Al Golden? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Al Golden?

Bayside44 said:
I thought I remembered JO stating that Golden thought he was gonna get named, but that was ages ago now. :noidea:

Yea, I get the time elapsed thing.

I love how folks want Shafer out and think Al Golden, he who got beat 58-0 by Clemson with Miami's talent, is the answer. The delusion becomes hysterical after a while.

I love how folks want Shafer out and think Al Golden, he who got beat 58-0 by Clemson with Miami's talent, is the answer. The delusion becomes hysterical after a while.

I'm not saying Al Golden is "The Guy"

What I am saying is that it's foolish to instantly discount someone that has solid recruiting skills in the areas you are interested in (Northeast & Florida) and has shown the ability to turn around a program (Temple) because he wasn't able to live up to expectations at a football factory.

By the way, how has Rich Rodriguez done since he left Michigan?

There's also a 90% chance he knew what was going on with Sandusky.

Couldn't win with Miami recruits.

I'd pass.

You are probably being generous with giving him a 90% chance of knowledge, it is probably much higher. Regardless, there are some things in life that simply are too hard to overlook, covering for Sandusky to "protect" PSU is one. As you said, I'd pass.

I wasn't comparing HCSS to Golden. I was attempting to compare him to the yet-unidentified, up and coming offensive wizard you seem to suggest was out there.

I'd rather have someone who has succeeded in a similar situation and who had then taken a different job, even if he was unsuccessful at it. I put more weight on his success than on the possible wishful thinking about an unproven guy.

And this business about offense, offense, offense. I'm starting to think a sizeable portion of the SU fan base suffers from ADHD and can't watch the running game.

I actually read a post from somebody a few days ago comparing the SU passing game to the passing game he watches on Sundays.

The yet-identified up and coming offensive wizard would ideally be someone serving in a head coaching capacity today. Achieving the same type of results that Golden did at Temple. They're out there, Go can give you the list.

Or we could play it safe and stick with the guy who might be staring down the barrel of another 3 win season and was hired without any type of thorough head coach search process whatsoever. He just happened to be standing in the room with the 14 year old offensive coordinator when we were handing out head coaching positions.

well said, I would quit if Edsall coached here, biggest douche in college football. Can't stand the guy
randy-edsall_400x400.jpg

He just happened to be standing in the room with the 14 year old offensive coordinator when we were handing out head coaching positions.

This is killing me.

The yet-identified up and coming offensive wizard would ideally be someone serving in a head coaching capacity today. Achieving the same type of results that Golden did at Temple. They're out there, Go can give you the list.

Or we could play it safe and stick with the guy who might be staring down the barrel of another 3 win season and was hired without any type of thorough head coach search process whatsoever. He just happened to be standing in the room with the 14 year old offensive coordinator when we were handing out head coaching positions.

This isn't really fair. The guy has been a highly successful DC at this level. The decision to promote from within wasn't unreasonable.

This isn't really fair. The guy has been a highly successful DC at this level. The decision to promote from within wasn't unreasonable.

Gotta agree with you on this. At the time, all talk was centered around not losing momentum from the Pinstripe bowl win. I think HCSS was a near universal lock to get the job.

Of course it wasn't unreasonable, and yes I was exaggerating it a bit. But that wasn't really my point either.

Townie's point (as I read it) was that hiring a head coach at this level is hard, especially for a school like SU. So we should be thorough and make sure we know what we're doing before we go down that path.

We didn't really do that with the Shafer hire, so it shouldn't apply to the decision of whether or not to replace him. In fact, I'd argue that it supports firing him. Barring a major turnaround in the last 4 games, the results aren't there, so we need a bigger better search for the next guy. The risk is that we become a less than 3 win team. If one could call that a risk.

I can't believe the notion of Al Golden as the answer to our problems has created 4 pages of dialogue.

I'd sign up for Golden at this point. Imagine there is 0 chance that Fuente, Herman or even Rhule would be possible as they are likely shooting higher. Who knows even about a guy like Scott Frost who has never done a single thing without Mariota.

Of course it wasn't unreasonable, and yes I was exaggerating it a bit. But that wasn't really my point either.

Townie's point (as I read it) was that hiring a head coach at this level is hard, especially for a school like SU. So we should be thorough and make sure we know what we're doing before we go down that path.

We didn't really do that with the Shafer hire, so it shouldn't apply to the decision of whether or not to replace him. In fact, I'd argue that it supports firing him. Barring a major turnaround in the last 4 games, the results aren't there, so we need a bigger better search for the next guy. The risk is that we become a less than 3 win team. If one could call that a risk.

It's as hard as you make it.

It was hard coming in 2004 because they rushed it and didn't have a clue what to do.

It was hard in 2008 because the program was a low resource across the board disaster.

The situation now isn't close to either of those.

1. The AD has been in the job for a couple of months.
2. This isn't a low resource across the board disaster.

In the last 6 years this program has a top 10 defense (top 40 5 of 7 years) and a top 20 offense with a handful of NFL level players on both sides.

This job is not impossible.

Considering how late Marrone bailed and the desire to keep continuity, I don't think Gross hiring HCSS quickly was unreasonable at all. I totally agree as far as Coyle hiring the next guy. He knows it, we all know it. He has to get it right. Or it's his a** and we have to keep watching a mediocre to bad product. If he can bring in "his guy" after this season, he will. If he feels as if he is settling on guy number 5 or 6, he will give HCSS another year.

I’m starting to wonder if any Northeastern based school can compete regardless of who the coach is.

The southern schools and a few of the huge Midwestern ones seem to be taking over the sport. And the rosters of many of the NE schools are loaded with players from Florida and other Southern states.

I just looked at the USA Today power rankings:

37 – PSU

39 – Pitt

40 – Temple

75 – BC

80 – MD

82 – SU

89 – Rutgers

93 – UConn

105 Buffalo

And the Pennsylvania schools are different because they sit in a state with a lot of football talent

I've been watching SU football for a long time and I can't remember the HC job ever being that attractive.

And if I'm a hot coach, I might just look at history and how my predecessors have done:

Maloney - A Michigan AC. Was here a long time, but was fired at the point he had things going on the right direction and a new facility was being built.
Macpherson - An experienced HC at a lower level. A good hire, but certainly not a young, hot commodity.
Pasqualoni - Inherited the HC job from Mac. Was fired for performing less well than Mac did (including an embarrassing loss to Rutgers)
GRob- A Pro Asst coach with many recommendations who completely failed and was fired
Marrone - Alum and ex-Pro coach who got a better offer and bolted.
HCSS - Another ez hire from the staff. Sems to be having trouble having the team find its feet.

So we have had six coaches since Ole Ben and only one of them actually panned out. And the new Carrier Dome had a lot to do with that.

Townie72 said:
I've been watching SU football for a long time and I can't remember the HC job ever being that attractive.

And if I'm a hot coach, I might just look at history and how my predecessors have done:

Maloney - A Michigan AC. Was here a long time, but was fired at the point he had things going on the right direction and a new facility was being built.
Macpherson - An experienced HC at a lower level. A good hire, but certainly not a young, hot commodity.
Pasqualoni - Inherited the HC job from Mac. Was fired for performing less well than Mac did (including an embarrassing loss to Rutgers)
GRob- A Pro Asst coach with many recommendations who completely failed and was fired
HCSS - Another ez hire from the staff. Sems to be having trouble having the team find its feet.

So we have had six coaches since Ole Ben and only one of them actually panned out. And the new Carrier Dome had a lot to do with that.

A $2.5m to 3m yearly salary and another $2-3m for assistants will open doors.

Does any other fan base have such a strange inferiority and superiority complex? Rutgers and UConn are the two programs that genuinely hate us and a huge portion of our fan base doesn't deem them to be worthy rivals...because we were good 20 years ago.

Another significant portion thinks we can't do better than Scott Shafer. Imagine they're in the same group that thought we were going to get some Bucknell or small time AD to replace Gross. I seriously Coyle would have come here if he didn't think we had enough financial resources and desire to compete.

Good thing we have a new and improved Dome coming soon (or so we hear).

But I do think, if done right, that will help.

I also think we should be in a better position to pay than we ever have been. This will be the first coach we hire with ACC $ flowing in (Shafer was hired before we formally joined the league).

The candidate will have to believe that whatever he brings to the table will bring the fans. Because I don't know how to answer that question other than say yeah, we're interviewing you because no one is at the games, you can change all that quickly in this town. (you say it even if you don't believe it).

Only one panned out? That's crazy talk

Are you saying that Pasqualoni and Marrone didn't pan out? Because that seems false, to me.

Putting aside the circumstances of his firing, P had a very strong run from 1991-1998, and a solid 2001 season. I'd say he panned out. Marrone got a dead program to two bowls. He left the job unfinished, but he did a good job when he was here. That's panning out in my book.

Maybe you meant something different.

He's been a HC for 10 years. He's a career .500 guy. He's been to 3 bowl games, won none. He spent 5 years at Miami and basically did nothing.

Him and Randy Shannon have basically identical resumes there, would you hire Randy Shannon?

Don Ho is better than both these guys. His records stand on their own.

It's as hard as you make it.

It was hard coming in 2004 because they rushed it and didn't have a clue what to do.

It was hard in 2008 because the program was a low resource across the board disaster.

The situation now isn't close to either of those.

1. The AD has been in the job for a couple of months.
2. This isn't a low resource across the board disaster.

In the last 6 years this program has a top 10 defense (top 40 5 of 7 years) and a top 20 offense with a handful of NFL level players on both sides.

This job is not impossible.

I don't think it's a hard sell.

New Dome Reno, ACC, IPF, a lot of young players getting run this year, which you can view on film and make your own assessment. Work for grown ups. You just have to believe that your system and results will bring the fans back. If you do, the place is a magnificent home field advantage.

There was a time I worried about who would want to coach here. I don't worry about that anymore.

I'd sign up for Golden at this point. Imagine there is 0 chance that Fuente, Herman or even Rhule would be possible as they are likely shooting higher. Who knows even about a guy like Scott Frost who has never done a single thing without Mariota.
Lock up the coach from Toledo he is the real deal

Don Ho is better than both these guys. His records stand on their own.
you get a like because im not sure Don Ho has ever been mentioned on here.

we all should be slashed 15 likes for allowing that to happen for so long.