All-Time Syracuse Lineup | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

All-Time Syracuse Lineup

Josh Wright
Louie McCrosky
Devin Brennan McBride
Terrance Roberts
Jim Boeheim

As long as you have JB in your team you win.

There are a couple of names that merit consideration that I don't see mentioned here.

First...I think the best "all-around" skill player Syracuse ever had was Leo Rautins.
There's nothing he couldn't do exceptionally well. I might take him as one of the SF's.

And Rudy Hackett should be considered at PF. He was a monster on the glass, steadily improved his scoring and led the team to the Final Four as a senior.

Some easy choices, some difficult. I saw all but Bing play, but he is a no-brainer. Did not see Hanson, so I cannot judge and no single player stands out as second at SG.

C Seikaly, Smith/Bouie
PF Coleman, Wallace
SF Anthony, Owens
SG Bing, (not sure)
PG Douglas, Washington

There are a couple of names that merit consideration that I don't see mentioned here.

First...I think the best "all-around" skill player Syracuse ever had was Leo Rautins.
There's nothing he couldn't do exceptionally well. I might take him as one of the SF's.

And Rudy Hackett should be considered at PF. He was a monster on the glass, steadily improved his scoring and led the team to the Final Four as a senior.
Hackett, Jimmy Lee, and Kid Kohls all deserve at least honorable mention

The '96 team had three Hall of Famers, and led up to arguably the deepest draft in NBA history. I've come around on Wallace v Warrick.

That draft had 10 all stars (4 probable hall of famers), Camby and Derek Fisher. And Ben Wallace wenet undrafted that year.

Given the original post of:

C Rony Seikaly, Danny Schayes
F Derrick Coleman, Hakim Warrick
F Carmelo Anthony, Billy Owens
G Dave Bing, Lawrence Moten
G Pearl Washington, Sherman Douglas

The only player I'd have changed was Roosevelt Bouie instead of Danny Schayes. Why have the understudy
of three years when you can have the lead?

With a bit more thought, the other change I'd have considered would've been Erich Santifer at the 2G instead
of Moten, simply because in 30+ years of watching SU hoops, I think he's the most complete 2G SU has had
in that time, and his career stats back that up. And it's hard to leave off Stevie Thompson or Moten at that spot.

Kev

Hey guys -

So I'm working on a project for a UConn blog. Basically, I'm taking 64 college basketball programs and creating an all-time lineup based on all of their best players ever. I've already come up with the lineups, but for some of the more notable schools (e.g. Syracuse), I wanted input from actual Syracuse fans. A few things to remember:

1) I'm a UConn fan, not a Syracuse fan. If I've missed some obvious player from the 60s, it's not because I'm a mean dumb jerk who hates puppies. If I seem like I'm being hypersensitive, that's because UCLA fans are really condescending.

2) This list is primarily concerned with how good the players were in college, though I do look at pro performance as well; it stands to reason that the truly great players will excel in the NBA. In addition, I'm trying to create the best possible lineup based on all of the players ever at each school. This means that players don't need to play the position they played in college. If a player is better suited to another position, (for example, a player best suited for power forward playing center in college) I might move that player to a different position than the on you're accustomed to. Furthermore, if there is a glut of talent at a certain position (in your case, point guard), I might make adjustments to make sure that the best players are represented.

3) The lineups will consist of two centers, four forwards, and four guards. Ideally, each team would have two power forwards, two small forwards, two point guards, and two shooting guards, but as I said, I'll make adjustments as necessary.

4) I want you to imagine that this team will actually be playing real games against the all-time teams of other schools, so choose accordingly. I have my lineup below. Please be kind.

C Rony Seikaly, Danny Schayes
F Derrick Coleman, Hakim Warrick
F Carmelo Anthony, Billy Owens
G Dave Bing, Lawrence Moten
G Pearl Washington, Sherman Douglas

Ok, for a Uconn fan you did a very good job on this. Many have provided the most obvious changes which in my opinion are Etan Thomas instead of Schayes (really hard to leave Rosie Bouie off but Etan played a long time in the league and Rosie did not). And John Wallace over Warrick is also a good call. But, and this is more for the SU fans, especially RF2044 would did an almost great job on his top 5 teams. How can no one have even mentioned LEO RAUTINS!? In my opinion Leo is the 2nd 2 guard after Bing. If your putting a team together to actually play you have to want Leo on that team and I put him at 2 Gaurd which was what he would have been in the NBA if it were not for his knees. Outside shooting would be a bit of an issue for this team as after Bing the next 2 shooters would likely be Melo and Wallace. This would likely be the best passing team in history.

If moving Coleman to Center, then I am starting Anthony and Owens at the forward spots.

How can no one have even mentioned LEO RAUTINS!? In my opinion Leo is the 2nd 2 guard after Bing.

Because Vic Hanson was better?

Sent using my Commodore 64

Because Vic Hanson was better?

Sent using my Commodore 64
I'll defer to those of you who saw Hanson play! Mainly my point was Leo at least deserved to be mentioned.

So, UConn guy... what have you decided based on all this fabulous input?

SU all defensive team

PG Jason Hart
SG Andy Rautins
SF Wes Johnson
PF Derrick Coleman
C Etan Thomas

stevie thompson was arguably our best defender ever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom