Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

What this tells me is roughly 20-25% of the worlds population has had the virus.

What this tells me is roughly 20-25% of the worlds population has had the virus.
Schools are reporting 1-23. Without knowing the non reporting schools, you could guess 5% or less. 4 or less per team average. (likely less) 25% would be 21 positives per each teams scholly players... No.

Take into account that half have recovered, and the highest you can get is 10%.

But yeah. They need to figure out the real #.

Last edited:
I know there is a lot of money involved but what moron would play a snap until there is a vaccine for this?

Until there is a vaccine could be forever. I'm not sure what the answer is but are we going to shut down sports (youth thru pros) for the rest of time?

I'm actually sort of enjoying the shutdown of youth sports. I think we as a society have gone completely off the rails with youth sports and how much we're subjecting 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th graders to the 365 day grind of having to keep up with the Jones' of youth sports, for fear of johnny getting left behind. It was so refreshing to see my 5th grader doing nothing but swimming and fishing all weekend instead of playing lacrosse (actually for the past month.)

Last edited:
Until there is a vaccine could be forever. I'm not sure what the answer is but are we going to shut down sports (youth thru pros) for the rest of time?

I'm actually sort of enjoying the shutdown of youth sports. I think we as a society have gone completely off the rails with youth sports and how much we're subjecting 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th graders to the 365 day grind of having to keep up with the youth sports Jones' for fear of johnny getting left behind. It was so refreshing to see my 5th grader doing nothing but swimming and fishing all weekend instead of playing lacrosse (actually for the past month.)
My state has started youth sports. 0.06% infected.

To be fair: That's the equivalent of NY state having 11600 active cases, or 281,000 less. (Current NYS 293,000 active cases)

Last edited:
My state has started youth sports. 0.06% infected.

To be fair: That's the equivalent of NY state having 11600 active cases, or 281,000 less. (Current NYS 293,000 active cases)

Youth sports in NYS (upstate) is slated to start July6. We'll see if it goes, lax is a contact sport and that's 2 weeks from today. I've seen absolutely nothing on how it's going to be handled and what the protocols will be.

and then factor in a day like today, 93 degrees playing lacrosse?

Last edited:
Youth sports in NYS (upstate) is slated to start July6. We'll see if it goes, lax is a contact sport and that's 2 weeks from today. I've seen absolutely nothing on how it's going to be handled and what the protocols will be.

and then factor in a day like today, 93 degrees playing lacrosse?
Here in Utah we are just wrapping up a one month condensed spring lax season. Modified rules made it 7v7, no face-offs, no handshakes at the end of the game and teams were not supposed to closely huddle. Depending on the venue they also had someone checking spectators to make sure appropriate distancing was happening.

Yeah my guess is most of the players are looking around at their completely asymptomatic positive covid 19 teammates and are not very concerned for their own health if they get it. I think that is how most young people are feeling right now. The risk of any ill effects to them personally is negligible. That is why they are the biggest uptick in positive cases.

not concerned about their own health but also not concerned with anyone else’s health either.

not concerned about their own health but also not concerned with anyone else’s health either.
I'd bet good $$, VERY good $$, that one of the big reasons players don't want to get sick, is because they don't want their older coaches getting sick.

Players know they are all going to be breathing in each others face. To say they aren't concerned with their coach"s/family's health is disingenuous.

I'd bet good $$, VERY good $$, that one of the big reasons players don't want to get sick, is because they don't want their older coaches getting sick.

Players know they are all going to be breathing in each others face. To say they aren't concerned with their coach"s/family's health is disingenuous.

so you’re saying they will act appropriately to do everything they can from not getting infected?

Yeah that is the rub. You hope they are otherwise being smart around people who might be at risk. And vice versa.

Many are.

i know they do not want to get their coaches, staff, parents, etc infected. But college kids and kids in that age group take more risks and blank out on consequences at a given moment. If many are, some don’t and it only takes 1.

i know they do not want to get their coaches, staff, parents, etc infected. But college kids and kids in that age group take more risks and blank out on consequences at a given moment. If many are, some don’t and it only takes 1.
Yup kids that age are just inherently reckless. I know I was to a degree. It's not necessarily fair but that is why older, at risk individuals need to be extra careful. I'm guessing the coaches are taking extra precautions. I had my annual physical in April and the last thing my doc said as he left the room was "assume everyone you come into contact with has coronavirus."

Schools are reporting 1-23. Without knowing the non reporting schools, you could guess 5% or less. 4 or less per team average. (likely less) 25% would be 21 positives per each teams scholly players... No.

Take into account that half have recovered, and the highest you can get is 10%.

But yeah. They need to figure out the real #.
My estimate is based on the fact that to date this age group has reported a significantly lower positive result than older demographics. If 20 year olds are at 5-10% what do you believe the general population is at. My guess is 20% or greater.

My estimate is based on the fact that to date this age group has reported a significantly lower positive result than older demographics. If 20 year olds are at 5-10% what do you believe the general population is at. My guess is 20% or greater.

in Onondaga county 20-29 have the most positive results and over the past couple weeks it’s gotten worse. Other cities said the same thing today such as LA and Tampa.

Every group falls to the lowest denominator. To lump them all in with "not concerned with anyone else's health, either. " is a wide sweeping brush, that doesn't reflect the vast majority. (Players anyway, that are beat over the head daily, by other players, to maintain protocols)
No different than seeing a handful of 60 year olds not wearing masks, and saying all 60 year olds dont care about anyone else's health, either.

Last edited:
I can just hear the coaches tell the players they have to practice abstinence for the next 6 months. They have to always wear a mask and social distance. Good luck with that!!!!!