ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

Even if you had some donors with a blank checkbook they’d only get rid of the guy if they didn’t like him. from what I understand the people that matter the most love the guy and think he’s the right man for the job. They’re going to give him a coach Mac type of leash.

Took Mac 7 years and he survived the sack Mac campaign. HCDB gets 7 years imo and I think even if 2022 is 6-6 he coaches 2023.

You are going to have dips when you try to turn things around. But how can you justify 3 straight years where the play was worse than your predecessor? And the talent is lacking after 6 years recruiting? That is a big IF though as we need to let next season play out. IMO if the O looks like it is headed in the right direction, our record should not matter and Dino should be back for 2022. However if we are looking at 35 straight games of O ineptitude, keeping Dino would only be delaying the inevitable. Things won't magically get better in year 7 in that case. But again this is all conjecture we need to let it all play out.

The buy out numbers work both ways. The school has to pay it if they want to terminate the contract early and the coach has to pay it if they want to leave early.

Pretty sure that big buyout number was mutually agreeable because Syracuse was worried Dino might be poached by a big money school. After the 10-3 season, this was a legitimate concern. Heck, it was a concern even before that with some of the wins and progress the program had showed.

yep and most were hoping that Wildhack "did his job" and included the hefty buyout so we could spend the $ to hire Dino's replacement if he was poached. Many here sound like my kids when they bet $ on a horse and lose. Ain't no do overs

Last edited:
You are going to have dips when you try to turn things around. But how can you justify 3 straight years where the play was worse than your predecessor? And the talent is lacking after 6 years recruiting? That is a big IF though as we need to let next season play out. IMO if the O looks like it is headed in the right direction, our record should not matter and Dino should be back for 2022. However if we are looking at 35 straight games of O ineptitude, keeping Dino would only be delaying the inevitable. Things won't magically get better in year 7 in that case. But again this is all conjecture we need to let it all play out.

Agreed, assuming SU gets to 6-6 next year Dino will definitely be back. Heck 5-7 will probably even do it if the schedule has to be modified again because COVID is still an issue. That said if its a dumpster fire again people thinking 7 or 8 years for Babers are dreaming.

Worse than your predecessor? Lol. This year Coach Mac would have finished 1-10 with the injuries, opt outs, and schedule changes. Shafer would have rage pounded the podium in the preseason and imploded shortly after.

The talent argument is always funny to me. "Talent is lacking" ok... compared to Clemson? BC? That's a big difference. We'll never catch the elite schools. We're much closer than people think to BC, Pitt, Wake. I also don't know how to handicap the offense with no camp, new OC, and 2 years of weird OL injuries.

2019 was the year that is a true mark on the resume and he fired his OC and DC. 2020 was weird as hell and deserves an asterisk. 2021 we reap the hard earned 11 games of 2020 into something good.

Agreed, assuming SU gets to 6-6 next year Dino will definitely be back. Heck 5-7 will probably even do it if the schedule has to be modified again because COVID is still an issue. That said if its a dumpster fire again people thinking 7 or 8 years for Babers are dreaming.

Id take 6-6 and give Dino a chance to keep going with that...but he would have to still follow the next season up with at least another 6 win team.

I just want a bowl game every year and the chance to travel to them. Occasionally considered for a NY6 or playoff when we have a real good mature roster

2021 will be year 6. I think the only question is does he get 8 years. That's 2023 and the contract is up 2024.

You're deciding from the perspective of someone who has nothing invested. I personally want to see it play out. I'd like to see what Dino, Gilbert and White can do with 3 years together and a couple of off seasons.

I see the talent as young, not lacking.

Worse than your predecessor? Lol. This year Coach Mac would have finished 1-10 with the injuries, opt outs, and schedule changes. Shafer would have rage pounded the podium in the preseason and imploded shortly after.

The talent argument is always funny to me. "Talent is lacking" ok... compared to Clemson? BC? That's a big difference. We'll never catch the elite schools. We're much closer than people think to BC, Pitt, Wake. I also don't know how to handicap the offense with no camp, new OC, and 2 years of weird OL injuries.

2019 was the year that is a true mark on the resume and he fired his OC and DC. 2020 was weird as hell and deserves an asterisk. 2021 we reap the hard earned 11 games of 2020 into something good.
The opt out excuse is ridiculous, neither RB were a STUD, we lost two ACC backs who both had under 400 yards, adams didn't even average 4 yards a run, jarveon was ok but nothing special, rotational guy. Tucker is better than both of them and dawson wouldn't have played.

Tough schedule and injuries played a part but SS teams his last two years had a lot of injuries as well, and yes compared to the orginal schedule this was much harder but it's hard to complain about a tough schedule when our SOS is 62nd in the country. Acting like no coach could win more than one game is ridiculous.

if his record was 4-8, 4-8, 3-9, 5-7, 1-10 yeah he’s not sticking around. But it isn’t

he won 10 games in year three

as much as you people want to deny it, that happened
No one is denying him his 10 win season, Dino is getting 6 years here that is a long time. Muschamp got fired after 5 years, he had a 9 win season, a 7 win season, and a 6 win season. And had a better record than Dino.

Last edited:
The opt out excuse is ridiculous, neither RB were a STUD, we lost two ACC backs who both had under 400 yards, adams didn't even average 4 yards a run, jarveon was ok but nothing special, rotational guy. Tucker is better than both of them and dawson wouldn't have played.

Tough schedule and injuries played a part but SS teams his last two years had a lot of injuries as well, and yes compared to the orginal schedule this was much harder but it's hard to complain about a tough schedule when our SOS is 62nd in the country. Acting like no coach could win more than one game is ridiculous.

We played the first two games without a RB, Tucker assumedly wasn't ready. Those guys are / were fine and would've given us balance on offense.

SU was a Rhino moving away from having to forfeit the season, and Tirico said something like 27 kids didn't make it to the end. No one is winning like that.

2021 will be year 6. I think the only question is does he get 8 years. That's 2023 and the contract is up 2024.

You're deciding from the perspective of someone who has nothing invested. I personally want to see it play out. I'd like to see what Dino, Gilbert and White can do with 3 years together and a couple of off seasons.

Gilbert has failed pretty much every place he's been, was a disaster and got run out of USF. He did put up decent numbers at texas but you'd expect that with the talent they had especially in the BIG12 where defense is optional, they went 6-6 in his lone year and the whole staff was fired. Dino and white might be promising but gilbert is nothing special which I think we all saw this year. DB can't get 8 years if he's only had 1 winning season

We played the first two games without a RB, Tucker assumedly wasn't ready. Those guys are / were fine and would've given us balance on offense.

SU was a Rhino moving away from having to forfeit the season, and Tirico said something like 27 kids didn't make it to the end. No one is winning like that.
Rhino is a BS excuse by babers, the OL rule has to do with lineman being out due to covid, not one guy on the line opted out or missed a game due to covid.

Gilbert has failed pretty much every place he's been, was a disaster and got run out of USF. He did put up decent numbers at texas but you'd expect that with the talent they had especially in the BIG12 where defense is optional, they went 6-6 in his lone year and the whole staff was fired. Dino and white might be promising but gilbert is nothing special which I think we all saw this year. DB can't get 8 years if he's only had 1 winning season

That's patently false:

2015 Tulsa - 507 ypg
2016 Texas - 492 ypg
2017 USF - 513 ypg
2018 USF - 438 ypg

if his record was 4-8, 4-8, 3-9, 5-7, 1-10 yeah he’s not sticking around. But it isn’t

he won 10 games in year three

as much as you people want to deny it, that happened
Here are the positives.
10 win season
Runs a very clean program
Represents the University with class
Has shown a recent willingness to embrace change
Players support him
Best recruiting class since he became coach
Support of Administration and major donors.

On O where is the talent? We have a good young RB. The young WRs have shown nothing yet. If that is still the case in December 2021, we are in trouble. Until otherwise proven, the OL is an issue (which it really has been all 5 years). But again they can step up this year, we will see. QB is a big question mark for next season and as of now, year 7. This can all change of course. But if it does not?

There needs to be some kind of indication next season that the O is heading in the right direction. If there is no indication, then year 7 would just be rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. Wildhack would be doing a huge disservice to the program in that case.

Cisco and Trill only played a handful of games and are both NFL guys

That's patently false:

2015 Tulsa - 507 ypg
2016 Texas - 492 ypg
2017 USF - 513 ypg
2018 USF - 438 ypg
Keep cherry picking stats to try and defend a complete failure, this is what gilbert did at USF when he was without quintin flowers, 28.5 (71st of 130). He was run out of USF a team in the AAC but we are oh so lucky to have him LOL!!!

How many freshman did we play?! C’mon.

Our schedule was 2nd hardest *since* P and 4th hardest since Mac. We had the second toughest schedule in the ACC this year. According to sports reference we have the *6th* hardest SoS this year out of 130 teams.

I think folks haven’t really reckoned with what we went up against this year without our best players for most of it.

On O where is the talent? We have a good young RB. The young WRs have shown nothing yet. If that is still the case in December 2021, we are in trouble. Until otherwise proven, the OL is an issue (which it really has been all 5 years). But again they can step up this year, we will see. QB is a big question mark for next season and as of now, year 7. This can all change of course. But if it does not?

There needs to be some kind of indication next season that the O is heading in the right direction. If there is no indication, then year 7 would just be rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. Wildhack would be doing a huge disservice to the program in that case.

Taj Harris is #9 in receptions nationally... #2 in the ACC. That’s more than nothing.

Keep cherry picking stats to try and defend a complete failure, this is what gilbert did at USF when he was without quintin flowers, 28.5 (71st of 130). He was run out of USF a team in the AAC but we are oh so lucky to have him LOL!!!

Couple of bad years vs his whole resume?

How many freshman did we play?! C’mon.

Our schedule was 2nd hardest *since* P and 4th hardest since Mac. We had the second toughest schedule in the ACC this year. According to sports reference we have the *6th* hardest SoS this year out of 130 teams.

I think folks haven’t really reckoned with what we went up against this year without our best players for most of it.
Given all the unprecedented things the program faced in 2020, I think it's fair to flush the season and move on on to 2021.

However, if we're going to do that, we also can't cling to the 2020 win total and suggest that going from 1 win to, say, 4 wins in 2021, is some kind of sign of miraculous improvement. If 2020 means nothing then I think it really has to mean nothing, and can't be used as a benchmark for 2021.

Which is just to say that I think it's absolutely critical for Dino to find a way to win 6 and make a bowl next season. Anything short of that is a cause for concern, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom