Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a reasonable possibility of it occurring based on development and improvement. That said the variance of outcomes record wise is huge. To predict it seems crazy to me. Possible? Yes. Likely? Who knows.

Which is why I said I’m going out on a limb. Doesn’t mean it’ll happen but it’s definitely possible. That’s what predictions are.

Vote is supposed to take place May 20th for the 1 time transfer rule and it WOULD be put into effect immediately for this years transfers.

We gain Griffin, Kadary, and Newton while loosing Eli, Goodine, Washington, and Carey and people think we go from one of our worst seasons ever under JB to ranked. How?

We lost one really good player.

We have everybody else back.

We’re bringing in one potentially really good player - and possibly another contributor in Kadary.

Returning experienced players get better and Griffin effectively replaces Hughes, and we’ll be better.

We’re bringing in one potentially really good player - and possibly another contributor in Kadary.

Returning experienced players get better and Griffin effectively replaces Hughes, and we’ll be better.
The question I can't answer though is if any of the returning starters are actually difference makers. Are any above average ACC starters? Possibly Marek mostly based on intangibles? Buddy obviously a great shooter but with his defense so terrible I don't know if he's better than average. Sidibe No. Girard No. Griffin/QG both are probably average starters for '20-'21 then hopefully move towards all league honors the following year.

The question I can't answer though is if any of the returning starters are actually difference makers. Are any above average ACC starters? Possibly Marek mostly based on intangibles? Buddy obviously a great shooter but with his defense so terrible I don't know if he's better than average. Sidibe No. Girard No. Griffin/QG both are probably average starters for '20-'21 then hopefully move towards all league honors the following year.

If we get end of the season Sidibe...

I think Marek and Quincy can definitely take a difference making sized step up from where they were last year.

The question I can't answer though is if any of the returning starters are actually difference makers? Are any above average ACC starters. Possibly Marek mostly based on intangibles? Buddy obviously a great shooter but with his defense so terrible I don't know if he's better than average. Sidibe No. Girard No. Griffin/QG both are probably average starters for '20-'21 then hopefully move towards all league honors the following year.

Sidibe gets a lot of crap here, but he finished 24th in win shares in the ACC and had an 8.0 box plus/minus. Vernon Carey and Oliver Sarr from WF were the only centers ahead of him from a win shares perspective. If anything he's underrated by the board. Foul trouble is his problem.

Marek is definately above average and if anything we need Buddy and Joe to both improve mainly on defense, but they were both about average last year in most advanced metrics.

Sidibe gets a lot of crap here, but he finished 24th in win shares in the ACC and had an 8.0 box plus/minus. Vernon Carey and Oliver Sarr from WF were the only centers ahead of him from a win shares perspective. If anything he's underrated by the board. Foul trouble is his problem.

Marek is definately above average and if anything we need Buddy and Joe to both improve mainly on defense, but they were both about average last year in most advanced metrics.

Hoping things slow down for Joe and he concentrates on taking quality shots. Can't have a guy shooting 7 3s a game at 32%. Given his FT stroke you'd have to think he should push up closer to 38-40%.

Hoping things slow down for Joe and he concentrates on taking quality shots. Can't have a guy shooting 7 3s a game at 32%. Given his FT stroke you'd have to think he should push up closer to 38-40%.
I think JG will get much better in this regard. I also think that people underestimate just how difficult it was to make the transition from a VOLUME shooter and scorer at class B HS in CNY to starting PG, as a freshman, in the ACC.

His 3 point % would also improve, IMO, if he were playing off the ball more rather than running the O.

We lost more than a great player. He was our best defender who had 3 years in the system. It's rare for a guy to jump in and play the zone well. Our defense may be the worst we've ever seen, worse than last year. Where is Kadary playing? Probably not over Griffin, and your high if you think Buddy or Girard arent playing 35 minutes.

He'll never shoot that percentage against ACC defenders unless he changes his shot selection which I doubt ever happens.

Does Griffin stay if Hughes comes back?

I'm actually interested in this question, even though it got sidetracked. Coronavirus uncertainty has to push the chance of Hughes' return somewhat higher...maybe 10%? Regardless, there's not much basketball news. What's the harm spending time on a hypothetical?

If Hughes returns, Griffin plays mostly two-guard. Buddy is a returning starter. Griffin would be no better off for minutes than when he was at Illinois. I guess he leaves. But I think it would be a shame to lose his talent when returnee improvement + Griffin could make SU a Top 25 team. Is there any combo of minutes at the 2 and 3 positions that makes this work? Does JB let Griffin walk because it would cost his son minutes?

In a scenario with all three, I think more rest for Hughes helps. I think fewer minutes for Buddy rests him, makes him a more efficient scorer, and limits his rebounding and defensive deficiencies -- in favor of Griffin who is proven better in REBs and presumably quicker defensively, without sacrificing much shooting, if any.

Well MSorange... you still wanna back this guy?

I agree with the first part of the sentence, but no I haven't given up hope that his shot selection won't improve after only his freshman season. Hey sorry it upsets you that people can look at the last few seasons and not be thrilled with the direction of the program.

I agree with the first part of the sentence, but no I haven't given up hope that his shot selection won't improve after only his freshman season. Hey sorry it upsets you that people can look at the last few seasons and not be thrilled with the direction of the program.

I only base my prediction on that it arguably got worse as the season went on and that's all he has known since he has played in high school and college. Maybe a little better but I don't see him shooting over 40% ever in his career.

Gmac is probably the best pure shooter we've ever had, but double teams and shot selection never got him over the 40% hump.

I only base my prediction on that it arguably got worse as the season went on ...

I gotta say, I perceived this too. And that is a really weird trend. Freshmen might hit a physical wall during the year, they might finish worse or slow their tempo, but usually discretion gets a little better. He basically became Deshaun Williams in the last few weeks of the season.

That said, I've got to assume it'll improve.

I gotta say, I perceived this too. And that is a really weird trend. Freshmen might hit a physical wall during the year, they might finish worse or slow their tempo, but usually discretion gets a little better. He basically became Deshaun Williams in the last few weeks of the season.

That said, I've got to assume it'll improve.
The last couple games he seemed to reign it in though. I think the freshmen wall was a real thing for Joe.

I also think Joe has the opportunity to improve his defense far more than Buddy does. Buddy regressed from frosh to soph years in terms of defense. I honestly don't understand how anyone doesn't see that.

I'm hopeful the Griffin kid gets to play next year, but if anyone thinks he will effectively replace the leading scorer in the ACC in his first year playing in the SU zone, I'm not understanding how they come to that conclusion. It sounds like he will be a better rebounder, which is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom