AG's Attitude | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

AG's Attitude

Griffin did seem to have a good attitude for a guy who lost his shiznit on the bench a few times this year.

To be clear, in this context “losing his shiznit” means leaving the court to take a dump instead of having a temper tantrum and arguing with coaches.

Would he have to sit a year because he already transferred? or is this a one year get out of jail free card for everyone?

For the record I'd like him back

possibly its a moment of just what some kids say...but he for sure said he knows nothing will be given to him and is ready to play whatever role there is for him on this team.
The young man hustled, made some tremendous plays. Nothing but upside if you ask me, on any given night he can take over a game, sometimes he gets lost, but I never saw him dog it or show bad attitude. Mat have lost some confidence or his legs at year end, I don't know but you can not deny the talent or that he is liked. I see him as a 3 who can give Buddy a rest at the two sometimes

Would he have to sit a year because he already transferred? or is this a one year get out of jail free card for everyone?

For the record I'd like him back
I know in the beginning of the transfer craziness, they were checking on if he would have to sit out or not cuz he used up the instant transfer already.

The young man hustled, made some tremendous plays. Nothing but upside if you ask me, on any given night he can take over a game, sometimes he gets lost, but I never saw him dog it or show bad attitude. Mat have lost some confidence or his legs at year end, I don't know but you can not deny the talent or that he is liked. I see him as a 3 who can give Buddy a rest at the two sometimes
I was actually talking about Swider...but agree with everything you wrote.

For some of the reason already mentioned here, I think AG is exactly the sort of kid that could benefit tremendously from an old school coach like JB. Have him talk to Waiters about how taking JB's criticism and teaching in stride will help him down the road. The talent is clearly there and he seems to be a good teammate.

I know in the beginning of the transfer craziness, they were checking on if he would have to sit out or not cuz he used up the instant transfer already.

i dont think you can use up the instant transfer. griffin got a waiver. i dont see why someone couldn't get a second waiver, but it would seem unusual because usually you need a good reason to get a waiver to be immediately eligible at a particular school. it would seem odd that another thing could come up that would provide you a good reason to leave the school you just came to for a good reason.

to be clear, the instant eligiblity rule has not been approved yet. ppl just assume it will be. i doubt they would carve our griffin from the eligiblity. that would be punitive and serve little purpose/cover few players.
mike's mailbag covered this topic this morning or sometime this week.

I doubt he would transfer (again), if he leaves it's to go pro.

He was playing out of position, he is more suited to be a 2 (he needs to get better at the handle), and JG3 also should have been a 2 not a 1, Marek a 4 not a 5. Has there ever been a team with three starters out of 5 playing out of position?

I doubt he would transfer (again), if he leaves it's to go pro.

He was playing out of position, he is more suited to be a 2 (he needs to get better at the handle), and JG3 also should have been a 2 not a 1, Marek a 4 not a 5. Has there ever been a team with three starters out of 5 playing out of position?
Wholeheartedly agree with this... 3 guys playing out of position... Not a recipe for success...

I mean hes just not that good. The team he left improved without him. He has to be red hot or else there are better options.

Hes suited to being the best player on a bad team.

Might have been a good 2 guard and Buddy could be better at the 3 as well but why go there?

I mean...

Is anyone HOPING he leaves?
I agree wholeheartedly with the original point of this thread. At times, I was amazed by AG's attitude, in a good way. Based on his playing style, I kinda would guess that he wouldn't be such a great listener/teammate/etc...but he really is! I guess it goes to show that the way a player plays doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their personality off the court...

But as to AG next season...its not that I hope he leaves...but I am not sure he really fits at forward and what the team needs there...so i am torn. I think he can get it together there and be a solid player at forward...but that is questionable based on the unresolved issues he has at that position, least of which being size.

I see him as a 2 guard...100% at the next level a guard not a forward...unfortunately we have 2 incumbants there that are pretty entrenched.

it's like it was with Marek...I like the player, great attitude but I really really didnt want to watch him play center last season...

I mean hes just not that good. The team he left improved without him. He has to be red hot or else there are better options.

Hes suited to being the best player on a bad team.

Might have been a good 2 guard and Buddy could be better at the 3 as well but why go there?

well he led the team in PER and BPM. I hope he stays.

Defense would definitely come along with one more season. He and Q both need to stay one year. If they do the sky is limit for this team.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. AG is instant offense, as long as he takes reasonable shots. He can be a really good defender, if/when he actually puts the effort into it. We saw glimpses of it this season.

Q's scoring, rebounding & defense is something we desperately need. If I had to pick 1 to have back, I take Q, but would love to see both of them in orange next season.

I think you could see it in his play down the stretch too. He was just looking over at the sidelines waiting to get yanked. I do think staying at Cuse is probably his best option. He isn't going to get any looks at the pro level yet and sitting out a season by transferring certainly doesn't help him.
not gonna have to sit out. Mike Waters has a good take on it but I'm too lazy to post the link

To be honest I thought for sure he was gone but the fact that he hasn’t announced anything yet makes me think he might stay. If he was going to transfer you would think he would have done it awhile ago as spots are starting to fill up making places he could go limited. He’s obviously not an NBA player yet but could always sign G-league or go overseas.

Anyone with a brain should gladly welcome him back, the season obviously didn’t end how he wanted it too but if AG tightens up his handle and works on his defense he’ll be a FORCE. Those are the 2 things sorely lacking in his game...obviously shot selection needs to be better as well. But AG is not that far off from being a good consistent player if he works in those things. If he improves his handle similar to Hughes’ then I can see him splitting time at the 2 and 3. He’s obviously a scoring threat when he’s not yanked 2 minutes into the game. A team of

JG3
Buddy
Symir
Alan Griffin
Cole Swider
Quincy
Benny
Sidibe
Edwards
Boeheim jr
Chaz Owens

Is starting to grow on me a bit. I was a bit hesitant about this team because of athleticism which we will be lacking but that’s a high IQ team. Obviously we’ll be a hell of a shooting team, pretty confident rebounding won’t be a problem with this team. What worries me in penetration on offense, defense on the top of the zone, back line I think takes a huge step forward next year. I think players will know their roles better and team chemistry should be really good as ALOT of these guys have known each other for YEARS and have played with each other for awhile even before CUSE. To me this team has the potential to be an under the radar Boeheim team that people don’t expect much from but over performs.

I, for one, hope AG stays. I'm not going to argue over his play or whether JB could have cut him more slack at the end of the year. What seemed evident to me though, was that (1) he was a good teammate and was always happy for the other players when they succeeded, even as he was buried on the bench, and (2) he seemed to take JB's yelling in stride and with respectfulness. I wouldn't blame him one bit for leaving, but I would be more than thrilled to see him come back. He clearly has talent and, with a little work on keeping his focus, he can be an even bigger asset going forward. But even if his game doesn't progress, I'd still be happy for him to be on the sideline.

If Griffin is back and Symir Torrence is our only addition at guard, I would like to see Griffin get some time at the 2, when Joe is the PG. We wouldn't be giving up anything on offense. We would have a plus athlete on top of the zone at one spot. Kind of what Woody flashed for us in the early season, when Buddy was out with COVID.

I have a question, since AG got a wavier to play immediately last year, is he still able to enter the portal, transfer then play immediately again? Since this is a new policy, I wonder if he could become immediately eligible again. If not, would he be interested in transferring again? If not, can he really be considering going pro?

To be honest I thought for sure he was gone but the fact that he hasn’t announced anything yet makes me think he might stay. If he was going to transfer you would think he would have done it awhile ago as spots are starting to fill up making places he could go limited. He’s obviously not an NBA player yet but could always sign G-league or go overseas.

Anyone with a brain should gladly welcome him back, the season obviously didn’t end how he wanted it too but if AG tightens up his handle and works on his defense he’ll be a FORCE. Those are the 2 things sorely lacking in his game...obviously shot selection needs to be better as well. But AG is not that far off from being a good consistent player if he works in those things. If he improves his handle similar to Hughes’ then I can see him splitting time at the 2 and 3. He’s obviously a scoring threat when he’s not yanked 2 minutes into the game. A team of

JG3
Buddy
Symir
Alan Griffin
Cole Swider
Quincy
Benny
Sidibe
Edwards
Boeheim jr
Chaz Owens

Is starting to grow on me a bit. I was a bit hesitant about this team because of athleticism which we will be lacking but that’s a high IQ team. Obviously we’ll be a hell of a shooting team, pretty confident rebounding won’t be a problem with this team. What worries me in penetration on offense, defense on the top of the zone, back line I think takes a huge step forward next year. I think players will know their roles better and team chemistry should be really good as ALOT of these guys have known each other for YEARS and have played with each other for awhile even before CUSE. To me this team has the potential to be an under the radar Boeheim team that people don’t expect much from but over performs.
A few things here. First, the bold. And let me say I couldn't agree more that players can improve. But when you say things like "well... his handling... and defense... and shot selection need to be better", well those are all pretty significant parts of the game. As I've said a few times, Griffin is one of the strangest players I've ever seen play at Syracuse and his close to the season was absolutely strange and disheartening. There is something to be said about consistency, and we did not have it last year.

To the last paragraph, athleticism up top is still a big time question mark. A huge one for me. Otherwise, I see our ceiling capped. I hate that I have to keep bringing this up... but if you had Kadary's name on there with those same players, a good number of my concerns next year would be mitigated (please... let's not turn this into a thread about who is gone, people overrating the ones who left, etc).

And I would 100% want Griffin back. Don't get that part wrong.

JG3
Buddy
Symir
Alan Griffin
Cole Swider
Quincy
Benny
Sidibe
Edwards
Boeheim jr
Chaz Owens

Feel a little better if we keep Frank, to add to that list. Still feel we need an athlete in the back court. But it doesn't seem JB is looking to do so, putting his eggs in the JG basket, for better or worse.

I have a question, since AG got a wavier to play immediately last year, is he still able to enter the portal, transfer then play immediately again? Since this is a new policy, I wonder if he could become immediately eligible again. If not, would he be interested in transferring again? If not, can he really be considering going pro?
I think they (the Griffin team) are still trying to get these first two questions answered.

not gonna have to sit out. Mike Waters has a good take on it but I'm too lazy to post the link
I saw Mike's response. He doesn't say that he won't have to sit out. He stated, as of now, he will have to sit out. He also thinks if he decides to transfer, his new school would fight for immediate eligibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom