AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Ultimately I just hope they know how to make things feel important.

In WWE, we know that Chris Jericho vs. Cody Rhodes was probably a throwaway match in the first hour of Smackdown 5 different times just in 2009 alone or something.

Can AEW make Chris Jericho vs Cody Rhodes a big deal?

I hope they know how to let their talent shine by booking things well.

I'm hoping they do well, because it will be better for basically everyone if they do, but I just, Cody Rhodes as a top guy? Not sure about that

I'm hoping they do well, because it will be better for basically everyone if they do, but I just, Cody Rhodes as a top guy? Not sure about that

Yeah, he’d have to really nail his character to be a top guy.

The only time I enjoyed him in WWE was the Dashing Cody Rhodes gimmick, and then even moreso when he went psycho and started wearing the mask.

The top guy is Kenny Omega, who has been the best wrestler in the world for the past three years. Cody is more of a public face of the company, but he's probably about the #4 guy in terms of the pecking order. #5 at best if they get Ambrose. Oh, and I fully expect for them to cut a working agreement with New Japan. At that point, nothing in WWE, at least on the main roster, will be able to compete in terms of match quality. Plus, they've got a real solid tag-team division, highlighted by the Young Bucks.

And don't forget that they're just starting and they've got big money behind them. They've got a fighting chance to establish themselves as the legit #2 American promotion.

The top guy is Kenny Omega, who has been the best wrestler in the world for the past three years. Cody is more of a public face of the company, but he's probably about the #4 guy in terms of the pecking order. #5 at best if they get Ambrose. Oh, and I fully expect for them to cut a working agreement with New Japan. At that point, nothing in WWE, at least on the main roster, will be able to compete in terms of match quality. Plus, they've got a real solid tag-team division, highlighted by the Young Bucks.

And don't forget that they're just starting and they've got big money behind them. They've got a fighting chance to establish themselves as the legit #2 American promotion.

I know the roster, I'm not saying Cody is going to be the #1 top guy in the promotion, but he's heavily involved. I just struggle to see him as a top of the card guy is all. Omega is great, no question.

Cody vs. Gol(d)ustin at Double Or Nothing. Probably third or 4th from the top on the card.

According to Dave Meltzer, it's a real good deal for AEW. They're getting all their production costs paid, which he estimates to be between $20-30 mill a year. No other wrestling company gets that, including WWE, whose production costs for TV he estimates at about $100 mill a year. Meaning, to get to the real value of the WWE deals, you have to subtract $100 mill in productions costs from the stated value of the contracts.

AEW will also get an ad revenue guarantee, plus a percentage of ad revenues.

Plus, here's something all true wrestling fans should love. From Dave Meltzer:

"The one thing that is for certain is that there will be no scripting of promos and no teleprompter usage for promos. The idea is to avoid the robotic delivered reading or memorizing of lines that many have complained has taken the soul out of wrestling and created a period where the in-ring work in WWE has never been better but the promos have never been worse."

According to Dave Meltzer, it's a real good deal for AEW. They're getting all their production costs paid, which he estimates to be between $20-30 mill a year. No other wrestling company gets that, including WWE, whose production costs for TV he estimates at about $100 mill a year. Meaning, to get to the real value of the WWE deals, you have to subtract $100 mill in productions costs from the stated value of the contracts.

AEW will also get an ad revenue guarantee, plus a percentage of ad revenues.

Plus, here's something all true wrestling fans should love. From Dave Meltzer:

"The one thing that is for certain is that there will be no scripting of promos and no teleprompter usage for promos. The idea is to avoid the robotic delivered reading or memorizing of lines that many have complained has taken the soul out of wrestling and created a period where the in-ring work in WWE has never been better but the promos have never been worse."
The most important thing for this company is having compelling storylines and promos.
The wrestling isn’t going to get fans as WWE is loaded with solid wrestling matches.
It’s the garbage storylines, scripted promos and 50/50’booking for everyone but the Cena/Reigns types that have killed the company.

The most important thing for this company is having compelling storylines and promos.
The wrestling isn’t going to get fans as WWE is loaded with solid wrestling matches.
It’s the garbage storylines, scripted promos and 50/50’booking for everyone but the Cena/Reigns types that have killed the company.
I'll disagree just a bit on the wrestling. The WWE 'style' makes most matches look the same. Even great wrestlers like Ricochet have to adjust to the WWE style. And the way they're presented is so predictable. Wrestlers go to the outside? Time to cut to commercial. There's no real chance to build a match.

If you've watched any of New Japan on AXS, you know about the diversity of the matches. New Japan doesn't impose one style on the matches. In fact, for the most part, the wrestlers lay out the matches, not agents, as is the norm in WWE. I hope and think that AEW will skew toward the diversity of New Japan. And I think that fans will enjoy that diversity.

Last edited:
I'll disagree just a bit on the wrestling. The WWE 'style' makes most matches look the same. Even great wrestlers like Ricochet have to adjust to the WWE style. And the way they're presented is so predictable. Wrestlers go to the outside? Time to cut to commercial. There's no real chance to build a match.

If you've watched any of New Japan on AXS, you know about the diversity of the matches. New Japan doesn't impose one style on the matches. In fact, for the most part, the wrestlers lay out the matches, not agents, as is the norm in WWE. I hope and think that AEW will skew toward the diversity of New Japan. And I think that fans will enjoy that diversity.

Agreed. Most of the matches bore me to tears too and feel just as “cookie cutter” as the promos.

They may have athletic performers doing athletic things, but most of the matches don’t draw me in either.

AEW Double or Nothing - I’m home sick and will not be leaving the house for anything. Really considering ordering this, but $50? The WWE network price point makes spending $50 for one event seem absurd.

AEW Double or Nothing - I’m home sick and will not be leaving the house for anything. Really considering ordering this, but $50? The WWE network price point makes spending $50 for one event seem absurd.

Yup. That, plus the NBA game. I'm really on the fence.

I'm afraid they are killing themselves with that price. Be interesting to see what the buy rate is if it comes out. It's just dumb. They are paying guys a lot of money but you shouldn't try to make it all back at once.

I bought the PPV just because I want them to survive.
I am not going to watch it tonight but will watch this weekend.

That six-man opener demonstrated just how ponderous WWE tag-team wrestling is. That was bleepin' spectacular.

I made the plunge, bought it. There are some misses but the Rhodes brothers match was something.

Now THAT was a bleeping show. The Rhodes match was epic. The final tag match was also awesome. I really enjoyed the six-man tag that kicked the show off. Wasn't blown away by Jericho/Omega (they couldn't upstage Cody and Goldustin), though I loved that table spot. Nothing sucked other than the pre-show stuff. Worth every penny.

Can you imagine how lame Raw is gonna look on Monday after that? A great debut for AEW.

So far I’ve only seen the main event and the Bret Hart segment.

Just from that it seems like they’re getting a lot of things right. The production values are legit. The crowd was really into it. And getting Jim Ross is major, because he’s still great. It never made any sense whatsoever to me why Vince wanted to phase him out.

MJF with a top notch heel promo.

And Moxley showing up! Got a feeling they will get him right, like WWE never quite did.

I’m excited! Can’t wait for the weekly shows to start.

Yeah I thought it was a pretty good show. It started a little shaky, and ALex Marvez was kind of a disaster. But really, overall, could they have hoped for anything better? I doubt it

I think Raw is gonna be something else tomorrow night. WWE gave Dean such a nice send-off, especially compared to what they usually do, only for him to show up in AEW. LOL