Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End

Every player was asked if they would be returning. They all managed to answer the question without actually answering and without incident. It wouldnt have been difficult
The decision has been made, we can stop pretending that JB didnt do this on purpose

is there any reason why after yesterday’s cluster, we have not announced the press conference to welcome our new head coach and for him to answer questions? And hopefully have JB with him wishing him well?

I mean, we have some of the greatest public relations minds in the country on our campus and this is what we come up with?
I said this before the PC and afterwards that I expected a PC on Monday to announce the retirement and new hiring. What the school did wasnt wrong but if they released a statement Friday at 5 pm to announce a PC on Monday then all the wrinkles hopefully could have been ironed out.

Instead we got what we got.

JB brought this 'cold' ending on himself. It's their choice it's their choice he inanely said in the press conference.

“They have to make their decision and it’s up to them,” Boeheim said. “I hope we can make an agreement but that remains to be seen. Is that clear?”

Narcassistic right to the end playing the victim. He thinks he's a martyr now.

What a shame he brought it to this. He clearly didn't have a contract for next year and he wanted one. He forced their hand by not going gracefully. He could have and should have announced his retirement and then it would've been parades for days.

The University doesn't owe him anything at this point, JB cashed in that ticket when they allowed him to stay on after the last NCAA sanctions, a decision that also forced Hopkins to leave.

The press release and end result here wasn't hastily drawn up. Autry had to agree to the promotion, because they couldn't blindly promote Autry yesterday without his approval and agreed terms, and that didn't happen in the Greensboro locker room. This was already done.

It's obvious leading up to this over the past few weeks they had wanted Jim to announce his retirement and he just wouldn't do it, and after his bizarre presser they had no choice.

It's such a shame Boeheim just couldn't accept things and have done this gracefully. Depending on JBs damage control here, the parades and statues are just not going to have the same feel. I feel bad about it but it's really all on JB.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF
you bascially summed up why I skipped the last game. Personal first hand experience too. You're take is spot on. Dudes a Legend. Absolutely. Time to move on. The question is will he go quietly into the night. Think we both know the chances of that.

you bascially summed up why I skipped the last game. Personal first hand experience too. You're take is spot on. Dudes a Legend. Absolutely. Time to move on. The question is will he go quietly into the night. Think we both know the chances of that.

Time heals all wounds.

My opinion only, but I don't think that JB could even bring himself to say "retirement" out loud yesterday, because as soon as he states it -- it's over.

When next season starts, I think his spectre will loom at the beginning of the season, because he's been at the helm for nearly 50 years. And it will be weird for him, Autry, AND the fanbase -- because change isn't easy.

But after a couple of games, it won't seem as weird. And JB will grow accustomed to sitting in room 12, and not being on the sidelines. The fans won't worry about it anymore, because they'll be focused on the team's performance. And we'll still see Jim at every home game, when the camera invariably focuses on him for a brief segment every game, with the announcers waxing reverentially about his accomplishments.

And all will be well.

I'm guessing that even some of these national interviews have been cathartic for JB, and will help the process of moving on.

is there any reason why after yesterday’s cluster, we have not announced the press conference to welcome our new head coach and for him to answer questions? And hopefully have JB with him wishing him well?

I mean, we have some of the greatest public relations minds in the country on our campus and this is what we come up with?
I don't need a press conference when the season is still going on for most other teams.

Too many awkward questions about JB that will inevitably be asked.

Time heals all wounds.

My opinion only, but I don't think that JB could even bring himself to say "retirement" out loud yesterday, because as soon as he states it -- it's over.

When next season starts, I think his spectre will loom at the beginning of the season, because he's been at the helm for nearly 50 years. And it will be weird for him, Autry, AND the fanbase -- because change isn't easy.

But after a couple of games, it won't seem as weird. And JB will grow accustomed to sitting in room 12, and not being on the sidelines. The fans won't worry about it anymore, because they'll be focused on the team's performance. And we'll still see Jim at every home game, when the camera invariably focuses on him for a brief segment every game, with the announcers waxing reverentially about his accomplishments.

And all will be well.

I'm guessing that even some of these national interviews have been cathartic for JB, and will help the process of moving on.
man here's hoping you are the one right here and not the Otrain take above yours!

Lets hope, and in retrospect from my last post above it IS possible we see him sitting there in the dome at times if he lets the better part of the angels in his personality win out. Though it's true he exhibits some narcissistic traits as Phat notes, he is NOT a narcissist.

At least I don't think so. Those folks are incapable of letting the better angels win out. From the charity work with Juli, reports aplenty on here from others with good exposures to him, to simply the great and phenomenal father he appear to be with some beautiful souled children whom it appears he loves and supports unconditionally and absolutely love him back (narcissists kids generally don't feel that way), anyway theres a good chance what you say here can transpire over time.

From your keyboard to Gods ears Ryan!

Last edited:
Time heals all wounds.

And all will be well.

So you don't think he will pull a Coach K and stay away from games for a year to let Adrian have some room to be his own coach? :)

No one said to announce during the presser. That's kind of a dumb spot imo to. But trust me this has been leading up for several weeks. They would've been fine with an announcement any day before then and likely would've been fine with an announcement this week, except for that bizarre woah is me presser that all but said I'm not going anywhere, they're going to have to fire me.
Honest question - what harm would have been done by the University waiting until JB got back to Cuse, talking to him last night or today and then if things did not work out, issue the very same announcement they did yesterday. What was the huge rush to get the announcement out yesterday, even with JB actions at his presser? The portal doesn't open until Monday. The announcement could have waited.

Honest question - what harm would have been done by the University waiting until JB got back to Cuse, talking to him last night or today and then if things did not work out, issue the very same announcement they did yesterday. What was the huge rush to get the announcement out yesterday, even with JB actions at his presser? The portal doesn't open until Monday. The announcement could have waited.
Because that’s not the story the admin wanted in the news…..

Well per what Bees said around the players being told- makes a lot of sense the quick turnaround too.

Wow, what a whirlwind of events... a heartbreaking buzzer beater, a weird hint at retirement, and an hour later Red is the coach... dang that was a lot to digest. If I'm honest I was hoping for an external hire, but since that's not the route SU chose, I'm super excited to see Red get his chance. He's a super likeable guy, and he seems to have a great relationship with the players. I'm hoping that translates into most of the guys returning. With new coaching tactics, man to man defense, and a year of experience, this young team could be good next year if they stick together. Let's Go Orange!

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't say thanks for the memories Coach Boeheim. Syracuse hoops made Syracuse winters tolerable for me for many many years. Thank you for your service, loyalty and for putting us on the map in the world of college basketball. I hope the NCAA gives you all your wins back too.

I hate to quote The Wolf, but let's see how he does before patting yourself on the back TOO much!

Remains to be seen whether this will be a good hire.
Sorry wasn’t meant to be like that. Obviously I have no idea how Red will do but I think he does well…

But the post was just in response to who the AD would consider seriously

It really wasn't though.

10 years ago would have been the same situation.

The Syracuse basketball alums got what they wanted. Red or Gmac was always the preferred choice by people more iintelligent than message board posters.
Of course the Syracuse alumns are going to want one of their own. Big shocker there. Ex players are barely fit to make rational choices do to built in bias. Do we see a big recruiting jump from Red? I can’t see it. Does the hire cure the apathetic fan base and goes back to 20k+ for home games? Highly doubtful. Not to even fake a national search after 7 years of irrelevancy is shocking. In no other circumstance , in no other sport would this hire been made in similar circumstances. Name one. Even if they had to hire from within they made the wrong choice. Total $h0w up there

Last edited:
Of course the Syracuse alumns are going to want one of their own. Big shocker there. Ex players are barely fit to make rational choices do to built in bias. Do we see a big recruiting jump from Red? I can’t see it. Does the hire cure the apathetic fan base and goes back to 20k+ for home games? Highly doubtful. Not to even fake a national search after 7 years of irrelevancy is shocking. In no other circumstance , in no other sport would this hire been made in similar circumstances. Name one. Even if they had to hire from within they made the wrong choice. Total $h0w up there
Time will tell refer to this post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom