Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say I've watched any of his full games, but:

1. You literally pointed to his offensive BPM but didn't mention that of the players that played more than a couple minutes per game, he had the lowest defensive BPM on the team.

2. Seems like every Illinois fan I've seen talk about him has mentioned his defensive lapses as his biggest or second biggest weakness.

At any rate, very excited to have him aboard. I think this is is pretty much the perfect type of transfer to target in general and it seems like he could become a stud if he develops properly.

Fair, but judging by the rest of the teams shooting percentages they probably could have sacrificed some defense for offense on the perimeter.

Hey, he played in the NBA and had a nice career, so no disrespect to the school that gave us Raf and P.J.
Raf actually was from about 13 miles east and never attended Seton Hall.
But I know who you meant. ;)

Oh no, we suck again
I think the NCAA is going to be very lenient regarding granting waivers to players transferring to be closer to home. They will get a ton of criticism if they reject these. The same applies to the schools the players are transferring from.

Ossining is a little more than 3 hours from Syracuse, which isn’t ideal but coupled with his dad being based in Toronto, so Alan would be located between both locations, I just can’t see the NCAA saying no here.

I think the NCAA is going to be very lenient regarding granting waivers to players transferring to be closer to home. They will get a ton of criticism if they reject these. The same applies to the schools the players are transferring from.

Ossining is a little more than 3 hours from Syracuse, which isn’t ideal but coupled with his dad being based in Toronto, so Alan would be located between both locations, I just can’t see the NCAA saying no here.
I said basically the same thing and got a lukewarm response. Well said and I dont think this fits some of their doomsday agendas.

I wonder how many kids entering the transfer portal thinking that they would play immediately. Would Jalen, Brycen or Howard still be here if they knew they'd have to sit out a year? Would Alan still be coming?

Lenient use of the waiver could help them out- but they can't just hand them out like candy.

I wonder how many kids entering the transfer portal thinking that they would play immediately. Would Jalen, Brycen or Howard still be here if they knew they'd have to sit out a year? Would Alan still be coming?

Lenient use of the waiver could help them out- but they can't just hand them out like candy.

At the time all these kids entered the portal, the old rule (sit one year) was still in place. They shouldn't have had any expectation of immediate eligibility.

At the time all these kids entered the portal, the old rule (sit one year) was still in place. They shouldn't have had any expectation of immediate eligibility.

This is only tangentially related to this question, but in light of this I wonder if a kid like Washington [just for example] might change his mind.

We could certainly use a fourth guard -- and more specifically one who can play the point.

They already have been.

Agreed across all your points.

I get why they may not want to do a blanket policy until the year after with how much it could screw up the current recruiting (not saying I agree or disagree).

I would hope that Griffin can get this approved. It makes sense. We're not adding Carmelo Anthony here (not a knock against him). This is a relatively local kid that seems to check the boxes, especially in this climate.

Fair, but judging by the rest of the teams shooting percentages they probably could have sacrificed some defense for offense on the perimeter.

Coaches can be stubborn.

Raf actually was from about 13 miles east and never attended Seton Hall.
But I know who you meant. ;)

I meant that they both coached there against us in the Big East.

They should be handed out like candy. If you are in good academic standing at the end of the academic year, you should be able to go wherever you want to go, and play immediately.
These are not supposed to be sports organizations that offer education. They are supposed to be educational organizations that offer sports, and other extra curricular activities.

They were better than us.

Anywho, from an Illinois fan on Reddit:

I know that comparisons of Alan to Elijah are pretty easy to make and can be categorized as a little bit lazy, but man so many of the descriptions of his game sounds a lot like Elijah. Plus athlete. Lights out shooter. Not great handle but serviceable. Shaky defender. Here's hoping that Alan can come close to having the same impact Elijah had for us.

I know that comparisons of Alan to Elijah are pretty easy to make and can be categorized as a little bit lazy, but man so many of the descriptions of his game sounds a lot like Elijah. Plus athlete. Lights out shooter. Not great handle but serviceable. Shaky defender. Here's hoping that Alan can come close to having the same impact Elijah had for us.

Yeah, even down to the % of their shots at Illinois/ECU that were assisted, where they attempted their shots from, etc. Very similar but Griffin was better across the board at least statistically. Hughes obviously developed quite a bit while he was here. Hopefully Griffin does the same.

One of the reasons he chose us could be so he could say he wanted to be closer to home and be more likely to get a hardship.

Every transfer before him has sat other than Thorpe and Gillon. Might help our case and his that we’ve never requested the waiver.
[/QUOTE Andrew White didn't sit

This is only tangentially related to this question, but in light of this I wonder if a kid like Washington [just for example] might change his mind.

We could certainly use a fourth guard -- and more specifically one who can play the point.
Wasn't that Washington's exact role last season, though? 4th guard? And when he entered the portal (after Brycen had already entered) wasn't he shaping up to be the 4th guard again in 2020-21?

My guess is there's zero chance HoWash comes back to SU - especially now that Griffin is in the fold.

I omitted grad transfers where there was no question about it just forgot White. We have never applied for a hardship waiver our basketball transfers either day or were automatically eligible their first year on campus. This is the last year that process will even exist. Chances are he gets cleared. I think it helps we’ve never done this before.

Wasn't that Washington's exact role last season, though? 4th guard? And when he entered the portal (after Brycen had already entered) wasn't he shaping up to be the 4th guard again in 2020-21?

My guess is there's zero chance HoWash comes back to SU - especially now that Griffin is in the fold.

As stated, I was just using him as an example.

Kadary notwithstanding, it would be ideal [on many levels] to have a fourth guard on the roster, capable of running the point. For practice, but also if needed in games.

Totally get your point. I am not suggesting that Washington will change his mind. But, you never know under these unprecedented circumstances.

For the record, I don't expect him back.

Thorpe and Gillon were grad transfers...they don't sit...The kid from Nebraska didn't sit either.

I hope you're right!

As stated, I was just using him as an example.

Kadary notwithstanding, it would be ideal [on many levels] to have a fourth guard on the roster, capable of running the point. For practice, but also if needed in games.

Totally get your point. I am not suggesting that Washington will change his mind. But, you never know under these unprecedented circumstances.

For the record, I don't expect him back.

Well, technically - Kadary could be the backup PG. He’s an able & willing passer.

And Griffin can play both SG & SF (likely much more of the latter for us) - so while we don’t have a full-time 4th guard, do we really ‘need’ one?

Would be nice to have, but who transfers in under that assumption??
Answer - nobody.

HoWash was already here, and wanted no part of getting only table scraps.
Why would some other player want the same?

Get us Haarms or the C from LBSU and call it a summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom