After some thinking | Syracusefan.com

After some thinking

cuseincincy

All Conference
This game was like taking a final exam the 2nd week of class. I'm not sure if we've got a bowl game in us or not, a lot will have to go right and we will have to take advantage of almost every opportunity given to us. Facts are (OK maybe opinion) that success this season will not be determined in the Louisville, FSU or Clemson games (should probably add UND but I won't just to spite them). The next couple weeks will be great indicators of what is to come not only this season but next season also. If we're 3-1 going into ND then we're right on track. Overall I think its an 8 game season that's going to take us going 6-2 to make a bowl. I'm thinking Pitt and VaTech are the toughest of those 8. And if I'm being totally honest wins against Colgate, USF, UConn, NC State, BC and Wake shouldn't be unexpected.

This game was like taking a final exam the 2nd week of class. I'm not sure if we've got a bowl game in us or not, a lot will have to go right and we will have to take advantage of almost every opportunity given to us. Facts are (OK maybe opinion) that success this season will not be determined in the Louisville, FSU or Clemson games (should probably add UND but I won't just to spite them). The next couple weeks will be great indicators of what is to come not only this season but next season also. If we're 3-1 going into ND then we're right on track. Overall I think its an 8 game season that's going to take us going 6-2 to make a bowl. I'm thinking Pitt and VaTech are the toughest of those 8. And if I'm being totally honest wins against Colgate, USF, UConn, NC State, BC and Wake shouldn't be unexpected.

It's going to take until the USF game to wash away the Louisville pain.

Win the USF game, we all move on, shows we can learn and beat that type of team, and we just know we have to suffer against the 4 heavyweights (1 down, 3 to go). But the rest are in play.

Lose the USF game, and people that think things are ugly around here now, ain't seen nothin' yet.

I would rank the remaining games as:

Wake
NC State
UConn
BC
VA Tech
Pitt
USF
ND
Clemson
FSU

I expect to win the first 4 and lose the last 4. So to make a Bowl we need to find a way to beat one of the middle 2.

It's going to take until the USF game to wash away the Louisville pain.

Win the USF game, we all move on, shows we can learn and beat that type of team, and we just know we have to suffer against the 4 heavyweights (1 down, 3 to go). But the rest are in play.

Lose the USF game, and people that think things are ugly around here now, ain't seen nothin' yet.
at least they can score against the heavyweights. makes it easier to stomach. no more shutouts

Millhouse said:
at least they can score against the heavyweights. makes it easier to stomach. no more shutouts

And you never know when you're getting a 2nd stringer at QB unexpectedly or when a powerhouse team comes out like Clemson did last week. If we get a jump on a team and put them in a quick hole - they can get tight.

For SU to have any chance going forward the missed tackles must be addressed. the whole idea of our defense is to limit gains and keep the offensive team in front of our defense, if you then miss the tackles as we did multiple times against Louisville you defeat the concept of the defense we are in. I was disappointed that Babers made no mention of our failure to make tackles, but kept talking about we were in the proper position. Position means nothing if you can not tackle.

For SU to have any chance going forward the missed tackles must be addressed. the whole idea of our defense is to limit gains and keep the offensive team in front of our defense, if you then miss the tackles as we did multiple times against Louisville you defeat the concept of the defense we are in. I was disappointed that Babers made no mention of our failure to make tackles, but kept talking about we were in the proper position. Position means nothing if you can not tackle.
It was the first thing he mentioned in the post game presser.

SUbear said:

He said it today.

It was the first thing he mentioned in the post game presser.
If so good, but I only heard him say they were in good position. Glad to hear he thought the tackling was poor because I sure did.

Good news is that proper tackling can be fixed quickly.
In 2001-2002 season, Syracuse finished number 14 and won 10 games. They lost 59-0 to Miami during the season. They turned out o.k. I'm in no way saying Louisville is the 01 Hurricanes, and I'm not suggesting this is a 10 win team. I'm saying that a complete blow out loss doesn't really tell as much about your team as the score would indicate.
Hell, USC has talent better than ours at every position 2-3 deep and they just lost 52-6 to Bama. I think USC will be ok.

It would be nice to not be down 7-0 from an opponent's initial drive to start the game. It took Louisville 16 seconds into the game for SU to be down 7 points.

It would be nice to not be down 7-0 from an opponent's initial drive to start the game. It took Louisville 16 seconds into the game for SU to be down 7 points.
If we do get jumped on like that again, it is indicative of major issues on the defensive side of the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom