Akok Akok in the portal | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Akok Akok in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of his games are on The ESPN app. I've watched 10 Wasatch games this year, if we wanna win he should be the sixth man, not a starter.
What is Wasatch?

In EYBL Bunch averaged 13ppg and shot 65%. 35% from 3 with a high game of 19. Also averaged over 4rpg with a high of 13 vs Team Melo which obviously helped the average. At peach jam he had the same averages in pool play. Then Lands left the team for some reason and the next 3 games Bunch had 19, 20 and 21 points. He’ll get a shot.
Wasn’t Team Why Not like one of the worst EYBL teams last year (record wise)? Sure he can shoot the ball but what else does he do that translates to winning games?

Who’s the go-to guy in that lineup, the guy you go to when you need a big basket?
I'd be thinking a two man approach: Judah to Jesse and back. Either of those guys can take it to the hoop for a high % shot. I'm hoping Mintz won't have a big learning curve because our potential for clutch play could increase exponentially. They could be a very Dynamic Duo.

I don't see a Moten in this class. Nobody plays like him anymore: move, move, move, in and out, all around, dare your defender to keep up with you and make shots from wherever you can get open. Nor do I see an immediate star in this class, unless it's Mintz. I think we are going to be strong in the backcourt and at center. We need productive forwards, but they don't have to be star players for us to win. And I think there are so many candidates that we can get two of them to come through for us.

I’m relying on who we have in hand to elevate our ceiling.

I think we’re basically toast in the non-Judah frosh for this year (btw, I think two will be good down the line, I think the other three that don’t pop will transfer, one or two might be functional for some minutes this year, including having to start).

I’m hoping that the following happens:
Joe at the 2 + Jesse getting incrementally better + Benny hitting a sophomore leap + Judah being ready from day one = winning formula.

We will have glaring holes until proven otherwise at backup center and the other forward, but that’s fine. I’m looking to make the tourney, not win the chip. Even if we land guys in the portal, I doubt we get game changers.

We need Jesse not to foul out and be a much bigger part of the offense, we need Benny to stop trying to be KD and start trying to be Scottie Barnes, Joe to cook at the 2 and Judah has to be what we all hope he is.

Ballard, Akok, whatever. Our offensive engine is set. Our defense can’t be any worse. JB has to make it work.

I think we’re basically toast in the non-Judah frosh for this year (btw, I think two will be good down the line, I think the other three that don’t pop will transfer, one or two might be functional for some minutes this year, including having to start).

Joe at the 2 + Jesse getting incrementally better + Benny hitting a sophomore leap + Judah being ready from day one = winning formula.

We will have glaring holes until proven otherwise at backup center and the other forward, but that’s fine. I’m looking to make the tourney, not win the chip. Even if we land guys in the portal, I doubt we get game changers.

We need Jesse not to foul out and be a much bigger part of the offense, we need Benny to stop trying to be KD and start trying to be Scottie Barnes, Joe to cook at the 2 and Judah has to be what we all hope he is.

Ballard, Akok, whatever. Our offensive engine is set. Our defense can’t be any worse. JB has to make it work.

Next year to me has a bit higher of a floor than this past season given athleticism and defense but also a hard cap on the ceiling unless a couple of these other frosh are complete surprises. Outside of that or bringing in an impact transfer at forward a 4/5 combo it's a make the tourney ceiling.

woah, woah, woah...not going for the chip??

disagree.

*I think you are underestimating Sy's potential to be big next season...

** And I think the 5 freshman have not been confirmed as toast just quite yet haha...I expect a few to surprise, at minimum...recent recruits have consistently underwhelmed...but the the entire landscape of the NCAABB is now built for freshman to thrive from day 1...if only bc thats what a lot of teams are doing...and this roster is built for that too

***and yeah the defense will be very good now that theres the dead wood cut out of it ...which will be enough to improve a lot...the offense will not be an issue imo

And maybe some Benny with Brown sliding in at the 4.
I just don’t see how that lineup will ever score unless Benny has really improved his shooting and ball handling.

And Brown is facing a huge increase in competition compared to the other guys.

Going to assume we aren’t even trying here. Oh well.
I'm holding out hope that we weren't proactive because we thought Ballard was coming and we were full up on scholarships.

Now that there's an opening, I'm hoping that both a) we're rerecruiting Frankie even if it won't make a difference and b) we're reaching out to Akok Akok and other dudes in the portal like him.

DiDn’T wAnT hIm AnYwAy!

He visited 5 schools on his 1st go around...

UConn
Syracuse
Pitt
Georgetown
Providence.

It will be interesting to see who gets repeat looks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors