Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

This is an insanely high percentage of players being positive.
1. test results are wrong
2. Asymptotic without issues (then let’s get on with our lives)
3. A total shutdown of college and pro sports (not to mention schools) because this is very widespread and legislators believe we need a cure or Vaccine to continue normal life.
4. Anyone’s guess. Let’s pick the blue box.
#1... there are tests with high specificty.. which ones were administered?

I'd like to focus on #2... Depending on #1... It's not possible to test 330 million.. NCAA will be testing 13,000 plus athletes.(essentially the largest random test we've done) I f there aren't 100 universities studying this? That's a shame. Assuming test accuracy, the #'s coming in are indicating a VERY high asymptomatic, in this age group.

I'll hesitate to pass judgement, but assuming testing accuracy? Mathmatically, the #'s may be compelling and positive for all of us... they may be actually proving your #3 may not be necessary... it may just be the study we've been waiting for.

Please provide a link to these tests.
This is an underrated and important point.

I know Dartmouth developed a 99% plus test, and can do about 1000 a day... other universities may have, as well...

Arizona, Boston, have been running sewage tests. It's my understanding that some schools will be running constant tests- on waste, to catch outbreaks before they spread. First on the athletes. That's kinda cool... ( snorts , proudly pushes up nerd glasses...lol)

This is going to be an issue for football to overcome.

If there is one positive test will they cancel the game? Or isolate the person? Football has 100 players on the roster, as well as a ton of staff. You are dealing with about 10% of that with basketball.

I feel like if the policy is zero tolerance for a positive test it is going to be tough

Is there a firm policy in place yet?

Can you verify your data? (I'm not trying to be flippant) I know test specificity is at 99.8% for 3 antibody tests... do you know the specificity for the tests run? It's kind of an important detail... ;-) some of that old info...is old... some of these are spit tests, and I forget that specificity...its not a minor detail.
Not properly armed with data, but I believe it has been asserted that the rapid tests, the ones like the famous ID NOW Abbot test is 75-80% accurate. It is a molecular amplification test. It cannot distinguish between “had” and “has” the virus. People are anxious for these tests because they are faster (30 minutes vs 24 hours) and because many larger labs with better testing are backed up. Also, those more robust tests are not easily accessible to underserved communities (like the homeless, the driverless, or the elderly or uninsured who are afraid to go to the hospital or ride mass transit). It’s a tough nut to crack.

Last edited:

Can you verify your data? (I'm not trying to be flippant) I know test specificity is at 99.8% for 3 antibody tests... do you know the specificity for the tests run? It's kind of an important detail... ;-) some of that old info...is old... some of these are spit tests, and I forget that specificity...its not a minor detail.
I can not be more specific without knowing the exact testing method used to detect Covid19 virus, my point was that none of those methods are 100 percent not even close. Antibody tests because they use blood serum are much more reliable, less room for error in collection and processing, however still not 100 percent.
Think of tests for Covid19 virus as screening tests, useful but far from perfect.
Therefore, as I said in your hypothetical, do not attend the party without PPE if like me you are at high risk due to age or other conditions from Covid19.
My opinion, anybody not at high risk should probably take their chances, if exposed and develop antibodies contributes to herd immunity.
Hopefully the vaccines under developement will be out ASAP, and we can then all go about our normal business.

I can not be more specific without knowing the exact testing method used to detect Covid19 virus, my point was that none of those methods are 100 percent not even close. Antibody tests because they use blood serum are much more reliable, less room for error in collection and processing, however still not 100 percent.
Think of tests for Covid19 virus as screening tests, useful but far from perfect.
Therefore, as I said in your hypothetical, do not attend the party without PPE if like me you are at high risk due to age or other conditions from Covid19.
My opinion, anybody not at high risk should probably take their chances, if exposed and develop antibodies contributes to herd immunity.
Hopefully the vaccines under developement will be out ASAP, and we can then all go about our normal business.
With tests coming back after 48 hours, I think we can be sure it's not the quick test. Swab or saliva, I presume. Swab has some inherent issues on where the tester gets the swab...(false negative) Saliva "may" be more reliable.(Corrections welcome- shipping/how its administered should be less of an issue with supervision and direct lab affiliations)

With the last 2 tests, if you get a positive? You can be pretty sure its positive. (my understanding)... While it doesn't answer false negatives... The # of players returning positive could shape testing going forward.

Seems like testing pre-game/post game might be in order. (to help eliminate false negatives)

Please dont hate me... Scientifically, it could be a mathematical good thing with so many returning positive. It seems about 5% positive, which would triple the # of cases nationwide(lower mortality) ALL asymptomatic, which could yield a MUCH higher immunity for the age group. PLEASE Tell me numerous universities are studying this. It's the ONLY wide scale "study" I know...$$$ I hate assumptions, and there is some very important info here...

(counters welcome, as the lines I'm drawing "may" pass muster on the surface.(need the real data) I'm being hopeful. tell me what I'm missing.)

Last edited:
This is going to be an issue for football to overcome.

If there is one positive test will they cancel the game? Or isolate the person? Football has 100 players on the roster, as well as a ton of staff. You are dealing with about 10% of that with basketball.

I feel like if the policy is zero tolerance for a positive test it is going to be tough

Is there a firm policy in place yet?

Sadly I feel that some of colleges will be tempted to under report the positive test results.

i guess the same question is how are the MMA guys managing to keep it going with testing? is fball any more in your face than that?

you do the saliva test in a bucket 10-20 guys.. you do it 3 times if you want.. how accurate is that test when its done 3 times on the same samples?

Still thinking though the tests get better by august.

i guess the same question is how are the MMA guys managing to keep it going with testing? is fball any more in your face than that?

you do the saliva test in a bucket 10-20 guys.. you do it 3 times if you want.. how accurate is that test when its done 3 times on the same samples?

Still thinking though the tests get better by august.
They are tested when they arrive in town on Tuesday before the fight. A failure and you are pulled. UFC also took over an entire hotel and once a fighter or his corner man passes the test, they are let in the hotel and they aren't allowed to leave their hotel from Tuesday on and must self isolate at the hotel and not "mingle" within the hotel with others within the hotel even though all parties in the hotel have passed a COVID and antibody test. Each fighter is given a "workout room" inside of the hotel they can use all week. And after Tuesday's test they are doing screenings throughout the week to make sure by Saturday nothing has changed.

I was thinking about this problem with college football. What if the star QB tests positive the week into the game?

If this season is played, it could be crazy because you never know what players are going to be available.

I was thinking about this problem with college football. What if the star QB tests positive the week into the game?

If this season is played, it could be crazy because you never know what players are going to be available.
Then he is out 2 weeks and 2 games (assuming a BYE week isn't one of the 2 weeks they would have to miss)

Then he is out 2 weeks and 2 games (assuming a BYE week isn't one of the 2 weeks they would have to miss)
Yeah, in the literal sense you nailed it. What I'm also thinking though is you watch film with other qbs on the team, train etc. Now all your qbs have it. Will teams keep players away from other players strategically?

Yeah, in the literal sense you nailed it. What I'm also thinking though is you watch film with other qbs on the team, train etc. Now all your qbs have it. Will teams keep players away from other players strategically?

It’s NOT *that* contagious.

If it was, 100% of the people on those cruise ships would have gotten it.
Yet, they didn’t.

IF you’ve got QB’s sitting in close proximity watching film, then they need to be wearing masks.

If you’re lifting weights together, then wipe down the bar between lifters (should be doing that anyway in a non-Covid world) and get yer SWOLE on!

Probably a good idea to hold off on the post lift high fives and bro hugs for now tho.

Infect TD now and closely monitor his recovery. I’m kidding, but I guarantee others have considered it.

I think we need to be able to have a much more accurate look at the mortality of this virus. All this testing of individuals who are non -symptomatic paints a picture of a much higher rate of actually infected and those with antibodies. If we don't have this then infection rate and preventing spread is likely going to lead down a road of another and potentially longer shutdown.

I saw one report that suggested they keep position groups separate.

example. 1 lineman tests positive. That entire line is Quarantined. Next Line group up.

Sounds nice on the surface, but those players are breathing in the defenses/offenses faces... So now what? RB, QB, TE will be in close proximity... What about a Corner? Do the WR's get quarantined? What if scout team is positive? It all seems... difficult.

so itz 5 of 50? does that also include any who already had it and recovered?

some teams might be starting with 20-30% or more