Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out

Unpopular opinion warning--> I think its ridiculous that players are expected to stay for a song after they just got their butts handed to them. I also think its unnecessary.

They are being taught that they are part of something bigger than wins and losses. This is family and will always be (or should be) a large part of their life.

I dont see the point regardless. 80% of the fans were gone at that point.

PS- I knew it would be unpopular.

It doesn’t matter if it’s ONLY the SUMB left when the game ends.

They support the team & players before, during, and after the game.
Not a whole lot to ask for them to return that support for a whopping 3 minutes at the end of the game.
Regardless of the outcome.

Class & sportsmanship are things you should do even if NOBODY is there.

THAT is what Dino is trying to teach these young men.

Not a whole lot to ask for them to return that support for a whopping 3 minutes at the end of the game.

I hear you. I feel like there are other ways to accomplish that. BUT I acknowledge I am in the minority. Ultimately, there is NO harm towards them staying so, let the tradition continue. There are worse things in the world.

I would offer that even beyond the tradition. If coach at the start of the season said you all will be doing this as a team win or lose, then this was also HCDFBs making sure the players understand that they don't have the ability to decide what rules to follow or not. If he had let that go then it would potentially lead to other problems. Just another take on part of the why he did it.

I hear you. I feel like there are other ways to accomplish that. BUT I acknowledge I am in the minority. Ultimately, there is NO harm towards them staying so, let the tradition continue. There are worse things in the world.

Just to add to what's already been said, and not to dog pile on you...

It's not so much about "what" they are asked to do (in this case, staying for the Alma Mater) or "when" they need to do it. It is ALL about discipline, accountability, respect, consistency, and citizenship.

You are focusing on one singular event, Dino is focusing on the whole while holding everyone accountable no matter how trivial the expectation may seem to some.

Last edited:
That's great Dino is trying to do right but very concerning if players truly have given up or quit already.

I wouldn’t draw that conclusion. Dino said they were disappointed; not given up or quit.

I’d be very careful in throwing that around

Speaking of traditions......lucky the Orange did not win and send the third largest Dome crowd of all time into a frenzied march to Marshall Street. Varsity closed at 9PM (while there was still hope) so flipping the banner after an all-time comeback would have been tough. And pretty much half of the rest of the food places also closed early. Our 6 man group of alum including former players (most of us had not been on campus in 20+ years) could not believe how pathetic Marshall Street was considering a once in every two decades crowd. We knew our old places no longer existed before going up but could not believe what Marshall Street has become. While the University has done a nice job with the game day experience promoting Club44 as the premier Dome experience and charging people to get into a bar without a bathroom is ridiculous.

Understandable but this is a show of unity despite outcomes. It means a lot to many people and is cool to see after the game.

Fair point. But Dino hasn't lost the team because of the AlmaMaterGate. I say this as gently and friendly (we are all cuse fans) as possible - That is a patently ridiculous opinion/comment/theory. It was nothing more than a simple mistake that was already fixed and forgiven.

Speaking of traditions...lucky the Orange did not win and send the third largest Dome crowd of all time into a frenzied march to Marshall Street. Varsity closed at 9PM (while there was still hope) so flipping the banner after an all-time comeback would have been tough. And pretty much half of the rest of the food places also closed early. Our 6 man group of alum including former players (most of us had not been on campus in 20+ years) could not believe how pathetic Marshall Street was considering a once in every two decades crowd. We knew our old places no longer existed before going up but could not believe what Marshall Street has become. While the University has done a nice job with the game day experience promoting Club44 as the premier Dome experience and charging people to get into a bar without a bathroom is ridiculous.

Thats crazy! I've been to Varsity after 9pm. I cant believe on a gameday saturday they would close before midnight.

Fair point. But Dino hasn't lost the team because of the AlmaMaterGate. I say this as gently and friendly (we are all cuse fans) as possible - That is a patently ridiculous opinion/comment/theory. It was nothing more than a simple mistake that was already fixed and forgiven.
I agree, was only making a general statement about the potential importance of the ritual

That may have been what Dino told the band director but with the exception of Devito, Coleman, Riley and five other players all of the redshirt freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are well aware of the tradition went into the locker room while the alma mater was being played.

I wish he could go out and bring back all of the students who left early too.

I wish he could go out and bring back all of the students who left early too.

Interesting article in yesterday's Washington Post (I think - I read a couple papers) about how some big schools track when students leave games as the students are part of a rewards program that earn points for coming and staying. Since demand far exceeds tickets available, the school's reward programs reward the students that come and that stay (among other point categories). Those who stay until the end are more likely to get bowl tickets, etc.

"Dino and Sean Edinger went in to get the players" I don't see how anyone could say no or want to disappoint this man...

Thats crazy! I've been to Varsity after 9pm. I cant believe on a gameday saturday they would close before midnight.
Acropolis had a line out Marshall St. for people looking for food.

Speaking of traditions...lucky the Orange did not win and send the third largest Dome crowd of all time into a frenzied march to Marshall Street. Varsity closed at 9PM (while there was still hope) so flipping the banner after an all-time comeback would have been tough. And pretty much half of the rest of the food places also closed early. Our 6 man group of alum including former players (most of us had not been on campus in 20+ years) could not believe how pathetic Marshall Street was considering a once in every two decades crowd. We knew our old places no longer existed before going up but could not believe what Marshall Street has become. While the University has done a nice job with the game day experience promoting Club44 as the premier Dome experience and charging people to get into a bar without a bathroom is ridiculous.
Honestly, now that Uber/Lyft exist up in Cuse, I found Armory to be a million times better than the old places on Marshall. I think if I was a student now, I'd rather go to bars like that than Chuck's/Faegan's. Had a great time over there afterwards.

But yeah, pretty ironic that a few days after the Athletic ran an article about the banner flip tradition Varsity closed that early...

Varsity will sometimes stay open for a road game and show the game on the big screen in a low-key way but I'm told their rationale for closing at the usual time for night home games is actually pretty decent: they don't want their staff needing to deal with nonsense or clean vom out of the bathrooms, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom