Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wikipedia all the stats you want. I watched the games. The fact that the coaches went out and grabbed a transfer is all the proof anyone needs and pitched him to slide right into Eli's spot. A trio of Q, Marek and Bras is bottom of the ACC.

I watched a lot of games too. The bottom of the ACC would gladly take all 3 so they could stop being the bottom of the ACC

You wikipedia all the stats you want. I watched the games. The fact that the coaches went out and grabbed a transfer is all the proof anyone needs and pitched him to slide right into Eli's spot. A trio of Q, Marek and Bras is bottom of the ACC.
lolok.gif

Is there a closer P5 school he could have even gone to?
If you consider Rutgers a P5 school, yes. No one considers them one, but technically, they might be.

But Rutgers is in the arm pit epicenter of the pandemic and only convicts and the criminally insane would willingly visit that awful place. No one, even the NCAA, would ever expect a college student of sound mind and body to consider going there. No one is that mean spirited and hateful.

Marty Blake, is that you? I thought you died years ago.

A) you're wrong and B) I'm sure your "guy" loves you spouting this nonsense on here

I'm either too young or too old for Marty Blake...
I don’t know Marty Blake, and I can’t speak for him. But, don’t sell yourself short, if you like Marty Blake, you go for it. Don’t let age get in the way.

A) you're wrong and B) I'm sure your "guy" loves you spouting this nonsense on here
LOL alright man. I'll fade back to non posting.
And people around here wonder why folks with connections to the coaches stop posting here.

And people around here wonder why folks with connections to the coaches stop posting here.
Love the info you bring. In this thread, however, you're only editorializing (i.e., your opinion) on the quality of our players - which is why I asked you to clarify, in the first place, whether the sentiment was yours or the staff's

the nonsense to which I refer is not the info you bring, it's the trashing of our players

Insight is always appreciated. I think the take on the forward combo being bottom of the talent pool in the ACC is a hot take. Speaking with a few different folks including former a ACC player, they don't see it that way. That is not to say they are right, you are wrong. The point is there is a whole lot of what if in you statement. Especially when you consider how effective the frontcourt looked after the team started to figure things out and during that span the key piece we are losing really struggled with his shooting. Braswell is an unknown in terms of how a healthy version would translate with big minutes. We never got a fully in form Marek until later in the season and even then his shot never really had a chance after losing so much time with the finger issue. Quincy started to show out quite a bit later in the season. This group ended by destroying UNC. We never got to find out what happens next.

So take Marek and Quincy alone and you have legit talent and skillsets that are valued. Add an athletic shooter in Braswell and it is not a garbage forward combination at all. Are there questions? Sure. But bottom of the ACC? That is very fair to question even with watching games if you take more into consideration.

<Snip>

OR they are going to run some of that Marek at the 5 lineups (ugh!)

I actually hope they try a few possessions every first half of Dolezaj at the center position. There are some teams where the matchups will be more deleterious to their schemes than to ours. If we can swarm rebound with three guards or three forwards enough to offset an opponent's 280lb center having to guard Dolezaj on the 3pt line, for instance. Or forcing a team who rarely zones into a zone to account for our perimeter oriented team, for another. If hypothetical 280lb center immediately scores a couple buckets and we are looking outmatched, then switch back.

The biggest problem comes when Dolezaj is clearly outmatched physically, can't do enough to punish them on offense, AND we have nobody else to put in at center. (For instance, half of our losses last year.)

I can see several scenarios where Dolezaj at center is better than the alternative lineups. My biggest hope is that he successfully adds confidence out to the 3pt line where they have to guard him and polishes his handle enough where he is a threat to penetrate. When Sidibe is resting or in foul trouble, we may want three forwards in that case rather than Edwards

imho, you are seriously under rating the returning forwards. after a slow start, quincy exhibited strong play in conference play - he was top 10 in the acc in both offensive rebounding percentage and block percentage. on the offensive end he hit over 57% from the field (in conference games), good for 11th in the conference.

and marek was one of the best all around forwards in the conference, top 20 in multiple categories, albeit in a non-featured role. and i expect him to have a much more up front role if there is a 20-21 season:
View attachment 181865

i am very glad the team landed griffin and i hope he gets his waiver, but the chicken little act if he does not is way overblown

Really nice chart Moqui!

I didn't realize he was 7th in free throws attempted, he never seemed like he got a call all season!

Because he is going to play the 3 here. He isn't taking Buddy's spot at the two. He won't play the point. That leaves the 3.
Is anyone other than Buddy allowed to play the 2? Griffin is a natural 2 who can also play the 3.

Is anyone other than Buddy allowed to play the 2? Griffin is a natural 2 who can also play the 3.
Our best lineup most likely features Buddy at the 2 and Griffin at the 3. With the foul trouble that QG and Marek both got into last year, it might be hard to have them both on the court for an extended period together; not to mention our offense will suffer. Griffin may never play the 2 if Kadary is capable

?? Sure. Everyone is allowed to play the 2. The question on the floor was where would Griffin play? And the answer is the 3. Because we already have a 2 and that is Buddy. Our 3 left to play in the NBA. That spot is open.

imho, you are seriously under rating the returning forwards. after a slow start, quincy exhibited strong play in conference play - he was top 10 in the acc in both offensive rebounding percentage and block percentage. on the offensive end he hit over 57% from the field (in conference games), good for 11th in the conference.

and marek was one of the best all around forwards in the conference, top 20 in multiple categories, albeit in a non-featured role. and i expect him to have a much more up front role if there is a 20-21 season:
View attachment 181865

i am very glad the team landed griffin and i hope he gets his waiver, but the chicken little act if he does not is way overblown

Marek/Quincy are both good players but how often were they on the court together as forwards? If they were both in together it was usually because Sidibe was out and we were playing small.

There’s not enough outside shooting/perimeter ability in the game, if they’re both in there along with Sidibe. IMO.

Marek/Quincy are both good players but how often were they on the court together as forwards? If they were both in together it was usually because Sidibe was out and we were playing small.

There’s not enough outside shooting/perimeter ability in the game, if they’re both in there along with Sidibe. IMO.
My fear, to with that tandem as well.

it reminds me of when people wanted to see Lydon play the three in 2017 because he could shoot, but didn't have any other small forwards skills. I'm just afraid those two wouldn't have complimentary games paired together as a forward tandem, especially with Sid also being relegated to only producing within the shadow of the basket.

I think we see QG play 20 minutes a game at the 6th man, he is really built for it. then next year when MD is gone he starts at the 4 and plays 32 a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom