Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End

Didn't want to start a new thread so I will put this here.

If the Bernie Fine scandal never happens, are we in better shape now? Having Bernie around, who could challenge JB on decisions? Was it a coincidence that after Bernie left things changed?

If the NCAA sanctions never happen, does JB retire after 2016? Or 2017 with over 1000 Ws? His 1000th W could have been his defacto retirement speech like last weekend.

Edit

Also that 1000th W would have made JB the 1st ever to do so at one school. Coach K didn't achieve that until 9 months later.

Last edited:
When you look back on the craziness of yesterday, you really hope that everyone wakes up today and there are some great live interviews done on both sides that show a lot of the love that was missing yesterday. While it was time for a change, both parties have a lot to be appreciative for the last 60 years. It was a great marriage made in Orange heaven.

If the Bernie Fine scandal never happens, are we in better shape now? Having Bernie around, who could challenge JB on decisions? Was it a coincidence that after Bernie left things changed?

If the NCAA sanctions never happen, does JB retire after 2016? Or 2017 with over 1000 Ws? His 1000th W could have been his defacto retirement speech like last weekend.

My opinion only -- I don't think Bernie "challenged" JB on much, if anything. He was another yes man, but one who'd been a team manager back when JB was playing.

I also believe -- from having attended hundreds of practices over the years -- that his coaching capabilities are greatly exaggerated by some on the board.

His main value seemed to be that JB was comfortable with him.

Your second paragraph is accurate I believe.

There are a ton of young, hungry, energetic, up and coming head coaches. A National search may have been made. Just maybe we attract an icon as well. 10 years ago this would have been a slam dunk job. This was the lazy way out .
I don’t disagree that it would have been ideal to see the caliber of candidates that this job could attract. But we may see that in a few years if Red doesn’t work out. The flip side is that there’s no slam dunk mid-major hire out there this year (like Hurley a few years ago at UConn or Shaka when he was at VCU) ready to take the next step as a head coach. The best options from experienced major college programs were Miller and Smart, both of whom may not want to leave after only a year or two at their schools, and having gotten both on track and into the top 25. Pitino would have been a home run but probably has too much baggage and wouldn’t have come here b/c of his loyalty to JB, if JB didn’t want it. And the other experienced guys like Shrewsberry and Boynton are also risks. We, unfortunately, missed the boat on Oates back in 2020.

I hope we’ll all quickly see that Red is his own man and will go his own way while also taking the best of what he learned from JB. I think he’ll commit to playing man to man D and trying to play with more tempo and lean into analytics. I think he’ll also want to recruit more physical and athletic players, less of these lanky twigs. I do believe we’ll see an uptick in recruiting and talent acquisition right away. We’ll see how it all shakes out. Best of luck to Coach Red.

It feels like to me looking back on the press conference and all the events that transpired after with the ready to go press release that Jim and company knew that as soon as he lost a game it was done. Jim couldn't answer that question of Donna and Mike straight on, as I am sure he was told that the University was going to be putting out a statement. So, I do agree with Vitale it does seem like a cold break up, and one I hope that they can recover from. It is telling that we have not had a press release from Jim at all endorsing the move and Autry. This whole thing has been handled very poorly in my opinion. I hope that they right the ship soon. It would be a crying shame if we don't ever see Jim again because of this.

My opinion only -- I don't think Bernie "challenged" JB on much, if anything. He was another yes man, but one who'd been a team manager back when JB was playing.

I also believe -- from having attended hundreds of practices over the years -- that his coaching capabilities are greatly exaggerated by some on the board.

That event was a witch hunt that Jim thwarted away with aplomb

Mere mortals would have resigned when the jackals were circling. I can’t imagine that Bernie gate, probation, the driving accident all accelerated his aging to varying degrees

Individually those situations are crippling.

He’s a survivor. When I got to Syracuse in 94 he was under fire for probation, choking, and scheduling cup cakes. I always thought the Arkansas 95 game was going to force him out to another school. It seemed too much. Thankfully for Him and us the 96 run (which to me was the turning point) allowed him a second act and the success ultimately

It feels like to me looking back on the press conference and all the events that transpired after with the ready to go press release that Jim and company knew that as soon as he lost a game it was done. Jim couldn't answer that question of Donna and Mike straight on, as I am sure he was told that the University was going to be putting out a statement. So, I do agree with Vitale it does seem like a cold break up, and one I hope that they can recover from. It is telling that we have not had a press release from Jim at all endorsing the move and Autry. This whole thing has been handled very poorly in my opinion. I hope that they right the ship soon. It would be a crying shame if we don't ever see Jim again because of this.
Yeah, I put none of this on the AD, the athletic department, or the school.

Your second paragraph is accurate I believe.

Retiring in 2017 was really the perfect time. Just off a F4. First HC ever to win 1k at one school. In 2015 we likely have a win or two in the ACCT or NIT so he gets that 1k a month earlier. He was 72 years old. He gets to see all of Jimmy's games at Cornell and all of Buddy's games in HS. He can still advise Hop and follow SU. He could have seen both of his sons at SU last year. He could have been a TV analyst during the NCAAT. He would have been plenty busy the last 6 years.

Hop would have taken over in 2018. I do think without JB we are worse in 2018 and 2019. So we are looking at 3 straight non NCAAT years and 4 out of 5. I think 2020 and beyond would depend on how Hop was recruiting. If he did well, then we are better off those seasons and he is still HC. If he didn't then this year might have been year 1 of a new HC (I don't see SU firing Hop after the 2 Covid seasons, plus JB's kids were not on the team).

You mean he's not the greatest big man coach of all time? How dare you!

Did we not do a national search?

Obviously not. They only got up the courage to let him go in the last 48 hours or so. I guess this whole appointment is focused on keeping that young core of players together.

It really wasn't though.

10 years ago would have been the same situation.

The Syracuse basketball alums got what they wanted. Red or Gmac was always the preferred choice by people more iintelligent than message board posters.
"More intelligent" or More connected? I think there are a lot of smart alumni and a lot of smart posters, that doesn't mean red was/is the best choice. He might be, but assuming that because a bunch of former players, many of whom haven't played or coached in modern day college basketball, are somehow better equipped to chose the next coach purely off their team alumni status doesn't make much sense.

"More intelligent" or More connected? I think there are a lot of smart alumni and a lot of smart posters, that doesn't mean red was/is the best choice. He might be, but assuming that because a bunch of former players, many of whom haven't played or coached in modern day college basketball, are somehow better equipped to chose the next coach purely off their team alumni status doesn't make much sense.
More intelligent basketball wise.

Last edited:
I wish Coach Boeheim the best, I think he'd be great as a college basketball commentator.

Coach Autry was not one of my choices as new head coach but I do think he could be successful, time will tell.
I agree. Most of the commentators love him. Non popular opinion: Outside of his pressors he is wry, witty pretty much congenial.

Nobody could hold a clipboard better than Bernie.

JB brought this 'cold' ending on himself. It's their choice it's their choice he inanely said in the press conference.

“They have to make their decision and it’s up to them,” Boeheim said. “I hope we can make an agreement but that remains to be seen. Is that clear?”

Narcassistic right to the end playing the victim. He thinks he's a martyr now.

What a shame he brought it to this. He clearly didn't have a contract for next year and he wanted one. He forced their hand by not going gracefully. He could have and should have announced his retirement and then it would've been parades for days.

The University doesn't owe him anything at this point, JB cashed in that ticket when they allowed him to stay on after the last NCAA sanctions, a decision that also forced Hopkins to leave.

The press release and end result here wasn't hastily drawn up. Autry had to agree to the promotion, because they couldn't blindly promote Autry yesterday without his approval and agreed terms, and that didn't happen in the Greensboro locker room. This was already done.

It's obvious leading up to this over the past few weeks they had wanted Jim to announce his retirement and he just wouldn't do it, and after his bizarre presser they had no choice.

It's such a shame Boeheim just couldn't accept things and have done this gracefully. Depending on JBs damage control here, the parades and statues are just not going to have the same feel. I feel bad about it but it's really all on JB.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

JB brought this 'cold' ending on himself. It's their choice it's their choice he inanely said in the press conference.

“They have to make their decision and it’s up to them,” Boeheim said. “I hope we can make an agreement but that remains to be seen. Is that clear?”

Narcassistic right to the end playing the victim. He thinks he's a martyr now.

What a shame he brought it to this. He clearly didn't have a contract for next year and he wanted one. “That’s as clear as I can make it,” Boeheim said about an agreement for next year. He forced their hand by not going gracefully. He could have and should have announced his retirement and then it would've been parades for days.

The University doesn't owe him anything at this point, JB cashed in that ticket when they allowed him to stay on after the last NCAA sanctions, a decision that also forced Hopkins to leave.

The press release and end result here wasn't hastily drawn up. Autry had to agree to the promotion, because they couldn't blindly promote Autry yesterday without his approval and agreed terms, and that didn't happen in the Greensboro locker room. This was already done.

It's obvious leading up to this they had wanted Jim to announce his retirement and he just wouldn't do it and after his bizarre presser they had no choice.

It's such a shame Boeheim just couldn't accept things and have done this gracefully. Depending on JBs damage control here, the parades and statues are just not going to have the same feel. I feel bad about it but it's really all on JB.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF
You don't ask a coach to announce his retirement at the end of a press conference, especially after the way they lost the game at the end. You give the man a chance to collect himself and then when they get back to Syracuse call a formal press conference and allow him the opportunity to go out the right way. Could Jim have handled Donna's and Mike's question better, most definitely. But I stand by the fact that they should have given him the chance to do it back home, not some locker room in Greensboro!

You don't ask a coach to announce his retirement at the end of a press conference, especially after the way they lost the game at the end. You give the man a chance to collect himself and then when they get back to Syracuse call a formal press conference and allow him the opportunity to go out the right way. Could Jim have handled Donna's and Mike's question better, most definitely. But I stand by the fact that they should have given him the chance to do it back home, not some locker room in Greensboro!

No one said to announce during the presser. That's kind of a dumb spot imo to. But trust me this has been leading up for several weeks. They would've been fine with an announcement any day before then and likely would've been fine with an announcement this week, except for that bizarre woah is me presser that all but said I'm not going anywhere, they're going to have to fire me.

Last edited:
No one said to announce during the presser. That's kind of a dumb spot imo to. But trust me this has been leading up for several weeks. They would've been fine with an announcement any day before then and likely would've been fine with an announcement this week, except for that bizarre woah is me presser that all but said I'm not going anywhere, they're going to have to fire me.

Yeah, his tone-deafness is startling.
They gave him a chance at a graceful exit, and he just couldn't bring himself to accept it.
He let the whole world know he was fired instead. Very strange dude.

He could have said A) we have time to talk about my future and we will have something later this week or B) I gave my retirement speech Saturday, I'm not sure what role I will have, if any, with the school moving forward, all of that will be settled in the coming weeks.

Or I will address my future later this week for now let's focus on the players and the heart they showed yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited:
is there any reason why after yesterday’s cluster, we have not announced the press conference to welcome our new head coach and for him to answer questions? And hopefully have JB with him wishing him well?

I mean, we have some of the greatest public relations minds in the country on our campus and this is what we come up with?

He could have said A) we have time to talk about my future and we will have something later this week or B) I gave my retirement speech Saturday, I'm not sure what role I will have, if any, with the school moving forward, all of that will be settle in the coming weeks.

Or I will address my future later this week for now let's focus on the players and the heart they showed yadda yadda yadda.
Every player was asked if they would be returning. They all managed to answer the question without actually answering and without incident. It wouldnt have been difficult

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom