Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

The schools have a good handle on things. That's why conference-only football is our only hope. Massive and standard testing and protocols.

If they just ran 10,000 tests the, bad at math, reporter could just say the positive rate is less than 1%. I mean, thanks for the # of tests, but...
The 53 positives is the important #. 53. Out of X players/staff.
My goodness. He should have just used the popular internet meme, of using population 330 million(for mortality rate). Out of 330 million the infection rate of Clemson player, is only .00000001% Nothing to see here. Public elementary school mathematics has failed us.

The important part of this tweet, is that since June 26th, there have been 6 positives. The 47 are either either upon arrival, or initial hiccups following protocol-which has changed. If we want to believe there can be football, and they can mitigate spread? That's the info to look at. Not some bogus "rate".

Last edited:
37 Clemson football players tested positive, as of June 26th. (31%) Since the 26th, between all athletics, 4 additional student athletes.

I have heard rumor (only because I have not yet substantiated it, but it's from a pretty good source) that Princeton University is planning on holding classes and creating distancing by alternating classes and semesters so that frosh and juniors attend in the fall and soph and seniors in the spring so the seniors get the on campus experience leading to their commencement. If true, this sounds like a "no sports" scenario for an Ivy.

The Oakley NFL face shield helmet design has been released to the world NFL unveils Oakley Mouth Shield to combat virus
Great that there are options for on the field, that may actually be effective. Seems its the off the field stuff that is bringing everything down. Kudos for the college teams that have remained disciplined. For the disciplined ones? It seems possible. The others? Not at all.

Last edited:
Sports in general is going to be hard for me to get back into:
  • The season can abruptly end at any time, rendering all games meaningless
  • In addition to injuries, players can be pulled due to testing positive (I won't even consider the notion of 5+ players testing positive-- what then?)

Lmao I’m sure college kids are going to avoid bars and off-campus parties with >25 people for the entire semester. If that’s a dealbreaker then you probably shouldn’t let kids back on campus.

But room and board $$$ talks

Part of me thinks that schools are just waiting for an outbreak on campus so that when they ask everyone to leave they can say "it's not our fault, there was an outbreak". Thanks for the $$$

With that said, more than housing schools now want to make sure that students don't leave their institute.

Lmao I’m sure college kids are going to avoid bars and off-campus parties with >25 people for the entire semester. If that’s a dealbreaker then you probably shouldn’t let kids back on campus.

But room and board $$$ talks
Depends on how stringent the regulators are. Parties off campus get busted all the time regardless. Bars will have their rules still too. Greek life is already in tons of heat around the country and SU as well, so now wouldn't be the time for them to ignore reality.

Tough time to be a college student. Really missing some great experiences, sad.

Part of me thinks that schools are just waiting for an outbreak on campus so that when they ask everyone to leave they can say "it's not our fault, there was an outbreak". Thanks for the $$$

With that said, more than housing schools now want to make sure that students don't leave their institute.
100%. They'll get 4-8weeks of cash..." It's not our fault so many students didnt follow the pledge they signed".
It's pretty obvious what is going to happen if we look at the much smaller sample of athletes returning.

That puts the kibosh on DO and WAER student reporters covering road games...

Some dirty(more to it) math. 1.8M active cases, with CDC estimates of 10 times more. 5.5% currently positive. If 10,000 students return to campus? Only 550 positives. We made em sign a pledge, and put up some plexiglass in the Cafeteria. What could possibly go wrong?

Each of these statements could easily be signed, "Hold my Beer."

100%. They'll get 4-8weeks of cash..." It's not our fault so many students didnt follow the pledge they signed".
It's pretty obvious what is going to happen if we look at the much smaller sample of athletes returning.

I think the smart schools are the ones with 10-20% of their classes in person. This will drastically limit the number of students/faculty/staff on campus.

A student and or professor in the US WILL die from being on campus. Perhaps they would have died even at home (eg catching it at the store, or going to a bar etc...), but what will the optics be? What will the reaction be?

if the kids are hanging out at college then they are probably hanging out this summer too.. Kids are not just sitting home now and many many kids are sitting in Apts all over already having small parties . Starting school back up isnt changing all that much and the on campus stuff is going to be controlled.

its gonna be a lot harder to have parties with 1-200 kids milling around off campus when people have a reason to report it like they do now instead of ignore it like years past. a lot of smaller parties is still better than 2-3 big ones. Most of these kids had 1 yr leases where do we think they have been for 4-5 months they didnt all go home.