Al Golden? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Al Golden?

Agreed and when evaluating Shafer it's tough to argue there have been many "flashes" of very good things to come, not many if any games you can point to the future being bright. I don't see some nice wins like 2009 and or 2010 that show promise, that is the issue. Not saying there won't be a couple coming in but he really needs to show something next 4 weeks.

Can't think of 1 game in 3 years where everything just clicked, I just can't

The Tulane, NCState, and Maryland games in 2013 were as close as you are going to get.

I like my king for a day plan, make those kind of changes and next year could be pretty good.

The Tulane, NCState, and Maryland games in 2013 were as close as you are going to get.

I like my king for a day plan, make those kind of changes and next year could be pretty good.

Yeah I guess Tulane game was the one

I like my blow it up and start over plan. :) We hired the right guy who hired the right DC but that DC isn't a head coach. It happens but I don't see the need to continue to bang one's head into a wall. You either get it or you don't. I was able to look past last year with injuries. I just don't think the youth is as good as people think it is and you can't wait 2 more years. Nice part is Coyle has no allegiance to him and the only mistake he can make is waiting too long. I don't think you can hire much worse unless he brings GERG Back. I mean 1-2 wins is only thing worse..

I think he's done after this year but he has 4 games to prove people wrong but the vultures are swirling and he's starting to get the look of a beaten man after each game. I look for the absurd pressers to start if he loses Saturday...

Last edited:
im totally with you here. hes leap years better than anything weve seen in the Great SU QB Draught, but a couple glasses of water wont hydrate a whole town. long way to go for sure. but im hopeful.

if you think romo should do more than drive jer-uh to the game on sunday, then yes...you think hes better than i. as for flacco, im a fan of his in a way. hes like the 2010s version of the 80s Phil Simms. he just gets it done and then you look at his #s and go...wow, better than i thought.

but there is no way you can convince me that throwing constantly with a spread/west coast offense, with a 2 or 3 step drop, that even with a crappy OL...cant be the right way to go in the future.

A number of years ago I read an article that said that Pasqualoni and DeLeone (?) decided that SU would not be able to compete against the better teams on their schedule with a vanilla offense. The opposition's players were better than ours. So to offset this weakness in personnel, P & D installed a very complex offense that included lots of option football. Their faith was in the system and not the individual players.

It's not been demonstrated to me that we can recruit to and run the system you would like to see. in fact, I'm guessing that teams like FSU and Clemson are almost always going to be faster and more athletic. Maybe that's due to me watching the last 20 year's of SU QB ineptitude (with a few exceptions) It's almost as if the coaching staffs we have had decided that the QB position was Unimportant because I have seen lots of second stringers on other teams that I thought were better than our first-teamer.

So the system that would appear to work with slightly slower, slightly less athletic players is the option or a system with lots of option football in it.