Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

tests have some value depending on the course and what needs to be obsorbed. But I agree there are other ways to see if the kids have learned.. I dont know as face to face needs to fully happen, but I know a bunch of Profs who just phased out last semester or punted on the job

WOW.

Is it possible that WAY WAY WAY more folks have it than the official #? 1.2M active cases is 0.3%. That would be 1 positive player, per FOUR football teams. Instead, we're getting 4 to 90 times that percentage . (available #'s) That's INSANE. Mathematically the official infected #'s are becoming a statistical impossibility. (no politics, please. The Math.)
Yes, there are millions that have had it already that were asymptomatic.

There were random antibody tests done at supermarkets by the state of NY all across the state in strategic locations.

Those results were revealed in one of governor Cuomos press conferences. They were pretty widely reported and showed that on average on downstate NY and NYC that 22% of residents had already had the virus, resolved and showed antibodies. Using that percentage of the NY metro area through Westchester, that would be roughly 1.9 million people in that area alone. The average number in all of upstate was around 7 or 8% if I remember correctly.

This virus isnt stopping and anyone thinking that wearing masks and staying indoors is kidding themselves.

Some other numbers were that 66% of all new positive tests in NY State were from people that were quarantining themselves with their families. Experts were shocked but its fact per testing and questioning.

Also was reported recently that even with the increasing number of positives nationwide that hospitalizations and deaths are still dropping dramatically. Some experts say it is because the new cases are primarily in young people who are better able to handle the virus.

Those are all facts folks.

The genie is out of the bottle and there is no getting it back in there without a vaccine.

Last edited:
Yes, there are millions that have had it already that were asymptomatic.

There were random antibody tests done at supermarkets by the state of NY all across the state in strategic locations.

Those results were revealed in one of governor Cuomos press conferences. They were pretty widely reported and showed that on average on downstate NY and NYC that 22% of residents had already had the virus, resolved and showed antibodies. Using that percentage of the NY metro area through Westchester, that would be roughly 1.9 million people in that area alone. The average number in all of upstate was around 7 or 8% if I remember correctly.

This virus isnt stopping and anyone thinking that wearing masks and staying indoors is kidding themselves.

Some other numbers were that 66% of all new positive tests in NY State were from people that were quarantining themselves with their families. Experts were shocked but its fact per testing and questioning.

Also was reported recently that even with the increasing number of positives nationwide that hospitalizations and deaths are still dropping dramatically. Some experts say it is because the new cases are primarily in young people who are better able to handle the virus.

Those are all facts folks.

The genie is out of the bottle and there is no getting it back in there without a vaccine.
You've interlaced facts and opinions. That is a fact.
Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people post opinions and then state, "that is a fact".

seems like a word or two is missing here?

Best case scenario, social interactions are going to be likely very much inhibited. This goes from living accommodations, to the fact that 1:1 meetings between faculty and students are not going to be allowed under any circumstances.

On a side note, but I think that tests are stupid and I don't give them. I haven't given a test in years.
If you teach a science, tests are imperative.

I mean nothing good is coming from announcing all these positive asymptomatic tests is healthy young people. It’s just adding to the fear.

But remember every sport has just gotten its act together to restart so literally every NCAA and major pro athlete will be tested for covid this week. Of course a few will have it.

If you play D1 hoops or football or NBA NFL MLB NHL you’ve either gotten or will soon get a test in the next few days.

You've interlaced facts and opinions. That is a fact.
Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people post opinions and then state, "that is a fact".
What exactly was my opinion that was interlaced with facts ?

seems like a word or two is missing here?
You are correct.

Should be "This virus isn't stopping and anyone thinking that wearing masks and staying indoors is going to stop it is kidding themselves."

You are correct.

Should be "This virus isn't stopping and anyone thinking that wearing masks and staying indoors is going to stop it is kidding themselves."

correct. There is nothing we can do to “stop” it, but there are things we can do to slow it down and not infect as many people. We all know what those things are.

I mean nothing good is coming from announcing all these positive asymptomatic tests is healthy young people. It’s just adding to the fear.

But remember every sport has just gotten its act together to restart so literally every NCAA and major pro athlete will be tested for covid this week. Of course a few will have it.

If you play D1 hoops or football or NBA NFL MLB NHL you’ve either gotten or will soon get a test in the next few days.

The good news in that those people arent being hospitalized or dying and also is that the anticipated or assumed death rate among the average person in the US is only about 4X the flu and not 4-6% as originally stated. That is the "benefit" of having accurate testing and more tests as well as more people getting tested.

correct. There is nothing we can do to “stop” it, but there are things we can do to slow it down and not infect as many people. We all know what those things are.

Here is an actual personal opinion:
I think in NY we have slowed it down in the sense that we didn't overwhelm the hospitals and care facilities. I think that those antibody tests showed a lot when they revealed that 22% of downstaters already had the virus. Couldn't you attribute some of the "slowdown" to the fact that over 1/5 of the population downstate already had it?

Also, considering that the percentages showed that 22% already had the virus antibodies...how is that a slowdown? It revealed that the virus is way more infectious but far less deadly than thought, which is a good thing. Much more along the lines of the flu.

However, that was one of the facts that I posted from our own Governor Cuomo. Antibody testing in NY State showed that more positive tests were coming from those that thought they were doing all the right things to protect themselves (66% of all new cases).

All of it is pretty interesting and how some folks interpret information that they receive is also pretty interesting.

Here is an actual personal opinion:
I think in NY we have slowed it down in the sense that we didn't overwhelm the hospitals and care facilities. I think that those antibody tests showed a lot when they revealed that 22% of downstaters already had the virus. Couldn't you attribute some of the "slowdown" to the fact that over 1/5 of the population downstate already had it?

Also, considering that the percentages showed that 22% already had the virus antibodies...how is that a slowdown? It revealed that the virus is way more infectious but far less deadly than thought, which is a good thing. Much more along the lines of the flu.

However, that was one of the facts that I posted from our own Governor Cuomo. Antibody testing in NY State showed that more positive tests were coming from those that thought they were doing all the right things to protect themselves (66% of all new cases).

All of it is pretty interesting and how some folks interpret information that they receive is also pretty interesting.

I also believe total deaths are grossly understated. Both the data and studies in specific states confirm that.

In a planning meeting now. FWIW, it was stated by an MD that testing is still A) Highly inaccurate B) Can be even more inaccurate when administered to younger demographics (both false positives and false negatives).

For the vast majority of instituions for a variety of reasons, mass testing isn't a viable option. Things like waste water testing is actually more reliable/doable for universities.

Onondaga County’s latest numbers show a new category of infections: unknown origin.
Not household or nursing home contacts. Not community spread. Not recent travel outside the county.

my thoughts were two possibilities: prisons Or Syracuse University Athletes.

The good news in that those people arent being hospitalized or dying and also is that the anticipated or assumed death rate among the average person in the US is only about 4X the flu and not 4-6% as originally stated. That is the "benefit" of having accurate testing and more tests as well as more people getting tested.

I guess. But this is specifically the healthiest young people on the planet off to play sports in a bubble. They aren’t visiting grandparents anytime soon. Sure test them but I am not sure we need ESPN putting front page announcements for every asymptomatic test which there are only a dozen or so if a day across all college and pro teams. It seems like the Boston Globe writing an article about my trip to Dunkin’ Donuts this AM.

But the media has been awful in all regards and from all sides and on all topics since March so it is what it is.

Onondaga County’s latest numbers show a new category of infections: unknown origin.
Not household or nursing home contacts. Not community spread. Not recent travel outside the county.

With all the fear and guilt tripping going around this is clearly folks zipping their lips on what they got up to prior to getting covid.

We haven’t been microchipped yet so all you got for transmission is what someone will admit.

Don’t worry tho next pandemic or even by the second or third wave we’ll all have microchips to keep people at home.

Our players have only been back for a week or so and they're already in jail? :D

i believe there are a lot of scientists who are saying we actually don't know what the antibodies means.
does it mean that many people were exposed?
is the antibody test picking up cross-reactive antibodies from the coronavirus family (e.g. coronavirus accounts for 30% of the common cold)?
how long are people immune to covid if you have antibodies? 1 yr, 2 yrs, a lifetime?
do the varying degrees of antibody level in people have an impact to immunity?