All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. | Syracusefan.com

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Good riddance Joe Pa. You can bet that Sandusky didn't start abusing kids in his 50"s. This was going on probably since his late teens. I cannot believe that NO ONE in state college knew about this or there were no more police reports. Unfortunately, only a small % of the victims will likely come forward.

Does that quote fit this situation? That would imply that JoePa is a good man.

Good men don't turn their back on that. JoePa is barely a level of evil below Sandusky. The man is a disgrace, those defending him need to reevaluate their lives and pray that they or anyone love is never touched by that kind of child abuse.

just went to breakfast-guy at the table behind me said something like"poor ole joe isnt getting a fair shake"

i turned and told him to shut the f#$@ up-

any man who would let children be harmed because of how it may effect his football team derserves no respect

...the world has been filled by good men who do not meet the call to be good men...but rather take the least difficult road to succeed...let's hope that we all are good men who when called...do what is right!

We are seeing a phenomenon that we can understand because of its horrific and personal nature. But for the last 30 years, corporations and institutions have become more power hungry and money stokes the insatiable fire. All over the world and certainly in the USA, we have seen how the "ordinary man - or child" has been trampled, outsourced, disregarded. But people are waking up. Those Penn State fans and students who are rioting have not yet grasped that they are in the same category as those poor abused children. But they will. "Do not send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee."

In order of Guilt

1. Sandusky
2.Mike Mcqueary
3.Mike McQueary' Father
4. Joe Pa

We are seeing a phenomenon that we can understand because of its horrific and personal nature. But for the last 30 years, corporations and institutions have become more power hungry and money stokes the insatiable fire. All over the world and certainly in the USA, we have seen how the "ordinary man - or child" has been trampled, outsourced, disregarded. But people are waking up. Those Penn State fans and students who are rioting have not yet grasped that they are in the same category as those poor abused children. But they will. "Do not send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee."
Well said.
GO ORANGE !

In order of Guilt

1. Sandusky
2.Mike Mcqueary
3.Mike McQueary' Father
4. Joe Pa

My list:

1. Sandusky
obviously a huge gap
2a. PSU President
2b. PSU AD
3. Paterno
4. McQueary

McQueary was no Bespeckeled , Towel picker upper,Stat Geek nerd. He was a 28 year old man who was up for the Unitas award his Senior year,He played pro Ball Football and tried out with the Raiders. He was Big enough and strong enough to stop it in it's tracks...... At 28 years Old men were called Grampa in Vietnam

I posted this Edmund Burke saying on Tuesday. I think the idea is that some of these people may have been good people prior to this incident, but when they were tested failed. I generally agree with you eao1115 with a slight adjustment. I would have McQueary slighlty ahead of Paterno. I just couldn't walk away from what he saw without taking immediate and prompt action.

"But for the last 30 years, corporations and institutions have become more power hungry and money stokes the insatiable fire."

Utter nonsense. You need to stop watching so much TV and movies in which "corporations" are depicted as evil.

Corporations supply products and services that people want and need. They do so while continually seeking to be more efficient because competition requires that of them.

Go out side, get a garden hose, turn it on and put the nozzle in your ear. Then pull the trigger. You need a good clean out.

In order of Guilt

1. Sandusky
2.Mike Mcqueary
3.Mike McQueary' Father
4. Joe Pa

That's what I wonder, what did the dad or ga say to paterno? Did they leave stuff out and make it so it didn't sound as horrible as it was? Did paterno already know this guy was sick and covered for him? If paterno did nothing that itself was wrong but if he also covered it up well...

I posted this Edmund Burke saying on Tuesday. I think the idea is that some of these people may have been good people prior to this incident, but when they were tested failed. I generally agree with you eao1115 with a slight adjustment. I would have McQueary slighlty ahead of Paterno. I just couldn't walk away from what he saw without taking immediate and prompt action.

Sandusky, McQuery, Paterno and the rest deserve everything they are going to get. And it's going to get a lot worse. Careers, lives and legacies have been ruined.

Sandusky has ben quoted as saying that he wishes he were dead. Well, Jerry, what's the hold up?

But at the same time all this outrage seems a bit too easy. Lots of courage in these posts. Easy to do when you aren't actually there. When your career and job and reputation and your families livelihood isn't hanging in the balance.

I wonder who among the posters would have had the balls to go to the police instead of just doing the minimum and bucking it "up the line".

The offense was so horrible that it would have been obvious that a huge scandal would erupt. Just like it has now. And everyone associated with PSU football was going to get sucked down the commode including the person that blew the whistle.

Amazing how many posters have zero doubt that they wouldn't do the right thing.

Lots of courage in these posts. Easy to do when you aren't actually there.

I wonder who among the posters would have had the balls to go to the police instead of just doing the minimum and bucking it "up the line".

The offense was so horrible that it would have been obvious that a huge scandal would erupt. Just like it has now. And everyone associated with PSU football was going to get sucked down the commode including the person that blew the whistle.

Amazing how many posters have zero doubt that they wouldn't do the right thing.

Some people are raised with a strong sense of right and wrong and aren't afraid to act on that when the situation presents itself. I just would hope that the posters with "courage" and those like them are around when needed. I would guess that a majority of grown adults would have intervened in a stonger fashion than the ga.

Some people are raised with a strong sense of right and wrong and aren't afraid to act on that when the situation presents itself. I just would hope that the posters with "courage" and those like them are around when needed. I would guess that a majority of grown adults would have intervened in a stonger fashion than the ga.

I doubt it. In fact, it seems very likely that a lot of adults knew about this.

Suppose you saw what MCQueery was reported to have seen. Your first reaction would have been outrage, of course. He agonized over it and in the end took one of the easier ways out (The easiest way would have been to say nothing.)

When the higher-ups did nothing, McQueery could have then gone to the Police himself.

But to do so --- after the higher ups had done nothing --- would have pulled the whole building down. And McQueery would have been the guy who killed Paterno and Penn State football. His career would have been over. And the careers of lots of others, some of whom were only tangentially involved.

The offense was so horrible that I would hope any adult with a conscience wouldn't turn a blind eye and walk away.If you see a child being sodomized, and the first thing you think about is your job,you are truly pathetic.

I doubt it. In fact, it seems very likely that a lot of adults knew about this.

Suppose you saw what MCQueery was reported to have seen. Your first reaction would have been outrage, of course. He agonized over it and in the end took one of the easier ways out (The easiest way would have been to say nothing.)

When the higher-ups did nothing, McQueery could have then gone to the Police himself.

But to do so --- after the higher ups had done nothing --- would have pulled the whole building down. And McQueery would have been the guy who killed Paterno and Penn State football. His career would have been over. And the careers of lots of others, some of whom were only tangentially involved.
dude - it's child rape - he then spent the next decade seeing a man he knew to be a rapist of young boys hanging around the football program and fronting a charity for troubled boys

you seem to be tipping your hand as to which way you would've reacted - I couldn't live with myself if I were him

In order of Guilt

1. Sandusky
2.Mike Mcqueary
3.Mike McQueary' Father
4. Joe Pa

Maybe true if you are focusing only on the 2002 event.

But if you look at the big picture, and what Paterno must have known by 1998, then you can't excuse JoePa's inaction in 2002. You simply can't.

He pulled the whole building down anyway, just in a delayed manner.

dude - it's child rape - he then spent the next decade seeing a man he knew to be a rapist of young boys hanging around the football program and fronting a charity for troubled boys

you seem to be tipping your hand as to which way you would've reacted - I couldn't live with myself if I were him

Some people are driven by greed alone,some are not.

In order of Guilt

1. Sandusky
2.Mike Mcqueary
3.Mike McQueary' Father
4. Joe Pa

I put it order of who actually did the acts then by power at PSU.

1. Sandusky
2. Paterno (the buck stops here)
3. President
4. AD & Finance guy
5. MM
6. Everyone else.

I put it order of who actually did the acts then by power at PSU.

1. Sandusky
2. Paterno (the buck stops here)
3. President
4. AD & Finance guy
5. MM
6. Everyone else.

Agree 100% in terms of the big picture.

Yeah, the thing that people seem to be conveniently forgetting is that there was no "up the chain of command" at Penn State.

Paterno WAS the chain of command.

This is a dude that basically said "I don't care what you say, I'm still the coach" when the BOT tried to oust him in 2004. That tells you all you need to know about the power structure at PSU.

Paterno playing it off like "I told my supervisors so I did everything within my power" is PITIFUL. This is a guy who falls over himself trying to show how great and powerful he is at every turn, but the one time it really mattered for him to display that power, he didn't.

This is a dude that basically said "I don't care what you say, I'm still the coach" when the BOT tried to oust him in 2004. That tells you all you need to know about the power structure at PSU.

Exactly!

Actually, Mojo ... I've done it.

As an 18 yr old A3C, I was accosted by an officer, a Captain who was the Administrative Officer in the Civil Engineering Squadron. He propositioned me, attempted to grab my junk. I was stunned. But I called my section chief, who called our Captain (an ex-PA State Trooper.). And the whole thing was off to the races.

Between the lie detector tests and the courts-martial --- all based on only my testimony -- and the cross-examination, it was not a lot of fun. Serious business. There were some in the chain of command who seemed to wish I had shut up. At the end of the day, all the guy got was a "Conduct Unbecoming" conviction.

I did everything right. I took the courageous path. I also ended up in Viet Nam, which I always suspected was to get a reminder of an unpleasant experience off the base. Maybe not.