Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

Every group falls to the lowest denominator. To lump them all in with "not concerned with anyone else's health, either. " is a wide sweeping brush, that doesn't reflect the vast majority. (Players anyway, that are beat over the head daily, by other players, to maintain protocols)
No different than seeing a handful of 60 year olds not wearing masks, and saying all 60 year olds dont care about anyone else's health, either.

that age group is currently the most dangerous to others. And my initial response was to a post that said they weren’t concerned with their own health. If they aren’t then they aren’t concerned with others either. You can’t have one without the other.

that age group is currently the most dangerous to others. And my initial response was to a post that said they weren’t concerned with their own health. If they aren’t then they aren’t concerned with others either. You can’t have one without the other.
So what are you proposing? Canceling the 2020-21 academic year? Stopping life until we get a vaccine that could never arrive? It’s scary for a lot of people, I get that, and there’s a risk. But there’s a risk I could get into a car accident tomorrow too. I take risks getting off my couch. Wear a mask. Be smart around at-risk people. Don’t be stupid. Also, upticks in positive tests don’t equate to deaths. It equates to illness. I’m interested to see what the numbers say in a month as it relates to deaths.

I went to turning stone the day after they reopened (I’m 22 and went with my 74 year old father) and the place was packed with people over 60. Especially the smoking section in which you don’t have to wear a mask. When I was playing 3 card an older guy next to me sat down with his portable oxygen tank. You can’t make it up lol

People my age definitely like to go out to eat and party but let’s not pretend older generations haven’t jumped on this renewed chance for freedom.

A response that guessed they weren't concerned about their own health. They know they won't die. If they all get sick, not only could they kill their coaches/family, but they also don't get to play football. Something they've worked their whole lives for. Did the rest of those kids you see train 6 days a week since middle school?

You have no idea what the players are doing, and basing it on the foolishness of a few at 'bama and Auburn. Yeah. Mistakes of youth, that they can all learn from. They may just be more diligent than most of the folks you know. They might even be down each others throats daily to follow protocol.

If you want to judge a book without reading it? That's up to you.

Last edited:

Interesting article. Some researchers are starting to look at the plans universities have proposed to return to campus. A couple of interesting scenarios from the article:
  • "In the absence of any intervention at all, the model suggests that all susceptible community members would acquire COVID-19 by the end of the semester, with peak infection rates between 20 and 40 days into the semester, even if the semester begins with no infections."
  • "A standard intervention, consisting of quarantine, contact tracing, universal mask wearing, daily testing of 3 percent of the university population and large classes (30 or more students) moved online, suggests a slightly rosier picture, with infections kept below 66 people in 95 percent of simulations."
In the optimal setting, the researchers concluded that it would be extremely important from students to refrain from all contact with one another outside of academic and residential settings (presuming the residential setting exposes only the student's one roommate).

that paper on the college interaction ignores alot of things.. Just the false positive testing thing alone, assumes that someone wont get a 2nd test and will stay in quarantine. It bases class size on number of kids without any real idea on size of the room.

If you just go by whats happening in NY now, with things opening up, when people play by the rules, the spread is very low.. If you dont play by the rules on the campus you wont be on the campus, unlike the stores that dont enforce and or cant enforce the guidelines.

Much bigger deal on what grade schools are gonna be able to do which has issues well beyond colleges.

that paper on the college interaction ignores alot of things.. Just the false positive testing thing alone, assumes that someone wont get a 2nd test and will stay in quarantine. It bases class size on number of kids without any real idea on size of the room.

If you just go by whats happening in NY now, with things opening up, when people play by the rules, the spread is very low.. If you dont play by the rules on the campus you wont be on the campus, unlike the stores that dont enforce and or cant enforce the guidelines.

Much bigger deal on what grade schools are gonna be able to do which has issues well beyond colleges.
I am a little hesitant to completely put New York on a pedestal just yet. What the State has done SO FAR is really terrific, but Upstate never really got hit, so while the continued great data here is encouraging, we have yet to face the true test ----- NYC reopening. Many of the same factors that made NYC the epicenter (density probably first and foremost) are still there. If NYC gets through its Phase 3 without any major upticks, then I say let's celebrate like the Yanks just won the WS (absent the crowded parades of course).

yeah NYC is a different animal. The big cities have to try much harder to do well and that doesnt seem to be the plan for most of them.

I don’t necessarily disagree. I’m just saying that however bad we all want college sports in the fall the actual players want them 100x more. If they’re allowed to play a large majority of them are going to want to do so.
You know who I really feel sorry for?

The little kids who play Little League. All this pandemic will do is further drive kids indoors to play video games.

I am a little hesitant to completely put New York on a pedestal just yet. What the State has done SO FAR is really terrific, but Upstate never really got hit, so while the continued great data here is encouraging, we have yet to face the true test ----- NYC reopening. Many of the same factors that made NYC the epicenter (density probably first and foremost) are still there. If NYC gets through its Phase 3 without any major upticks, then I say let's celebrate like the Yanks just won the WS (absent the crowded parades of course).
NY and a few other state's nursing home policy was really bad. NY had 1000s of extra deaths due to mishandling of Covid-19 positive patients.

NY did some things really well and other things really bad. However, this was uncharted territory for many government agencies and we can Monday Morning QB all levels of government and health care.

I am surprised no one is talking about the announcement the Patriot League made yesterday and its possible impact on the Syracuse season.

I know Herman Frazier talked about backup plans in case some schools on the schedule could not play. Not sure what could be done at this late date in the event Colgate is not able to play. It sure sounds like the game is not going to be played. At least not on September 19th.

Could the schools agree to push it to the week after the regular season ends? The FCS playoffs start on November 28th. The earliest SU could play is December 5th. Would Colgate agree to a move conditional on them not having to play a playoff game on 12/5?

My guess is yes. They need the cash. But if crowds aren't allowed, or are severely limited, would SU's guarantee decrease?

I don't think there is any way the game could be moved to late August. At least not if it was to be played in the Dome. We will be lucky if the Dome is ready by September 19th.

I don't think there is any way the game could be moved to late August. At least not if it was to be played in the Dome. We will be lucky if the Dome is ready by September 19th.

If Colgate needs the NCAA mandatory 6 week prep, and if they don't return to campus until August, they will not be able to play any games in August. Not in Syracuse. Not in Hamilton. Not anywhere.

I am surprised no one is talking about the announcement the Patriot League made yesterday and its possible impact on the Syracuse season.

I know Herman Frazier talked about backup plans in case some schools on the schedule could not play. Not sure what could be done at this late date in the event Colgate is not able to play. It sure sounds like the game is not going to be played. At least not on September 19th.

Could the schools agree to push it to the week after the regular season ends? The FCS playoffs start on November 28th. The earliest SU could play is December 5th. Would Colgate agree to a move conditional on them not having to play a playoff game on 12/5?

My guess is yes. They need the cash. But if crowds aren't allowed, or are severely limited, would SU's guarantee decrease?

BAD BAD BAD :-(

Patriot league wont be flying or staying in hotels. The only saving grace here, might be that the proximity gives them the closest possible pay day for their program. Really hope this happens.

If Colgate needs the NCAA mandatory 6 week prep, and if they don't return to campus until August, they will not be able to play any games in August. Not in Syracuse. Not in Hamilton. Not anywhere.
If they move up the start of the fall semester two weeks like other schools have some students would be arriving six weeks before our scheduled game with them. Not sure if that would save it but there’s still hope haha

:-( :-( :-(
Screenshot_20200623-112232_Chrome.jpg

IF they are bringing students back, as normal. It seems kind of dumb to not bring back a small group first, as normal. The only thought I can muster, is that they expect the entirety of football to be shut down by the time they are ready, and get to say, "We're smarter than you." At which point most campuses will be dismissed.

I’m anticipating a season with conference games only.

IF they are bringing students back, as normal. It seems kind of dumb to not bring back a small group first, as normal. The only thought I can muster, is that they expect the entirety of football to be shut down by the time they are ready, and get to say, "We're smarter than you." At which point most campuses will be dismissed.

I know for a fact that the presidents/provosts of the largest schools in upsate NY are not surprisingly in close contact with one another regarding plans for the fall. I'd be pretty surprised if any schools signficantly deviate from the courses of action that all of the schools take. Even the optics on this alone could be detrimental. For example, school A stays online while schools B, C, D are in person - think what people will say about the quality of education of school A. Conversely, if schools B, C, D are online and school A is in person and an outbreak hits school A, what will the headlines say?

Frankly, schools are in a no win situation. Many students want to come back, however many students (and their parents) don't want the "stationary cruise ships" back less than 60 days from now. I know that my school is taking no less than 50 pretty significant steps for the fall (installation of hospital grade ventilation systems in all buildings, new door handles, etc...) and I still see it as just being a matter of time before we see a pretty sizable outbreak.

FWIW, many of my friends who are professors at schools in the EU say that their students LOVE online vs in person. There are innumerable plausible justifications for this, but I find it to be interesting.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that the presidents/provosts of the largest schools in upsate NY are not surprisingly in close contact with one another regarding plans for the fall. I'd be pretty surprised if any schools signficantly deviate from the courses of action that all of the schools take. Even the optics on this alone could be detrimental. For example, school A stays online while schools B, C, D are in person - think what people will say about the quality of education of school A. Conversely, if schools B, C, D are online and school A is in person and an outbreak hits school A, what will the headlines say?

Frankly, schools are in a no win situation. Many students want to come back, however many students (and their parents) don't want the "stationary cruise ships" back less than 60 days from now. I know that my school is taking no less than 50 pretty significant steps for the fall (installation of hospital grade ventilation systems in all buildings, new door handles, etc...) and I still see it as just being a matter of time before we see a pretty sizable outbreak.

FWIW, many of my friends who are professors at schools in the EU say that their students LOVE online vs in person. There are innumerable plausible justifications for this, but I find it to be interesting.

Many of your friends who are professors at schools are seeing their salaries paid based on room & board costs. If those don't happen, all hell is going to break loose. The students love online because they can cheat and get good grades, they don't have to interact in person and they can sit where they're comfortable.

It will be far different at many colleges this year if its online again. I agree kids liked the lack of control of their day and the cheating was rampant..

But in our talks this will be harder to accomplish going forward many schools are requiring video during tests, interaction during lectures and tests will designed to handle the cheating was as before they were just last minute created to handle the crisis.

There is also a huge chunk of kids who miss the social interaction side of the college life.

It will be far different at many colleges this year if its online again. I agree kids liked the lack of control of their day and the cheating was rampant..

But in our talks this will be harder to accomplish going forward many schools are requiring video during tests, interaction during lectures and tests will designed to handle the cheating was as before they were just last minute created to handle the crisis.

There is also a huge chunk of kids who miss the social interaction side of the college life.

Best case scenario, social interactions are going to be likely very much inhibited. This goes from living accommodations, to the fact that 1:1 meetings between faculty and students are not going to be allowed under any circumstances.

On a side note, but I think that tests are stupid and I don't give them. I haven't given a test in years.