Akok Akok in the portal | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Akok Akok in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches really liked him. I don't.
Not to be adversarial again but you don’t like any of the freshmen, you don’t like Akok.....do you like anyone?

Not to be adversarial again but you don’t like any of the freshmen, you don’t like Akok...do you like anyone?
Ridiculous. I love Mintz. And I think the other 5 have a chance to be good down the road. You have a tough time with reading comp. I have made this perfectly clear. I don't think any of them are ready to start next year. All I have said is that with all of the excellent forwards out there, why would we settle for a frosh that isn't ranked very high? As for Quincy, he did next to nothing at FSU where guys are given a chance to play. And for Akok, he has been out with injuries. Do we want to take that risk? Why should we when there are guys out there that can give us more without the risk? Are we finally clear on this or do I have to go slower? Oh, and I would love for us to go after John Camden. I understand why we won't but I wish we would.

Last edited:
Lots of people thought Cuse would be great with the team they had last year. Maybe if the same people think they will be bad this year they will actually be great?

I Love You Reaction GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland
High Five Bojan Bogdanovic GIF by Utah Jazz
I’d like to think I simply made the point I wanted to make, regardless of what I replied to.

My bad.

Well one reason he might start is that we need a guy to stretch the floor which he does really well.

Problem is, he doesn't do much else besides shoot. Good athlete, but floats on the perimeter, doesn't rebound, barely puts in an effort defensively.

If it comes down to a frosh, I'd be surprised if Taylor doesn't get more minutes at 3.

Problem is, he doesn't do much else besides shoot. Good athlete, but floats on the perimeter, doesn't rebound, barely puts in an effort defensively.

If it comes down to a frosh, I'd be surprised if Taylor doesn't get more minutes at 3.

More all around game with Taylor. That said( if he gets 20 to 25 mpg) more of like a 5-6 ppg, 4 rpg 2 apg guy than much else with some good games mixed in. His shot has potential but as a freshman just not a kid I see doing a lot but because of his all around game is ahead of Bunch.

More all around game with Taylor. That said( if he gets 20 to 25 mpg) more of like a 5-6 ppg, 4 rpg 2 apg guy than much else with some good games mixed in. His shot has potential but as a freshman just not a kid I see doing a lot but because of his all around game is ahead of Bunch.

I agree. It's difficult to imagine either of them being an ACC caliber starting forward next year.

Quality backup who provides depth? Sure. But it might be a little too much to expect them to come in and produce like a starter in your one.

I agree. It's difficult to imagine either of them being an ACC caliber starting forward next year.

Quality backup who provides depth? Sure. But it might be a little too much to expect them to come in and produce like a starter in your one.
I remember when Moten wasn’t expected to do much as a freshman and he did ok.

Yep. If only Symir was 6-6 not 6-3 or we played mtm...

I remember when Moten wasn’t expected to do much as a freshman and he did ok.

Lol I love when people use outliers to justify improbable things occurring.

If one of those two has 1/10 the impact (beyond statistics) Moten did his freshman year, we'll be lucky. Let alone expecting them to come close to replicating it.

This is what I was thinking. That certainly would create some mismatches as well as enhance ball handling.
Didn't I read on here from a really respected poster who broke down Copeland ms film and he pretty much said Copeland didn't give any effort on defense? I remember his tape and yeah he is tall and yeah he has that Philly flash but if he doesn't play a lick of defense, there's no way he sees the court next year. Brain locking the poster who did the break down. Colonel something...Colonel Angus maybe? (That was for the SNL Fans) :cool:

In EYBL Bunch averaged 13ppg and shot 65%. 35% from 3 with a high game of 19. Also averaged over 4rpg with a high of 13 vs Team Melo which obviously helped the average. At peach jam he had the same averages in pool play. Then Lands left the team for some reason and the next 3 games Bunch had 19, 20 and 21 points. He’ll get a shot.

Didn't I read on here from a really respected poster who broke down Copeland ms film and he pretty much said Copeland didn't give any effort on defense? I remember his tape and yeah he is tall and yeah he has that Philly flash but if he doesn't play a lick of defense, there's no way he sees the court next year. Brain locking the poster who did the break down. Colonel something...Colonel Angus maybe? (That was for the SNL Fans) :cool:

And many of us have expressed that he needs to reel in some of the over the top stuff and commit to playing D to get on the court early on. With an open spot in the lineup it's hard to exactly project accurately will step in.

If the hypothetical lineup is

Edwards
Williams
Taylor
Girard
Mintz

I strongly suspect we will see a lot of open threes and slashing drives to the basket from Taylor and Williams.

The pick and roll from Edwards and Girard is going to open up a lot for everybody else. The priority of the defense will be to stop that play.

Second defensive priority will be to stop Mintz on the drive either all the way to the basket or to pop the lethal midrange shot.

Those two plays are going to be a lot of our offense. Both are going to create for the forwards who will have to prove they can do something with the extra space. Of our incoming forwards, Taylor has the most two-dribble-and-dunk game in his tape. I also see him battling for rebounds better than Bunch. Between them, I think Taylor gets the call next year, unless the shooting disparity is large in Bunch's favor.

The lineup above will have three guys who can hit an open three and one lethal guy from three AND four guys who can dribble attack the basket to varying degrees.

It also has Edwards who might be able to post up.

Ideally we can score four ways:

1) Pick and roll with Girard and Edwards

2) Motion offense to create space for Girard to shoot or Mintz to drive and create

3) Isolation for Mintz to create for himself or others

4) Post up for Edwards (he has shown glimpses but hasn't proven anything)

If Edwards can post up AND if the pick and roll is as good as I think it is, the forwards only need to be able to score when almost completely ignored. SOMEBODY from among our SIX forwards has to be able to do that.

The biggest concern for me is if Edwards goes out for even a second we have nobody to adequately back him up.

Akok would help with that. He isn't the shot blocker Ballard is, but is much more versatile offensively.

Last edited:

I seriously can't even believe we are thinking of starting either one next year. 10 years ago this wouldn't even have been a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom