ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

No in the interview Wildhack clearly said if you don't have 7, you can't play. You have a citation for why that number has to be driven by covid?
Not quite. Ilaoa, Petry, Barclay were available. Thats 7 without elmo. Petry,Barclay needed size. Ilaoa needed technique.

What do people think our record would be without any injuries?

I think we still start 1-5 and still lose to ND. Those four in between we have a chance but I couldn't see any better than 2-2. So I'll go with 3-8.

But I'm just so worried about the budget implications and then about who we can get.

I'm just worried that if Dino doesn't get it done, I really hope we can get a solid pool of candidates to choose from.

It's never just "what does Dino have to do to stay". It's "What does Dino have to do to stay reconciled against who we can actually get to come to Cuse".

Terrific Post.

It is also what can Dino realistically do, given the inherent limitations of the program, relative to what someone else could do.

We've been through four, five if you count the end of term slide under P, coaches who were not able to get it done (although jury out Marrone as to whether he could have sustained the success he had in 2012 - personally I think he could have kept us in that 4-8 to 8-4 range consistently - that is about all I expect given our consistently low class recruiting rankings.)

I think Dino can keep us in that same range...8-4 when we have an upperclassmen-laden team with experience, and talent, in the critical positions and 4-8 when that same class graduates and he has to rebuild.

I just don't think that higher expectations are realistic given our recruiting rankings.

Are talking about full roster?
Everyone but Bleich. Seeing our offense the 1st few weeks, I don't see us winning more than 4 games even with zero injuries. Who of the injured/opt outs make us much better on offense?

Everyone but Bleich. Seeing our offense the 1st few weeks, I don't see us winning more than 4 games even with zero injuries. Who of the injured/opt outs make us much better on offense?

Hard to say - but given how close we were in the NC State and BC games, I think Tommy and having RB depth can get us 2-3 more games. Cisco and Trill might make the Wake and Louisville games closer (Louisville had a meh year). Since we're in la-la land - lets trade UNC for FSU - not saying we win it - but it's closer for sure.

Swap Dakota for Elmore, play Elmore at FB, and have Adams, Jarveon, and Jordan at TB, the offense is at least twice as effective in the first two games, and the fourth quarter meltdowns don't happen, win one of those two. Just those adds and the run game is better. Maybe Froumy plugs into Center, maybe Red is good enough that Servais goes back inside.

Duke would be a win, and without Devito getting pounded Liberty is a different game because the offense can stay on the field.

Wake, BC, Lville, and NCSt are different games.

Who actually thinks he can turn it around in a year. A lot of ppl are saying bowl or bust. Do you actually see any possible path towards that.
Yes an absolute freaking miracle.
Better shot in 22 if he is still here and I think he will be barring another garbage show in 21.

Swap Dakota for Elmore, play Elmore at FB, and have Adams, Jarveon, and Jordan at TB, the offense is at least twice as effective in the first two games, and the fourth quarter meltdowns don't happen, win one of those two. Just those adds and the run game is better. Maybe Froumy plugs into Center, maybe Red is good enough that Servais goes back inside.

Duke would be a win, and without Devito getting pounded Liberty is a different game because the offense can stay on the field.

Wake, BC, Lville, and NCSt are different games.
Adams will not be back, Jarveon may be but also may not be. Jordan will not contribute at RB unless he gets a lot stronger. Better chance as a slot receiver.
Devito will only be effective if the OL improves by an order of magnitude.
Penalties, a result of poor team discipline, must be cut by a minimum of half.
Given all these factors I can not see a huge improvement in 21.

It takes at least 10 yrs to build a team.
No argument on that, but Dino is in year five and we are worse than we were in year one. So does that mean he gets another 10. If so I am out.

Adams will not be back, Jarveon may be but also may not be. Jordan will not contribute at RB unless he gets a lot stronger. Better chance as a slot receiver.
Devito will only be effective if the OL improves by an order of magnitude.
Penalties, a result of poor team discipline, must be cut by a minimum of half.
Given all these factors I can not see a huge improvement in 21.

I was responding to a what if for THIS LAST season, not next year,

As for your post, I find your lack of faith disturbing.

The OL will be much, much, better. Bliech and Dakota are order of significant upgrades at Guard. Bergeron is only a second year player, he will continue to improve. Servais should be healthier. There is only one position in question, which has a two year starter, but there will be competition. There will be a legit second string that might have as many as two returning starters on it. Real depth.

The run game will better with Tucker and Hough starting from the get go. Both will help Devito. Also there should be a full spring and strength and conditioning program, which the first and second year players have never had. Also opportunity to finally work in installation, which they missed last year with two new coordinators.

Full roster means ability to practice better.

This team was a shell of what it will be capable of what it really can do when complete.

No argument on that, but Dino is in year five and we are worse than we were in year one. So does that mean he gets another 10. If so I am out.

1 - 85 it's a better team. But there weren't 85 guys available and the missing guys weren't at the bottom of the roster.

Greg Robinson recruited Delone Carter, Ryan Nassib, Justin Pugh, Chandler Jones and he was a moron HC.

Congrats and thank you to former moron HCSS for recruiting Eric Dungey.
What does this prove? It does not take a genius coach to recruit players. So why then is Babers at the low end of recruiting?

1 - 85 it's a better team. But there weren't 85 guys available and the missing guys weren't at the bottom of the roster.
Hogwash, other teams with problems were not as bad as us. We were the worst of the ACC and pretty crappy compared to all P5.

Yes an absolute freaking miracle.
Better shot in 22 if he is still here and I think he will be barring another garbage show in 21.
The two years pre-COVID he made a bowl with 10 wins and then missed a bowl by 1 game but making a bowl next year would be an ‘absolute freaking miracle’?

The last time a Syracuse football coach won 15 games in 2 years was 4 coaches ago (Marrone didn’t even do it)

I think this year was a lot farther from the mean than 2018 was

Last edited:
The two years pre-COVID he made a bowl with 10 wins and then missed a bowl by 1 game but making a bowl next year would be an ‘absolute freaking miracle’?

The last time Syracuse football won 15 games in 2 years was 4 coaches ago (Marrone didn’t even do it)

I think this year was a lot farther from the mean than 2018 was
I guess we will see next year, I am hoping for my miracle, but not expecting anything close after watching what Dino and company produced this year. Remember you are what your record says you are.

What does this prove? It does not take a genius coach to recruit players. So why then is Babers at the low end of recruiting?
If you don’t get Couscuse I am not going to explain it.

I was responding to a what if for THIS LAST season, not next year,

As for your post, I find your lack of faith disturbing.

The OL will be much, much, better. Bliech and Dakota are order of significant upgrades at Guard. Bergeron is only a second year player, he will continue to improve. Servais should be healthier. There is only one position in question, which has a two year starter, but there will be competition. There will be a legit second string that might have as many as two returning starters on it. Real depth.

The run game will better with Tucker and Hough starting from the get go. Both will help Devito. Also there should be a full spring and strength and conditioning program, which the first and second year players have never had. Also opportunity to finally work in installation, which they missed last year with two new coordinators.

Full roster means ability to practice better.

This team was a shell of what it will be capable of what it really can do when complete.
I sincerely hope you are right, but I find pessimism more appropriate given our recent performance in football. I no longer have your faith in Babers coaching ability. I have decided he is not good in some crucial areas. I expect he wiil be here in 21 and probably 22, but predict those teams will be mediocre at best, if mediocre is what we accept then he will be here longer.

If you don’t get Couscuse I am not going to explain it.
I was responding to your post not Couscuse, but it does not surprise me that you did not get that.

I was responding to your post not Couscuse, but it does not surprise me that you did not get that.
My post was specifically related to a shot Couscuse had said. It was mocking his post.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom