Adrian Autry’s pitch to SU basketball recruits: ‘He wants to bring Syracuse back’ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry’s pitch to SU basketball recruits: ‘He wants to bring Syracuse back’

Red's ability to do everything surrounding coaching has proven to be superlative. In one offseason, he has improved the programs PR, nutrition, NIL, marketing, recruiting of transfers, recruiting of freshman, retention of current roster and the strength and conditioning program.

We have no idea how he will do managing a game.

His excellent work in every other area we can measure or infer gives me great hope about the in game aspects, but they are only related, not directly parallel. We have only to look at Calipari to see a coach who is great at so many things but can't win a title with multiple lottery picks on every team.

My hope is Red is superior at in game coaching, game planning, player relationships and managing a rotation than Calipari, and the last decade of JB.

I have high hopes and will probably be paying for ESPN this winter for the first time in years to make sure I catch every game. I'll also attend games for the first time in a while.

The start of the Red Autry era is pretty exciting so far.

Red is the head coach- yes. We do need to see that in game capability as well. It's important to note that in game will be a measurement of the whole staff now though too. This is where I'm a bit more optimistic in that there is synergy with this group coming in. Seems they all respect Red as the man for the job but there is reciprocity in that respect. 4 minds working together not 1 with 3 helpers.

I'm bullish Red can have this show going sooner rather than later if not at the least leveraging the talent he has and the resources available to him effectively such as Scheyer did in year 1 at Duke.

The last but not least fact is that both he and Gerry were proven leaders on the court. Griff to an extent as well. That has positive odds to translate on the bench.

Can't wait to see things get going !

Red's ability to do everything surrounding coaching has proven to be superlative. In one offseason, he has improved the programs PR, nutrition, NIL, marketing, recruiting of transfers, recruiting of freshman, retention of current roster and the strength and conditioning program.

His excellent work in every other area we can measure or infer gives me great hope about the in game aspects, but they are only related, not directly parallel. We have only to look at Calipari to see a coach who is great at so many things but can't win a title with multiple lottery picks on every team.

My hope is Red is superior at in game coaching, game planning, player relationships and managing a rotation than Calipari, and the last decade of JB.

I have high hopes and will probably be paying for ESPN this winter for the first time in years to make sure I catch every game. I'll also attend games for the first time in a while.

Point Guards most of the time are good coaches, because they normally are the coach on the floor during games.

Last edited:
Totally agree with a lot of folks here that we'll have to wait and see how SU actually fares in games with Red at the helm. That being said, the buzz from a recruiting standpoint is so encouraging and exciting, and it wasn't that way in recent years under JB, IMO.

Interested to hear if you have any direct knowledge to him changing the nutrition and strength and conditioning program, as I haven’t seen that reported publicly. However I have wondered since Red was hired if that was something he would restructure as i felt it something that was sorely lacking under JB, at least in recent years.

Do wish he had a big time ex coach on board as lead asst. Hopefully he can coach as well as he can recruit…

Interested to hear if you have any direct knowledge to him changing the nutrition and strength and conditioning program, as I haven’t seen that reported publicly. However I have wondered since Red was hired if that was something he would restructure as i felt it something that was sorely lacking under JB, at least in recent years.
We just hired our first nutrition expert to work exclusively with the program. There is a recent thread about it.

The S&C evidence is circumstantial: it looks like every player has gotten substantially bigger this off season, which is very different from the past.

Not every player has stayed skinny through the years, but it was extremely rare to see players absolutely transform their bodies during their time at Syracuse. We seem to have had several do it just this off-season. I am divining a change in focus caused by the change in head coach.

Last edited:
We just hired our first nutrition expert to work exclusively with the program. There is a recent thread about it.

The S&C evidence is circumstantial: it looks like every player has gotten substantially bigger this off season, which is very different from the past.

Not ever player has stayed skinny through the years, but it was extremely rare to see players absolutely transform their bodies during their time at Syracuse. We seem to have had several do it just this off-season. I am divining a change in focus caused by the change in head coach.

The nutritionist just hired was for all sports except football.

I cant believe all the doubters here.

Red will be a great game coach. There can be no doubt his players will have intensity and hustle.

He is a winner - end of story.

The only issue is learning curve, not the end result.

Yes, he will bring the Cuse back !!!

Little doubt we will be Dancin this season !!

Wow feel like I don’t see this level of optimism from you that muchZ

Let’s goooooo

oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Point Guards most of the time are good coaches, because they normally are the coach on the floor during games.
Agreed! Especially ones that weren’t supernaturally athletic - which Red was not.

4 year starter who just gradually got better and went from “decent” to “good” to “great” over the course of his career. His senior year both he and the team played as well as you could hope for and ended up being a really, really good team capable of beating anybody - and that goes beyond talent. Your coach on the floor PG understanding the game and getting everybody to play to their strengths is huge(see also Z Sims 2 years later).

I’d like to think that the guy who as a senior, captain PG had so much court sense, will be just fine as a game coach.

What does success look like for Red in season 1? For me he has to win more games than Jim did last season. I am not expecting final 4 or acc championship in year one.

I lived in Syracuse in the early 80’s when the whole city thought JB was a lousy in game coach. It took ‘87 to prove he was good at it. ‘87 was the first year for the 3 point shot. No mistake that the final 4 coaches are all hall of famers. Knight told him he would win one some day. Knight is the last person on earth to hand out false accolades.
I agree with this. I do think society has moved to instant gratification in that if he comes out of the gates slow years 1-3, he could lose the ability to turn it truly around.

One of the things JAB did so well was have zero truly down years until the absolute end. His record is a thing of consistentcy. We always mattered even when we were down or someone left. That's a HOF level of year in and year out quality.

I think getting to the tournament this year is imperative to start this off on the right foot. Anything less opens the door to speculation and snap opinion on the trajectory

What does success look like for Red in season 1? For me he has to win more games than Jim did last season. I am not expecting final 4 or acc championship in year one.

I think it's tournament or bust.

The infusion of talent in the portal, Mintz staying in Syracuse, and the expected sophomore leap for nine (9!) of our players would make anything less a failure.

We might be able to console ourselves with a faster pace, more exciting type of basketball, but with this talent, only game management, chemistry issues or a mishandled roster can keep us out.

On the other hand, the basics of this roster are so obvious your average dad coaching elementary schoolers could find the right strategy: give it to Mintz and Starling and let them create! But, I expect Red to be a little more sophisticated than that.

I think it's tournament or bust.

The infusion of talent in the portal, Mintz staying in Syracuse, and the expected sophomore leap for nine (9!) of our players would make anything less a failure.

We might be able to console ourselves with a faster pace, more exciting type of basketball, but with this talent, only game management, chemistry issues or a mishandled roster can keep us out.

On the other hand, the basics of this roster are so obvious your average dad coaching elementary schoolers could find the right strategy: give it to Mintz and Starling and let them create! But, I expect Red to be a little more sophisticated than that.
I agree anything less than the tournament would be disappointing given the talent on the roster. If it doesn't pan out, I'll be patient and reserve judgment until we have a larger sample size (assuming it's not Patrick Ewing as a coach level of doesn't pan out), but it would be disappointing.

Wow feel like I don’t see this level of optimism from you that muchZ

Let’s goooooo

oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
I try to ground my optimism in my perception of the reality.

Not that I claim to have had any special insight that many others on this forum did not share, but it has been apparent to me that things have been going south for the last ten years or so under Jimmy.

Now, it is equally apparent that Red has charisma, and is generating enthusiasm amongst players and recruits.

He may or may not turn out to be a great x's and o's coach, but I have zero doubt that he will get players going 100%+ every minute they are on the floor, and in my mind, if a Coach can do that, success will follow.

A successful season this year is getting into the tournament. We need to do that to continue our sudden recruiting momentum from this summer. 21-10 with 12 ACC games would be good. I get it's his first year, but first year coaches are successful all the time and basketball can be turned around in just a season.

A successful season this year is getting into the tournament. We need to do that to continue our sudden recruiting momentum from this summer. 21-10 with 12 ACC games would be good. I get it's his first year, but first year coaches are successful all the time and basketball can be turned around in just a season.
Mizzou’s 2022 would be a good year one for Red and Xavier’s 2022 would be a great year one for Red.

Two first year coaches who play with some tempo, Miller more than Gates, and didn’t completely overhaul the roster with transfers. The template for a successful season is there.

We should be able to put scrubs around Mintz and Starling and make the tournament. That should be minimum expectation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom