted by just under 20 universities to do NIL for them, including ones that directly compete with Syracuse.”

Last edited:

Heitner sums it up this way: “Syracuse is so petrified of the NCAA, going above and beyond what is necessary to abide by the rules.”
I asked Heitner if he’s seen any kind of similar situation occur between high-profile NIL investors and other schools around the country. His response: “This is just unheard of.”
Adam Weitsman says since I first reported that he would halt NIL deals with Syracuse Orange players, he “has been contacted by just under 20 universities to do NIL for them, including ones that directly compete with Syracuse.”
Oh wow, one of AW's hired help has a shockingly pro-AW take on the situation.

We have been on probation twice and, let’s be honest, I guarantee the NCAA is watching and waiting to get us for a third time. It’s like the movie Blue Chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.