All-Time Syracuse Lineup | Syracusefan.com

All-Time Syracuse Lineup

ADimeBack

Walk On
Hey guys -

So I'm working on a project for a UConn blog. Basically, I'm taking 64 college basketball programs and creating an all-time lineup based on all of their best players ever. I've already come up with the lineups, but for some of the more notable schools (e.g. Syracuse), I wanted input from actual Syracuse fans. A few things to remember:

1) I'm a UConn fan, not a Syracuse fan. If I've missed some obvious player from the 60s, it's not because I'm a mean dumb jerk who hates puppies. If I seem like I'm being hypersensitive, that's because UCLA fans are really condescending.

2) This list is primarily concerned with how good the players were in college, though I do look at pro performance as well; it stands to reason that the truly great players will excel in the NBA. In addition, I'm trying to create the best possible lineup based on all of the players ever at each school. This means that players don't need to play the position they played in college. If a player is better suited to another position, (for example, a player best suited for power forward playing center in college) I might move that player to a different position than the on you're accustomed to. Furthermore, if there is a glut of talent at a certain position (in your case, point guard), I might make adjustments to make sure that the best players are represented.

3) The lineups will consist of two centers, four forwards, and four guards. Ideally, each team would have two power forwards, two small forwards, two point guards, and two shooting guards, but as I said, I'll make adjustments as necessary.

4) I want you to imagine that this team will actually be playing real games against the all-time teams of other schools, so choose accordingly. I have my lineup below. Please be kind.

C Rony Seikaly, Danny Schayes
F Derrick Coleman, Hakim Warrick
F Carmelo Anthony, Billy Owens
G Dave Bing, Lawrence Moten
G Pearl Washington, Sherman Douglas

Hey guys -

So I'm working on a project for a UConn blog. Basically, I'm taking 64 college basketball programs and creating an all-time lineup based on all of their best players ever. I've already come up with the lineups, but for some of the more notable schools (e.g. Syracuse), I wanted input from actual Syracuse fans. A few things to remember:

1) I'm a UConn fan, not a Syracuse fan. If I've missed some obvious player from the 60s, it's not because I'm a mean dumb jerk who hates puppies. If I seem like I'm being hypersensitive, that's because UCLA fans are really condescending.

2) This list is primarily concerned with how good the players were in college, though I do look at pro performance as well; it stands to reason that the truly great players will excel in the NBA. In addition, I'm trying to create the best possible lineup based on all of the players ever at each school. This means that players don't need to play the position they played in college. If a player is better suited to another position, (for example, a player best suited for power forward playing center in college) I might move that player to a different position than the on you're accustomed to. Furthermore, if there is a glut of talent at a certain position (in your case, point guard), I might make adjustments to make sure that the best players are represented.

3) The lineups will consist of two centers, four forwards, and four guards. Ideally, each team would have two power forwards, two small forwards, two point guards, and two shooting guards, but as I said, I'll make adjustments as necessary.

4) I want you to imagine that this team will actually be playing real games against the all-time teams of other schools, so choose accordingly. I have my lineup below. Please be kind.

Good list. My only change would be to substitute Etan Thomas at Center for Schayes. If you're talking about college, Danny only started his senior year, although he had a very long NBA career. Thomas was an outstanding shotblocker and rebounder for us.

I might try to fit Dion in there somewhere. Not sure where though.

I actually went back and forth on that one a bit. I remember Thomas well; he was an excellent player. I had that as a bit of a toss-up, since both were all-Big East first team as seniors. I could probably make that change, though.

I might try to fit Dion in there somewhere. Not sure where though.

There were a couple of guys like this that surprised me by not making the cut. Dion was one, John Wallace was as well, but you have to cut it off somewhere. I had a similar issue trying to shoehorn Ben Gordon onto my UConn roster.

Hey guys -

That's a pretty good lineup. I would swap John Wallace for Hakim, though, and I agree about swapping Thomas for Schayes.

Pretty good list. I would also suggest a substitution for Schayes at Center. Roosevelt Bouie was probably our first great Center and he had a very successful career in Europe. Check out his stats Rosey

I would take John Wallace over Warrick

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Good list. I'm not sure you need to make any changes, but FWIW, here's who I consider the top players not on the list: John Wallace, Gerry McNamara, Etan Thomas and Roosevelt Bouie. There's no way to fit GMac in there considering the depth at the G spots, but two options would be to either sub Thomas or Bouie for Shayes - probably Thomas, or if you're taking some real liberties with positions, move DC to Schayes spot at C and sub in Wallace at F.

EDIT: and just now after writing my post, i saw 72's and gabjon's posts. both good suggestions.

Well you have to fit Bjorn in there somewhere!!!

Wallace over Warrick definitely

I waffled on Warrick/Wallace, but I don't think you can make a great case for Wallace over Warrick. Their career numbers are incredibly similar, though neither distinguished himself as a pro. However, Warrick played on a championship team, was a two-time AA (including making the first team as a senior), and was a Big East POY. Wallace competed in a stronger Big East, but overall, I'd have to say that Warrick had the better college career.

I waffled on Warrick/Wallace, but I don't think you can make a great case for Wallace over Warrick. Their career numbers are incredibly similar, though neither distinguished himself as a pro. However, Warrick played on a championship team, was a two-time AA (including making the first team as a senior), and was a Big East POY. Wallace competed in a stronger Big East, but overall, I'd have to say that Warrick had the better college career.

John Wallace CARRIED the 96' team to the championship game!

Wallace had a much more complete offensive game throughout his career. He could score inside and out, and was a far better ball handler than Warrick. He willed the 1996 team to the FF and was the best player on the court in the title game. He finished his career as the No. 3 scorer and No. 3 rebounder in school history.

Having watched both their careers, I would take Wallace over Hakim.

Wallace definitely over Warrick. Can you imagine John Wallace on that 2003 team - yikes that team would have been scary good. And Wallace was the best player in the 1996 tournament. No way in the world can you take Warrick over Wallace IMHO.

As for center, Etan was the best defensive center we ever had. And Rosie I would argue had a bigger impact on the SU program than Danny.

When SU fans talk about whose jersey should be retired next, Wallace is always one of the first names brought up. I don't recall ever seeing Danny's name mentioned - that should give you some good insight into how many of us feel about the best players we've had. People would love to see Rosie and Louis go up as a pair someday. Let's Go Orange!

Base this one on the eye test - Warrick could do spectacular things, but Wallace was the prototypical Syracuse 4 and a more well-rounded player. Ferocious rebounder, good shot-blocker, and so much more polished on the offensive end (still in our top six for career three-point percentage, too). Hakim had a great career and improved immensely, but he's no Wallace.

Roosevelt Bouie should also be ahead of Schayes (and Etan Thomas). But you've made a good list; can't argue with the other eight.

Wallace had a much more complete offensive game throughout his career. He could score inside and out, and was a far better ball handler that Warrick. He willed the 1996 team to the FF and was the best player on the court in the title game. He finished his career as the No. 3 scorer and No. 3 rebounder in school history.

Having watched both their careers, I would take Wallace over Hakim.

Here I am killing five minutes looking up our three-point shooting leaders while you're writing the exact same thing. Well played!

I agree with the list and like Warrick over Wallace even though I love Wallace.

We all love Warrick, but Wallace was a much better player overall. The guy was flat out dominant in his senior year. Could do everything.

(As an aside, I recently saw a good chunk of the 1996 title game and Otis Hill was an absolute beast on the glass. I had forgotten just how ferocious of a rebounder that guy was.)

OK, you got me. I'll put Wallace over Warrick. I'd forgotten that Bouie existed, sadly, but he definitely has an excellent resume. That second center spot is going to be a tough one.

You could do a poll and ask who fans would select between Wallace and Hak. Or you could look in the SU record book and see Wallace's name ahead in scoring, rebounding, blocked shots, 3 point shooting...

I love Hak and will never forget the block or some if his amazing dunks. But I'll also never forget one of the greatest seasons in the history of SU sports by an individual that Wallace had in 96. As good as Hak was, no way IMHO could he have taken us to the championship that year.

ADimeBack, is this blog up now? If so, can you please provide a link? I'm sure a few of us here would like to see it.

The blog is up, but this particular project still requires more work. I'll keep you guys posted as to when it goes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom