All Time SU Roster(s) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

All Time SU Roster(s)

Depends on which version of Boeheim is coaching the team. If we are talking 75-95 man to man Boeheim, I'd take Sherm as the point. If we are talking 96-16 all zone Boeheim I wouldn't.

I'm going to pick the modern Boeheim, because I think he's a better coach now than he was then.

Going with that, Ill take.

PG: Gbinije
SG: Rautins
SF: Johnson
PF: Owens
C: Coleman

This is not the most talented team, and is arguably is missing SU's 3 best players (Pearl, Douglas, Anthony). But I think it might be the best team. Its got great length at each position, an A+ defender at each position. On offense, There are 3 great shooters who will space the floor and allow Owens and Coleman to absolutely dominate inside (both those guys can shoot, pass, and handle the ball, and are unstoppable one on one, and too good at passing to double). There isnt a traditional point guard, but Gbinije, Rautins, and Owens are all comfortable running the offense and they can switch out which in a lot of ways is better than having all the ball handling on one guys shoulders.

Off the bench I'd take.

G: Jardine - was the point on two #1 seeds, and not by accident. He had a great feel for when to distribute and when to look for his own shot. I think he'd fit in great as a bench guy who came in only when we needed the ball handling/distributing.

F: Anthony - I have him on the bench rather than starting because he's not as good defending as Johnson or Owens and their skills compliment each other in a way that Anthony's doesnt. Still, imagine bringing him off the bench for instant scoring? He'd be unstoppable in that role. Could also add more ball handling (coming in for Johnson) if the team happened to need that.

C: Thomas - Shot blocking is so important in the college game, and he was the best we've had. A big line up of Thomas at center and Coleman at forward would be really hard to score against.

That's my 8 man rotation.

For the other 2 I'd take shooters. I have tons of ball handling, tons of defense, tons of offense. Not possible to have too many shooters.

McNamara - not ideal defensively, but he would get a lot of open looks with this team, and can be that free throw guy when you need one.

Nichols - A bit redundant with Johnson on the team, but could fill in if an injury happened.

For the two deep bench guys, I'll take two surprises.

James Theus

Jeremy McNeil.

Why am I taking them? We saw this year that Boeheim's press can be deadly. Theus was the best I have seen at SU at the head of the press. McNeil was the best press rim protector I have seen. I'd keep these guys in reserve in case we needed to press. Bring them on with a few automatic offense guys (lets say McNamara, Anthony, Owens) and you have a team that will force turnovers, and will also convert off them.

This is almost the best possible defensive team, and best possible shooting team. Its great in the half court. It can press. The one problem would be this is not the best transition team, but I'll live with that, you win in March with good half court offense. Transition O can be game-planned against.

I love the proposed G, Andy backcourt. There are just so many things you can do offensively with them and defensively they are 2 of the best JB has had out top.

Players I've seen and I'm doing something bothered did which was move Coleman to C.

Starters
PG Pearl
2G Bing
SF Owens
PF Carmelo
C Coleman

2nd team
PG Sherm
2G Kohls
SF Wallace
PF Warrick
C Seikaly

11th/12th men
Moten
Bouie

Players I've seen and I'm doing something bothered did which was move Coleman to C.

Starters
PG Pearl
2G Bing
SF Owens
PF Carmelo
C Coleman

2nd team
PG Sherm
2G Kohls
SF Wallace
PF Warrick
C Seikaly

11th/12th men
Moten
Bouie
Hmmm...I like the reference to Kohls...but not it's got me thinking about Sweet D.

You'll have to excuse me, as I was born in '88 and my earliest memories of Cuse is '96. Even that is fuzzy.

I have a hard time including a guy who played 20 years before I was born and ultimately it's why I didn't attempt to cobble a team together at the risk of insulting folks such as yourself who have fond memories of "the greats".

I'm enjoying your dancing around trying not to call me "old". :D

You probably didn't see much of Magic, Bird, or maybe even MJ, but I'm pretty sure you'll be ok deferring to folks such as myself who have fond memories of "the greats" like those too. ;)

I never saw Bing play. But, he's in the HOF, so it's not a stretch to consider him one of "the greats" at SU.
He was.
I never saw Louie & Bouie play - I wasn't "in to" college hoops, until I was a Frosh at SU.
So, my personal experience starts with Pearl - but I'm not going to pretend nothing happened prior to that.

There's this cool thing all us old timers use, called Google.
You can find out all sorts of intereting things from it. :p

You young whippersnappers also might have some fun sifting thru http://orangehoops.org/

PS - some guy named Jim Brown was a pretty good football player for SU.
But, that was before your time, so you can just go ahead and ignore it. :D

Best part of three pages and still no love for Jim Lee. :noidea:

But I'm guessing it's because most here are too young to have functional memories of him :cool:

xc84 said:
Hmmm...I like the reference to Kohls...but not it's got me thinking about Sweet D.

I gave sweet d and Jimmy lee a lot of thought.

No love for Southerland? Smooth shooting, deadly range, and a big plus in the zone at 6'8".

I really can't do things like this. They make my head hurt and I'll be at it all day.

Southerland only counts if we are playing Arkansas.

Regarding Dave Bing, the guy could jump through the ceiling at 6'3" and averaged over 10 rebounds per game in college. His athleticism would have played well in any era, including the present one, IMO.

It's not an easy exercise.

This is tough, but here it goes

Pearl
Bing
Melo
Coleman
Seikely

bench

Sherm
Gmac
Owens
Moten
Wallace
Warrick

The team id like to watch?

Pearl
Gmac
Owens
Coleman
Bouie

The team I think would be the best team to win at all cost

Sherm
Rautins
Melo
Wallace
Coleman

Going small:

1 / Pearl
2 / Bing
3 / Carmelo
4 / Wallace
5 / DC

Doesn't look great defensively, although they would rebound like the dickens.

Then:

1b / Sherman
2b / DNich? Shooting guard is the most difficult choice...
3b / Billy 'New O' Owens
4b / Warrick
5b / Seikaly

Of only players I have seen in my lifetime:

G: MCW
G: Moten
F: Coleman
F: Anthony
C: Seikaly

Bench
Douglas
Waiters
Owens
Wallace
Thomas
Wes Johnson
Southerland or Nichols. DNic was more rounded so I'll go with him.

Bench
Douglas
Waiters
Owens
Wallace
Thomas
Wes Johnson

Hakim Warrick would like a word with you... ;)

How is it you saw Sherm, DC, and Rony, but not Pearl?
Pearl played with Rony and Sherm.
Might want to get those eyes checked. :D

Hakim Warrick would like a word with you... ;)

How is it you saw Sherm, DC, and Rony, but not Pearl?
Pearl played with Rony and Sherm.
Might want to get those eyes checked. :D
I first matriculated @ SU in the Fall of 1987; I saw Sherm, DC, and Rony, but missed Pearl...

Yet, AO has never had more than a cup of coffee in the NBA.
Hmmm. He's so great, and would have torched the BE DPOY. :crazy:

Yeah, Fab was a bust as a Pro.
So was Pearl.
And Moten. And Owens.
And J-Dub. And... AO.

As a college player, at his best, Fab was much better than AO was.
That's why he got drafted and AO didn't.
If AO hadn't gotten hurt in the Big East Tourney in 2010... he could have had a super NCAA tourney and led (#1 seed) SU to a championship...and been a hot prospect going into the draft. Once he got hurt, no NBA team was going to take a chance on him. He was not on a level playing field with Fab Melo when it came to the draft.

Last edited:

Bench
Douglas
Waiters
Owens
Wallace
Thomas
Wes Johnson
MCW over Sherman Douglas is not even thinkable... Plus, Moten was a forward...

1G: Sherman Douglas
2G: Dave Bing
3F: Carmelo Anthony
4F: Derrick Coleman
5C: Etan Thomas

Bench: Rony Seikaly, John Wallace, Billy Owens, Pearl, Hakim Warrick...

If AO hadn't gotten hurt in the Big East Tourney in 2010... he could have had a super NCAA tourney and led (#1 seed) SU to a championship...and been a hot prospect going into the draft. Once he got hurt, no NBA team was going to take a chance on him. He was not on a level playing field with Fab Melo when it came to the draft.

tumblr_m1rkum8XXW1rqfhi2o1_500_zpsrek8j4oo.gif

MCW over Sherman Douglas is not even thinkable... Plus, Moten was a forward...

Moten started at and mostly played the SG spot his last 2 years.

I'll preface this by stating "no offense", but - there's no way to state this without offending people:

Anyone who has AO on ANY all-time SU hoops player list (for anything besides epicly awful FT shooting) is on drugs.

I love the guy, and appreciate what he did for us, but he's not even in the Top 5 (or probably Top 10) SU centers.
Period.

His "offense" was monster dunks, and O-reb putbacks of his own bricked shots.

If you saw DC1, then you saw Rony.
Who is 1000x better than AO at everything in basketball.

Also: Fab (much as we hate to mention his name) and Rak would be ahead of AO too, just in recent vintage.

Shump or Southy at forward??
Just, NO.

Cmon people.

AO had a nice back to the basket post game, and a nice touch around the rim on his jump hooks. Saying his offense was dunks and putbacks of his own "bricks" makes me wonder how well you remember him?

SHould also be noted that despite Fab Melo being drafted and AO not...AO played more in the NBA than Fab did. 11 games and 98 minutes for AO, 6 games and 36 minutes for Fab. AO even picked up one start in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom