AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Symphony Steve

All American
There's a new, and possibly serious, would-be major pro wrestling company, and they had their kick-off rally today. AEW, All Elite Wrestling, has big bucks behind it as the family that owns the Jacksonville Jaguars is underwriting it. They make Vince look like a pauper.

The promotion will be headed by Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks. Chris Jericho, Pac (Neville in WWE), and Hangman Page are among the first signees. Kenny Omega is expected to come on board once his contract with New Japan expires at the end of January. They're in it for the long haul as the Khans have signed Cody and the Bucks to 5-year contracts. Dave Meltzer thinks the promotion is close to getting a TV deal. Here's some more about the new promotion:

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/chris-jericho-shocks-by-signing-with-all-elite-wrestling-as-aew-rally-hits-a-home-run/

If you, like me, are bored with the WWE product, this may well become a viable alternative. I'm psyched, so I'll continue to update this thread. I hope that people who are interested in this new promotion will use this thread to express your views.

the McMahons may not care, could even root for it to succeed.

1 thing this thing won’t have...is history.

You can’t buy that...or can you???!

Competition for eyeballs has always been good for wrestling.

What will be the unique selling proposition of this new promotion? From the article, the only difference from the WWE that I saw identified was that they will pay women fairly.

former WWE star "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn will serve as a producer.
this does not make me confident about their success

the McMahons may not care, could even root for it to succeed.

1 thing this thing won’t have...is history.

You can’t buy that...or can you???!

Competition for eyeballs has always been good for wrestling.

They're not happy. There's a bidding war for talent now. WWE wanted to lock up as many people as possible. This is a viable alternative b/c, unlike TNA, now known as Impact Wrestling, there's real money behind this enterprise. Plus, a lot of wrestlers aren't happy who are in WWE.

I don't know how familiar you are with either NJPW (New Japan) and/or Kenny Omega. But New Japan has been the gold standard for the in-ring product the last 5 years or so. Omega has had some of the greatest matches you'll ever see in New Japan. WWE has made a big play for him, but it looks like he's coming to AEW. Rhodes, Jericho and the Young Bucks have all held belts in New Japan. One of the problems with WWE is that they take amazing talent and force them to wrestle that WWE style, which is why there's a 'sameness' to so many of its matches. A New Japan card is much more diverse. If the money is even competitive, a lot of wrestlers prefer the freedom of expression New Japan, ROH, and presumably, AEW will offer them.

Last edited:
What will be the unique selling proposition of this new promotion? From the article, the only difference from the WWE that I saw identified was that they will pay women fairly.

The impetus for the promotion came from Rhodes and the Young Bucks (arguably the best tag team in the world) selling over 10,000 tickets for an indy show called 'All In'. That got the attention of the Khans. I think the unique selling proposition will be an in-ring product that is more diverse than what you see in WWE. Hey, the odds are still against them, but they've already signed some quality wrestlers, and those with expiring contracts from WWE and elsewhere are definitely interested.

They'll have time to polish the product as the kickoff will be in May in Las Vegas at 'All-In 2'.

Last edited:
I’m all ears. WWE bores me to tears, 95% of the time.

Competition can only be a good thing. WWE’s roster is ridiculously loaded. They’ll be fine from that standpoint even if they lose a lot of talent. Talent is not their problem it’s the whole approach is dull.

And Jericho makes me automatically interested, wherever he shows up. He’s kinda pudgy and old but he flat out knows how to talk and sell an angle and tell stories, etc. Lost arts in WWE.

I’m all ears. WWE bores me to tears, 95% of the time.

Competition can only be a good thing. WWE’s roster is ridiculously loaded. They’ll be fine from that standpoint even if they lose a lot of talent. Talent is not their problem it’s the whole approach is dull.

And Jericho makes me automatically interested, wherever he shows up. He’s kinda pudgy and old but he flat out knows how to talk and sell an angle and tell stories, etc. Lost arts in WWE.

If you've ever heard Chris Jericho in an interview, you know that he is a brilliant creative mind. Look at how many different characters he's created just for himself. Kenny Omega is also a brilliant mind, and understands in-ring psychology, feud-building and match-building as well as anybody. Both would be at least as important in creating the product as they would be as in-ring performers.

When you write that '...the whole approach is dull...', you identify the real problem. At 73 years old, Vince has lost it. He books based on last week's ratings. So there's no continuity. He's the proverbial 800-pound gorilla in the 'gorilla position'.

AEW has signed Jungle Boy, who is green as grass, but who (a) shows great promise and (b) is the son of actor Luke Perry.

AEW has signed Jungle Boy, who is green as grass, but who (a) shows great promise and (b) is the son of actor Luke Perry.
Luke Perry? So he’s a short skinny dude, likely balding by 20??

Trent Barretta and Chuckie T, who have been a tag team in New Japan, are reportedly on their way to AEW, This makes sense, as the Young Bucks plan to make tag teams a centerpiece of the promotion.

Pentagon Jr. and Ray Fenix will wrestle dates for AEW. Pentagon Jr. was a TNA Impact World Champion and, with Fenix, tag team champions. They're one of the best tag teams in the world. That tag team division is gonna rock.

They can't sign an exclusive contract b/c they still have one of those Lucha Underground contracts that is still in force even though there don't appear to be any plans for a new season. They are very much in demand by everybody.

Real interested to see what kind of TV deal they end up with

Real interested to see what kind of TV deal they end up with

All I know is that Dave Meltzer said it would definitely be a much better situation than with TNA and Spike. Apparently there are at least two suitors.

At tonight's rally for the Double Or Nothing PPV in Las Vegas, Cody Rhodes announced a working agreement with Mexico's Triple A promotion, considered the best lucha libre promotion in Mexico. AAA Cruiserweight champion Sammy Guevara appears. He looks like he's about 15. Hangman Adam Page vs. Pac (formerly Neville in WWE) announced for Double Or Nothing.

The Young Bucks introduce Chuckie T and Trent Baretta, aka the Best Friends, to AEW, Ray Fenix and Pentagon Jr., aka the Lucha Brothers follow them out. They take out the Young Bucks. Clearly there will be a big emphasis on tag teams in AEW.

Brandi Rhodes, who is in charge of the Women's Division, comes out. She announces Yuka Sakuzaki and Aja Kong (!), all 48 years of her, and intoduces Kylie Rae, who has had a solid indy career. Then Nyla Rose, a larger indy wrestler.

Out come SoCalUncensored, Christopher Daniels, Frank Kazerian, and Scorpio Sky. They show a tape of OWE (Oriental Wrestling Entertainment), with whom AEW has a working relationship.

And finally, oh YES, Kenny Omega comes out. One of the best wrestlers in the world coming in from New Japan. Both he and Jericho are among the best in ring psychology ever. This is the key signing for AEW. One of the world's best wrestlers brings instant credibility to the promotion. Now out comes Jericho looking a little beefier than I recall, and, surprisesurprise, he and Omega tangle with each other. Looks like that will be the main event at Double Or Nothing.

At tonight's rally for the Double Or Nothing PPV in Las Vegas, Cody Rhodes announced a working agreement with Mexico's Triple A promotion, considered the best lucha libre promotion in Mexico. AAA Cruiserweight champion Sammy Guevara appears. He looks like he's about 15. Hangman Adam Page vs. Pac (formerly Neville in WWE) announced for Double Or Nothing.

The Young Bucks introduce Chuckie T and Trent Baretta, aka the Best Friends, to AEW, Ray Fenix and Pentagon Jr., aka the Lucha Brothers follow them out. They take out the Young Bucks. Clearly there will be a big emphasis on tag teams in AEW.

Brandi Rhodes, who is in charge of the Women's Division, comes out. She announces Yuka Sakuzaki and Aja Kong (!), all 48 years of her, and intoduces Kylie Rae, who has had a solid indy career. Then Nyla Rose, a larger indy wrestler.

Out come SoCalUncensored, Christopher Daniels, Frank Kazerian, and Scorpio Sky. They show a tape of OWE (Oriental Wrestling Entertainment), with whom AEW has a working relationship.

And finally, oh YES, Kenny Omega comes out. One of the best wrestlers in the world coming in from New Japan. Both he and Jericho are among the best in ring psychology ever. This is the key signing for AEW. One of the world's best wrestlers brings instant credibility to the promotion. Now out comes Jericho looking a little beefier than I recall, and, surprisesurprise, he and Omega tangle with each other. Looks like that will be the main event at Double Or Nothing.
How can watch it?

Also, Christopher Daniels from tna? Always had a sweet finisher

Just finished listening to a great interview with Chris Jericho, conducted by Dave Meltzer and Garrett Gonzalez over at Wrestling Observer radio. If you're a subscriber, by all means check it out. One of the many points that Jericho made was that the roster will be character-driven, and that they are prioritizing individuals who can do their own promos and get their characters over.

In other words, wherever possible, they won't follow the inane WWE scripted promos that are often so painful. He also said that they're not gonna bring familiar faces in for 'nostalgia pops'.

He also said that AEW really wants to work w/New Japan. If they can make that work, they're well on their way to success.

Good Ol' JR has signed with AEW. Not so much to be an announcer, although he could call the occasional match, but to help build the company. Ross was the head of Talent Relations in WWE for some time, and he has contacts everywhere, including in New Japan.

Just finished listening to a great interview with Chris Jericho, conducted by Dave Meltzer and Garrett Gonzalez over at Wrestling Observer radio. If you're a subscriber, by all means check it out. One of the many points that Jericho made was that the roster will be character-driven, and that they are prioritizing individuals who can do their own promos and get their characters over.

In other words, wherever possible, they won't follow the inane WWE scripted promos that are often so painful. He also said that they're not gonna bring familiar faces in for 'nostalgia pops'.

He also said that AEW really wants to work w/New Japan. If they can make that work, they're well on their way to success.

The real life WWE promos are EXACTLY like the scripted, wooden ones on their video games. There’s zero difference.

AEW is close to announcing a TV deal, according to Wrestling Observer. It will be a two-hour weekly show, likely starting in October, on what is described as a 'major non-network' station. Sounds like something like WGN to me.

While the deal is not done, sources indicate that Turner, either TBS and/or TNT, is the front-runner. With the May Double Or Nothing show, expect an announcement within the next couple of weeks.

It will run the same course as the WWE.

Over exposure on TV, raises consumer demands, which ultimately can't be delivered.

It will run the same course as the WWE.

Over exposure on TV, raises consumer demands, which ultimately can't be delivered.

Maybe. But they're only talking about one 2-hour show a week. If people like the product, overexposure won't be the problem. And they've got some of the best wrestlers, both single and tag-team, signed.

They're fortunate in that this guy who is the money man makes Vince look like a pauper.

Maybe. But they're only talking about one 2-hour show a week. If people like the product, overexposure won't be the problem. And they've got some of the best wrestlers, both single and tag-team, signed.

They're fortunate in that this guy who is the money man makes Vince look like a pauper.

Ultimately I just hope they know how to make things feel important.

In WWE, we know that Chris Jericho vs. Cody Rhodes was probably a throwaway match in the first hour of Smackdown 5 different times just in 2009 alone or something.

Can AEW make Chris Jericho vs Cody Rhodes a big deal?

I hope they know how to let their talent shine by booking things well.