Albany Game Lookahead | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game Lookahead

Bomberry was torched pretty bad by Jack Ray of Navy last year too. I chalked last year up to injuries, but seems like more of the same this year so far. I think against Nanticoke they need to slide early and be serious about it. Even against Colgate they deployed the same lazy half slides that have been their staple the last few years. Commit to it.

I think the offense is key here - I wonder if Albany will put the long stick on Curry, or even double pole the midfield. Trimboli needs to play much better (he had decent chances against Colgate but served up a lot of beach balls). Got to hope that he and Lipka don't combine for another 1-14 shooting performance. Also think they need to try and mix in Cook with Solomon and Rhefuss to take advantage of either the third d-man or the potential short-stick on attackman matchup.

Bomberry was torched pretty bad by Jack Ray of Navy last year too. I chalked last year up to injuries, but seems like more of the same this year so far. I think against Nanticoke they need to slide early and be serious about it. Even against Colgate they deployed the same lazy half slides that have been their staple the last few years. Commit to it.

I think the offense is key here - I wonder if Albany will put the long stick on Curry, or even double pole the midfield. Trimboli needs to play much better (he had decent chances against Colgate but served up a lot of beach balls). Got to hope that he and Lipka don't combine for another 1-14 shooting performance. Also think they need to try and mix in Cook with Solomon and Rhefuss to take advantage of either the third d-man or the potential short-stick on attackman matchup.
Honestly if I were Albany, I would think about double polling the midfield when trimboli and curry are out there. Voight didn’t seem like much of a threat off ball, let alone on ball on Friday so I wouldn’t scratch off the idea of putting a shorty on him

They need to do something to jump start the offense. People that aren't producing need to sit. Mix it up until you find the right lines as there are plenty of options. As for Voight, I'd give him a little more run but if he gets stoned on the doorstep like he did against Gate, sit him. We need production especially if our D continues to struggle to find its rhythm.

I would be shocked if they didn't poll Curry after his Colgate performance. I don't know if Albany will double poll though as there breaking in a lot of new defenders especially at SSDM, don't know if they have the personnel to do that. Should they double pole though I think you have to get Cook in for Voigt immediately. Onus will also fall on Lipka do take advantage as I assume they would put the second pole on Trimbo. Either way I hope SU runs a complete second line so we can try and wear Albany down. Even a guy like O'Sullivan with his speed might be worth giving some runs to try and see if he can open some things up if Albany double poles the midfield.

In the end it will probably come down to the attack unit, if their not considerably better were going to be in disastrous trouble.

Last edited:
They need to do something to jump start the offense. People that aren't producing need to sit. Mix it up until you find the right lines as there are plenty of options. As for Voight, I'd give him a little more run but if he gets stoned on the doorstep like he did against Gate, sit him. We need production especially if our D continues to struggle to find its rhythm.

I think we saw last year what happens when the coaches constantly tinker and move around and switch players in and out. It's easy to say next man up if someone is struggling, but I don't think this is a long term plan. Again, I have to assume there is a reason why these are the guys who are playing. And they do have a proven track record - Trimboli, Rhefuss, Voigt have had big games for the Orange and we can't forget that. Throwing a bunch of freshmen to the wolves isn't going to help things.

I think the things that need to change are the schemes. Again, they did pretty well on man-up and showed good ball movement early on - why did that change? A lot of bad shots came when midfielders seemed to dodge without passing which makes the shot much easier to track for a goalie. Why weren't they being more patient? Where was the off-ball movement? I think they need to simplify things and move away from trying to get attackmen matched up with shorties. They aren't going to beat a lot of teams playing hero ball - they need to develop a quick passing game that will get open shots.

Even a guy like O'Sullivan with his speed might be worth giving some runs to try and see if he can open some things up if Albany double poles the midfield.
I liked the dodging ability he displayed briefly last season, but Riley was one of our players in team sweats against Colgate (along with Tucker, Swigart, Jack Fiorini and Dami, who's ineligible) so I wonder what's the timetable for his return. If a second line of Quinn, Carlin and Buttermore prove to loaded with shooters or bull-dodging types then there's an opportunity for someone with more dynamic dodging ability to crack that line (or continue to see Cook or Solomon get runs there).

I would be shocked if they didn't poll Curry after his Colgate performance. I don't know if Albany will double poll though as there breaking in a lot of new defenders especially at SSDM, don't know if they have the personnel to do that. Should they double pole though I think you have to get Cook in for Voigt immediately. Onus will also fall on Lipka do take advantage as I assume they would put the second pole on Trimbo. Either way I hope SU runs a complete second line so we can try and wear Albany down. Even a guy like O'Sullivan with his speed might be worth giving some runs to try and see if he can open some things up if Albany double poles the midfield.

In the end it will probably come down to the attack unit, if their not considerably better were going to be in disastrous trouble.

Agree - would love to see O’Sullivan run. Hope I am wrong on this one, but Quinn is a big concern ..despite his incoming profile, I haven’t seen anything to suggest he can go at the next level - looked lost to me on the field last week and made some very bad decisions on shots

I liked the dodging ability he displayed briefly last season, but Riley was one of our players in team sweats against Colgate (along with Tucker, Swigart, Jack Fiorini and Dami, who's ineligible) so I wonder what's the timetable for his return. If a second line of Quinn, Carlin and Buttermore prove to loaded with shooters or bull-dodging types then there's an opportunity for someone with more dynamic dodging ability to crack that line (or continue to see Cook or Solomon get runs there).

Ya I would assume he might have an injury issue if he was in sweats, hopefully its only a minor as he has the speed to cause problems. I haven't heard his name a lot but Fiorini is a pass first middie who might be someone to consider if we continue to have issues with midfield prodcuction. That being said I have little idea where he falls on the depth chart at this point. Id like to see what Buttermore could do with some extended run, ditto Magnan.

Ya I would assume he might have an injury issue if he was in sweats, hopefully its only a minor as he has the speed to cause problems. I haven't heard his name a lot but Fiorini is a pass first middie who might be someone to consider if we continue to have issues with midfield prodcuction. That being said I have little idea where he falls on the depth chart at this point. Id like to see what Buttermore could do with some extended run, ditto Magnan.
Peter Fiorini I assume (as opposed to Jack)? Heard a rumor in fall about a potential redshirt, but we'd obviously reconsider (if that was the plan) with our depth and quality taking a hit with Tucker confirmed out for season.

Peter Fiorini I assume (as opposed to Jack)? Heard a rumor in fall about a potential redshirt, but we'd obviously reconsider (if that was the plan) with our depth and quality taking a hit with Tucker confirmed out for season.

Yes Peter, UA out of Baldwinsville. Coaches kid who plays smart and keeps his head up and looks t pass. Had some crazy assist totals his jr year. Probably needs a RS year to adjust to the D1 level but if he's producing in practice I would give him a look.

If Voigt struggles, how about putting Seebold in the middle? He is a big kid with a decent handle. Also, if Rehfuss is going to be the primary feeder it makes sense that the crease man is primarily a right-handed shooter. I haven't seen Voigt use his right hand and he sometimes has to spin around to get the lefty shot off.

Jeremy your RS mention got me thinking. I know SU redshirts a ton of kids but UA AA's are generally ready for D1 lacrosse. Colgate (nor any Patriot League schools) doesn't redshirt unless there is a major injury. Just another reason to be fairly concerned with performance of late.

Jeremy your RS mention got me thinking. I know SU redshirts a ton of kids but UA AA's are generally ready for D1 lacrosse. Colgate (nor any Patriot League schools) doesn't redshirt unless there is a major injury. Just another reason to be fairly concerned with performance of late.

Well a lot of SU's recent UA (this class not withstanding) have been outside of traditional hot bed areas. Seebold, Solomon, and Romano were all UA's and none were ready to really contribute all that much their frosh years. That being said Cook look and Magnan have both already seen the field this year and Cook saw a lot of time last Friday. There is a lot of midfield competition (at least on paper) at SU right now so while he may be able to play at say a Hobart right away its a tougher climb at a school like Syracuse. That being said I certainly share your concern that overall the offensive performance hasn't been great when you look at last year and now this first game.

One thing is for sure after the Colgate game/the first game with the shot clock. If you are an offensive player, attack or middie, you have to have a passable level of skill at both one on one and team defense. Going through the highlights here is the rundown of colgate goals that exploited offensive guys stranded on D.

1- Man goes by trimboli way to easily making it impossible for the second slide to stop the inside pass for a goal
3- Curry stranded on D and slides late after Colgate man beats SSDM 1 on 1
4- Curry completely misses his assignment as the second guy to slide and Colgate scores on wide open shot
7- Both Quinn and Curry stranded on D and Colgate gets a wide open shot, eventually scoring on rebound.
10- Cook ball watching while getting back on D after a turnover and gets back doored for the goal. Trimboli doesn't get back fast enough.

The strategy of just getting better at subbing off won't work against albany since they run 2 way middies pretty consistently. I would hope desko is looking at the same film and realizes that this is currently a major problem area of equal concern to other troubles from our offensive players, especially with Albany coming up.

I watched the game a second time. What stood out for me was the timidity of the middies and attacks. I don't think I saw a dodge redodge or dodge redodge redodge the whole game. Even the runs from up top seemed half hearted. No one tested his defenseman much after the first encounter. Almost submissive, as if they decided their defensemen were superior after an initial attempt. Timidity in any sport is toxic. I know . I've been timid. Always got me exposed. Screams bad preparation at least psychologically.

Albany being two goal favorite does not surprise given their domination in every facet last year. Could be viewed as closing gap by ten. Really mixed on whether that is a sucker line with Tehoka and others salivating watching tape or whether our offense is ready to percolate and offset. Last week I had Cuse w 13-12 , at least had one team's total right. Going with same score this week.

Albany 15-10, if we’re doing predictions

I worry about a similar outcome myself if the offense doesn't take a big step forward. Should SU get beat handily like that I think there's a good chance the wheels could come completely off and things start getting ugly.

I think this is going to be a desperate Syracuse team vs an Albany team that has been disrespected by the greater lacrosse community ( ie, media) so I expect both teams to come out throwing haymakers, and whoever lands the hardest punches first is going to have the upper hand for sure.

I don't see an outcome like last year because Albany won't have the ball enough, but even with mediocre face off results in the scrimmages the offense still put up a lot of points.

I see this as a 2-3 goal game either way just based upon who has the most composure in the key moments.

I worry about a similar outcome myself if the offense doesn't take a big step forward. Should SU get beat handily like that I think there's a good chance the wheels could come completely off and things start getting ugly.

The listless starts in the scrimmages and against Colgate are what really worry me. If that happens again, it doesn’t seem likely they’ll be able to pull themselves out of the tailspin.

Last edited:
The listless starts in the scrimmages and against Colgate are what really worry me. If that happens again, it doesn’t seem likely they’ll be able to pull themselves out of the tailspin,

Excellent point, if we come out slow again the bball team and get down 4 or 5 zip the game will essentially be over. Really need to come out strong and take it to the Danes.

The listless starts in the scrimmages and against Colgate are what really worry me. If that happens again, it doesn’t seem likely they’ll be able to pull themselves out of the tailspin.

I have no idea why the team seems so listless but if they can't get fired up against a team that embarrassed them last year that's beyond concerning.

Does anyone know the last time SU lacrosse started a season 0-2? Don't want to get ahead of myself - but isn't that what message boards are for? Last time the Orange had a losing season, in '07, they started the season 1-2 (winning their opener against Hobart). Last time they lost their home opener they reeled off five straight wins and made the Championship game in 2013.

Does anyone know the last time SU lacrosse started a season 0-2? Don't want to get ahead of myself - but isn't that what message boards are for? Last time the Orange had a losing season, in '07, they started the season 1-2 (winning their opener against Hobart). Last time they lost their home opener they reeled off five straight wins and made the Championship game in 2013.

I can't recall either which is a great sign at least, lol. I think this is an enormous game not only because we lost to Colgate but because the schedule as I have complained about before is ridiculously tough and you have to wonder if 0-2 could easily become 0-4 and the wheels completely come off this thing. This schedule is difficult enough that things could snowball quickly if the team, doesn't snap out of it. Wish we were playing Canisius or St,. Johns or Siena or someone we should beat to get these guys some confidence and get this thing pointed in the right direction again.

1974, when the team went 2-9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom