All Time SU Roster(s) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

All Time SU Roster(s)

Moten actually was a power forward for us in terms of his skill under the basket...

Moten was never a PF, in game or where he played. His freshman year, he was a 3 on a small team that had fellow wing David Johnson forced to play out of position as an undersized PF. The next three years, John Wallace was on the team and had the 4 on lock down. Lawrence played two seasons at the 3 [alongside Hopkins who started at SG], and his final two at the 2 after Hop graduated.

Small forward. Lineup on those teams were Autry, Moten, Jackson, Wallace and McRae.
I guess memory is fuzzy, but totally remember Luke as a guard...

I guess memory is fuzzy, but totally remember Luke as a guard...

Luke was definitely not a guard [skill set or where he played]. He was a big, strong 6-6 225 ox of a forward without much of a handle, or traditional 3 versatility that you characteristically see in our system. Strong defender, decent rebounder, decent three point shooter. Good athlete. I always respected how hard he played, even though he never quite seemed to put it together offensively. Also had a great attitude--he was also one of those "yes sir, no sir" kind of guys in practice, which is a refreshing change from how some players act.

Edit: this suggests that Jackson did play some shooting guard, but I definitely don't remember that.

Moten actually was a power forward for us in terms of his skill under the basket...

Early in his career he played forward as we went with a small lineup, and he spent a lot of time working the baseline and he did score a lot inside.

His game seemed to move more and more outside over his career. By his senior year he was pretty much a classic 2 guard, as he handled the ball more out front, and took more 3's. He definitely played up top on the zone when we were in it, as a Jr/Sr. That's how I remember it.

Luke was definitely not a guard [skill set or where he played]. He was a big, strong 6-6 225 ox of a forward without much of a handle, or traditional 3 versatility that you characteristically see in our system. Strong defender, decent rebounder, decent three point shooter. Good athlete. I always respected how hard he played, even though he never quite seemed to put it together offensively. Also had a great attitude--he was also one of those "yes sir, no sir" kind of guys in practice, which is a refreshing change from how some players act.

Edit: this suggests that Jackson did play some shooting guard, but I definitely don't remember that.
I'm probably wrong, but just don't remember Moten as a guard; more swingman with great tenacity under the basket...

Early in his career he played forward as we went with a small lineup, and he spent a lot of time working the baseline and he did score a lot inside.

His game seemed to move more and more outside over his career. By his senior year he was pretty much a classic 2 guard, as he handled the ball more out front, and took more 3's. He definitely played up top on the zone when we were in it, as a Jr/Sr. That's how I remember it.
I think I wanted to remember Moten for early in his career, like against Florida State, instead of later in his career, like against Arkansas...Lol...

I'm probably wrong, but just don't remember Moten as a guard; more swingman with great tenacity under the basket...

Looking at his career stats pretty much tell the story...

http://orangehoops.org/LMoten.htm

His rebounds, blocked shots and fouls all went down each season, as he spent less and less time near the basket.

His steals went up significantly his Jr/Sr. seasons. His assists went up quite a bit his senior year. His 3 point attempts jumped up his Jr/Sr. year.

And his points were pretty steady. Regardless of where he played, he always consistently put around 20 pts. on the board.

fwds: derrick coleman, carmelo
ctr : roosevelt bouie
grds: pearl , billy owens

bench would consist of wallace ,sherm, louie, rony and stevie. *(add swings moten + dj =12)

UNBEATABLE!!!!! and we all play 10!!!! no zone!!!!
(but certainly open for debate)

*edit

Last edited:
I'm enjoying your dancing around trying not to call me "old". :D

You probably didn't see much of Magic, Bird, or maybe even MJ, but I'm pretty sure you'll be ok deferring to folks such as myself who have fond memories of "the greats" like those too. ;)

I never saw Bing play. But, he's in the HOF, so it's not a stretch to consider him one of "the greats" at SU.
He was.
I never saw Louie & Bouie play - I wasn't "in to" college hoops, until I was a Frosh at SU.
So, my personal experience starts with Pearl - but I'm not going to pretend nothing happened prior to that.

There's this cool thing all us old timers use, called Google.
You can find out all sorts of intereting things from it. :p

You young whippersnappers also might have some fun sifting thru http://orangehoops.org/

PS - some guy named Jim Brown was a pretty good football player for SU.
But, that was before your time, so you can just go ahead and ignore it. :D

I'm well aware of the players before my time. My point was if I threw together a team of players that I have a good memory of watching then I'd have left off quite a few key players.

Hakim Warrick would like a word with you... ;)

How is it you saw Sherm, DC, and Rony, but not Pearl?
Pearl played with Rony and Sherm.
Might want to get those eyes checked. :D

I love the concept that you have appointed yourself the judge of the veracity of other people's opinions in this thread, but ok it is all in fun.

I wanted some more shooting on the bench from the SF spot so went Nichols over Warrick. As for MCW, I liked his defensive attributes over the more offensively skilled Sherm. Basically, I wanted his length out front. Pearl, yes I saw him play. I loved Dion's killer attitude and I just wanted him on the team. So I put him on the team.

AO had a nice back to the basket post game, and a nice touch around the rim on his jump hooks. Saying his offense was dunks and putbacks of his own "bricks" makes me wonder how well you remember him?

SHould also be noted that despite Fab Melo being drafted and AO not...AO played more in the NBA than Fab did. 11 games and 98 minutes for AO, 6 games and 36 minutes for Fab. AO even picked up one start in the NBA.

That's all lovely.
However, it still doesn't change the fact that AO was well behind Rony, Rosey, Etan, and Rak (and probably others - Otis maybe?) on the All Time SU centers list.

Just last season, we ran our entire offense thru Rak. And he delivered.
But people are picking AO over Rak?
For his "offense"? He couldn't score outside of 5 feet.

Since folks are just making stuff up as they go along...
I'm gonna put Mookie on MY all-time team.
He was the best player we've ever had.
(In his mind)

That's all lovely.
However, it still doesn't change the fact that AO was well behind Rony, Rosey, Etan, and Rak (and probably others - Otis maybe?) on the All Time SU centers list.

Just last season, we ran our entire offense thru Rak. And he delivered.
But people are picking AO over Rak?
For his "offense"? He couldn't score outside of 5 feet.

Since folks are just making stuff up as they go along...
I'm gonna put Mookie on MY all-time team.
He was the best player we've ever had.
(In his mind)

Rak as a senior was better than AO ever was. AO as a soph/junior/senior was better than the rest of Christmas's career. Should be pointed out that we kinda sucked last year, and Rak was pretty much all we had. That doesn't diminish how well he played, but he was getting touches. AO mever had the chance for the offense to run through him because we had a lot of offensive talent then(Flynn, Devo, Johnson, Rautins, etc.) AO was doing damage on a sweet 16 team as a Junior and one of our best teams of all time as a senior.

Rak was a better defensive player.

I'm not arguing AO was better than Seikaly, Bouie, or Etan.

I'm more defending him because you seem to rate him too low. I'd put him in the same class as Christmas, Hill, Melo, and Jackson.

No offense, but you are out of your mind if you have Fab over AO on an all time SU list. Onuaku would have eaten Fab alive in the post.

Your general point is correct: Onuaku's offensive skills were excellent. I'd take him over Fab for sure.

Who knows who'd prevail head-to-head, but I remember Arinze having a ton of trouble against good defensive bigs. His struggles against Blair, Thabeet, and Hibbert were a big part of why we were so punchless in many games against those teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom