Admission rate | Syracusefan.com

Admission rate

Big issue right now is declining college enrollment. Time for colleges to shrink their bloated and overpaid administrative staffs
That's what is killing off the small liberal arts college along with decline in enrollment.

Most schools should seriously consider a 25% reduction in administrative staffing over next few years

That won’t happen. All those DEI positions.
The last two chancellors didn’t have the right priorities. They devalued the degree of thousands of graduates.

Thought Syracuse saw way more kids say yes than they were expecting last year. The numbers got all out of whack. Huge increase from prior years.

Big issue right now is declining college enrollment. Time for colleges to shrink their bloated and overpaid administrative staffs
if you shrink staff at the colleges i know they go out of business.. Many can barely begin to keep up with the reporting requirements. And what college has over paid staff? the salaries for colleges is 25-50% lower than in the business world?

Hard to shrink staff when they are forced to add positions like counselors due to so many mental health issues. Students are demanding so much more but then complain about paying. They want endowments to divest which means less growth and income for things like financial aid. And it’s an arms race to have the nicest campus which leads to higher price tags. Vicious circle.

Really surprised.

I thought SU was more selective
I live in the Boston area and it seems relatively cheap air travel has changed the college selection game. It's a 5 hour drive to Syracuse, but you can fly to the Midwest or the South in half the time. So, kids (and parents) are casting a wider net for schools. Plus I think you have to factor in cost (privates are very expensive) and the declining number of high school students in New York. I think energizing the football and basketball programs would go a long way in making Syracuse a more attractive option for kids.

I think we should be even less selective. More students equals more money for the university and more alums to spread the good word. It means more donors and more Cuse gear on the streets around the country. Harvard is not a good school just because it’s selective. Heck some would argue it’s not even a good school. Just gets your foot in the door with all the elites and snobs.

Lots of variability in those figures. It very much depends on the school (meaning Newhouse, Falk, Whitman etc.)
could be true for any school. Schools that have honors colleges within the college, some state schools have reduced or are tuition free for instate residents that have above average grades and boards, and specialty schools or programs within the college that more difficult to get into (similar to the above mentioned SU Newhouse/Falk/Whitman)

That's what is killing off the small liberal arts college along with decline in enrollment.

Most schools should seriously consider a 25% reduction in administrative staffing over next few years
The laws passed in response to the college admission scandal in NYS have had a huge impact on school's bottom lines. This isn't discussed outside of "high up" meetings due to possible political ramifications & optics. The cliff that will occur in enrollment will hit in the next few years. 98% of schools are going to be reasonably significantly adversely impacted.

Not since cantor days.

What actually happened when she was here? Did Syracuse see roughly the same number of applicants but accepted more, accept the same number but change criteria for acceptance, see a drop in applications and lower standards as a result, or something else?

While I know her reign of error was a disaster, I’ve never been entirely clear on exactly how she went about screwing everything up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom