Adrian Flemming article answers a lot of questions | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Flemming article answers a lot of questions

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
For some reason there is no link up yet for it.

A few years ago during an open practice at Manley Field House, Adrian opened a lot of eyes among syracusefan.com attendees. Two times he went up on long down and outs and made sensational catches. When the season came he rarely if ever played. Rumors went around that he had the Marcus Sales syndrome, great player, lousy practice player, a kid who didn't give it his all.

This article sheds some light on the truth.

"SENIOR’S CATCH A LONG TIME COMING

By Michael Cohen

mcohen@syracuse.com
I
t was the final week of preseason camp in 2012 when Adrian Flemming’s ankle let him down. He had jumped to catch a pass, extending both hands high above his head and making use of a 37.5-inch vertical leap, only to come back to earth in frightening fashion.

Flemming’s left ankle twisted so badly that he felt like “it was touching the back of my leg.” He screamed in pain, writhed in agony, and a break-out preseason camp was cut short by the dreaded high ankle sprain.

“He really came on strong and had a great camp last year,” Syracuse wide receivers coach Rob Moore said. “He got the high ankle sprain, and whoever has had that knows it’s a really tough injury because it’s easy to reaggravate it. And once you reaggravate it, you set yourself back even further.”

The high ankle ligaments connect the tibia to the fibula on the upper part of the ankle. A sprain occurs when there is tearing or significant damage to the ligaments.

Flemming’s sprain was so severe that it cost him all but five games in 2012, and even those five were marred with pain. He was on crutches and wore a soft cast for much of the season. He did not return to 100 percent until this summer.

Flemming is healthy for the first time in his Syracuse career. The senior receiver made his first collegiate catch in the loss to Penn State and has cemented himself as the No. 2 target alongside veteran Jarrod West. Together they form a tandem of tall, physically gifted receivers that coaches are hoping can be potent targets deep downfield and especially in the red zone.

“He had a lot of injuries over the last couple years,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said. “He’s a very hard-working kid, very strong hands, big body. I’ve been pleased with the way he’s developed, and I’m looking forward to seeing his role continue to grow week to week throughout the season.”

Flemming’s first catch in a Syracuse uniform came on a third-and-6 play on SU’s opening drive of the season."

Quarterback Drew Allen fired a pass into traffic, and two Penn State defenders collided near the right sideline.

Somehow the ball squirted through to Flemming, who hauled it in for a gain of 13 yards.

The emotion of the moment boiled over for Flemming, who bobbed his head with a swagger indicative of a player who feels like it’s his time to shine. The SU sideline roared.

“It was amazing,” Flemming said, unable to contain a smile. “I’ve been waiting on that for my whole career. To finally get it and help the team, it felt great.”

It’s been a long time coming for Flemming, who played in 19 games before recording his first catch.

Aside from the ankle sprain, Flemming has been hampered by annoying groin and hamstring problems over the years.

Flemming now treats the problem areas of his body as if they are still hurt. Every day he does calf raises and stretches his ankle with a thera-band to increase flexibility. He uses ice and heat on his groin and hamstring before and after every practice.

The dedication and work ethic both on and off the field endeared Flemming to Moore, his position coach.

And when the pupil finally hauled in his first pass in an SU uniform, the teacher beamed.

“I was excited for him knowing the hard work he has put in, some of the things he’s had to battle through,” Moore said. “You always root for guys that work hard and really deserve the opportunities they get.”

At 6-foot-3 and more than 200 pounds, Flemming has the body and skillset needed to contribute, Moore said. His size makes him an asset in the running and screen game — he’s a talented blocker who can stifle defensive backs at the line of scrimmage — as well as a tremendous target on jump balls down the field or in the end zone.

Flemming was targeted eight times on Saturday, tied with H-back Ashton Broyld for most on the team. Allen hurled multiple deep passes in the direction of the player he called “a great route runner,” but they were not able to connect. The trust, though, is there.

This week Flemming believes it will be a different story. While game one was about learning and adjusting, game two is about doing.

And since he already has his first catch, a touchdown is the next item on the to-do list.

“It’s going to feel great,” Flemming said, that smile returning to his face. “But I can’t share (the dance) with you yet.”

Image_0.jpg

Syracuse receiver Adrian Flemming is tackled by Penn State linebacker Ben Kline during Saturday’s game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. (Dick Blume / dblume@syracuse.com)

Given Allen's faith in his route running, and the concentration and hands he showed to make that catch in traffic at PSU, I think Flemming might have the most potential of the WRs...

Given Allen's faith in his route running, and the concentration and hands he showed to make that catch in traffic at PSU, I think Flemming might have the most potential of the WRs...

Two most important factors in success of our offense:
1. positive rushing yardage on first down (run blocking)
2. connection between Allen & Flemming -- for me, "route running" means getting some separation (yet to be seen).

West will be fine, Broyld is coming on, but we need Flemming to blossom.

For some reason there is no link up yet for it.

A few years ago during an open practice at Manley Field House, Adrian opened a lot of eyes among syracusefan.com attendees. Two times he went up on long down and outs and made sensational catches. When the season came he rarely if ever played. Rumors went around that he had the Marcus Sales syndrome, great player, lousy practice player, a kid who didn't give it his all.

This article sheds some light on the truth.

"SENIOR’S CATCH A LONG TIME COMING

By Michael Cohen

mcohen@syracuse.com
I
t was the final week of preseason camp in 2012 when Adrian Flemming’s ankle let him down. He had jumped to catch a pass, extending both hands high above his head and making use of a 37.5-inch vertical leap, only to come back to earth in frightening fashion.

Flemming’s left ankle twisted so badly that he felt like “it was touching the back of my leg.” He screamed in pain, writhed in agony, and a break-out preseason camp was cut short by the dreaded high ankle sprain.

“He really came on strong and had a great camp last year,” Syracuse wide receivers coach Rob Moore said. “He got the high ankle sprain, and whoever has had that knows it’s a really tough injury because it’s easy to reaggravate it. And once you reaggravate it, you set yourself back even further.”

The high ankle ligaments connect the tibia to the fibula on the upper part of the ankle. A sprain occurs when there is tearing or significant damage to the ligaments.

Flemming’s sprain was so severe that it cost him all but five games in 2012, and even those five were marred with pain. He was on crutches and wore a soft cast for much of the season. He did not return to 100 percent until this summer.

Flemming is healthy for the first time in his Syracuse career. The senior receiver made his first collegiate catch in the loss to Penn State and has cemented himself as the No. 2 target alongside veteran Jarrod West. Together they form a tandem of tall, physically gifted receivers that coaches are hoping can be potent targets deep downfield and especially in the red zone.

“He had a lot of injuries over the last couple years,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said. “He’s a very hard-working kid, very strong hands, big body. I’ve been pleased with the way he’s developed, and I’m looking forward to seeing his role continue to grow week to week throughout the season.”

Flemming’s first catch in a Syracuse uniform came on a third-and-6 play on SU’s opening drive of the season."

Quarterback Drew Allen fired a pass into traffic, and two Penn State defenders collided near the right sideline.

Somehow the ball squirted through to Flemming, who hauled it in for a gain of 13 yards.

The emotion of the moment boiled over for Flemming, who bobbed his head with a swagger indicative of a player who feels like it’s his time to shine. The SU sideline roared.

“It was amazing,” Flemming said, unable to contain a smile. “I’ve been waiting on that for my whole career. To finally get it and help the team, it felt great.”

It’s been a long time coming for Flemming, who played in 19 games before recording his first catch.

Aside from the ankle sprain, Flemming has been hampered by annoying groin and hamstring problems over the years.

Flemming now treats the problem areas of his body as if they are still hurt. Every day he does calf raises and stretches his ankle with a thera-band to increase flexibility. He uses ice and heat on his groin and hamstring before and after every practice.

The dedication and work ethic both on and off the field endeared Flemming to Moore, his position coach.

And when the pupil finally hauled in his first pass in an SU uniform, the teacher beamed.

“I was excited for him knowing the hard work he has put in, some of the things he’s had to battle through,” Moore said. “You always root for guys that work hard and really deserve the opportunities they get.”

At 6-foot-3 and more than 200 pounds, Flemming has the body and skillset needed to contribute, Moore said. His size makes him an asset in the running and screen game — he’s a talented blocker who can stifle defensive backs at the line of scrimmage — as well as a tremendous target on jump balls down the field or in the end zone.

Flemming was targeted eight times on Saturday, tied with H-back Ashton Broyld for most on the team. Allen hurled multiple deep passes in the direction of the player he called “a great route runner,” but they were not able to connect. The trust, though, is there.

This week Flemming believes it will be a different story. While game one was about learning and adjusting, game two is about doing.

And since he already has his first catch, a touchdown is the next item on the to-do list.

“It’s going to feel great,” Flemming said, that smile returning to his face. “But I can’t share (the dance) with you yet.”

Image_0.jpg

Syracuse receiver Adrian Flemming is tackled by Penn State linebacker Ben Kline during Saturday’s game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. (Dick Blume / dblume@syracuse.com)

Good kid, good family. Really hope he can stay healthy and have a great senior season. He deserves it after all the hard work he has done to get on the field.

Given that, why didn't he redshirt last season? I feel like we had the depth for it, especially once Lemon came back.

Great article and great focus for this kid to not give up and get himself back on the field. I hope he proves himself worthy and stays healthy, that kid deserves it and we Orange fans would be greatful. Plus having a solid #2 helps Allen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom