Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out

CNY is rallying for this program unlike anywhere else in the country. Numerous Clemson personnel stated the dome was the loudest venue they’ve played in. The AD and city have gone out of their way to add to the hype.

At a certain point, you need to show on the field why the hype should be sustained. I love Dino, but our defense vs Maryland and our offense vs Clemson did him no favors. As the HC thats on him. I don’t think there’s any reason to believe university/fan support is questionable. If anything I agree its the recruitment limitations of SU/CNY that may hurt us but he’s getting dome renovations, a 25M $ gift and im pretty sure he’s even received a jet to help with this.

One game. And you didn’t answer the question.

One game. And you didn’t answer the question.

Considering the donation, renovation, extension, season ticket success and traveling fan base before Dino’s had two consecutive winning seasons... i think the eggs beat out the evidence chicken a little at this point.

Considering the donation, renovation, extension, season ticket success and traveling fan base before Dino’s had two consecutive winning seasons... i think the eggs beat out the evidence chicken a little at this point.

Again, I’m not talking about AD support. I stick by my first post. IF he were to leave...

Again, I’m not talking about AD support. I stick by my first post. IF he were to leave...
If he were to leave it’d be to advance his own career at a more prestigious school, which is understandable. Not because CNY didn’t show it cared enough. I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see a crowd below 42,000 to close out the year after Holy Cross. That’d represent another >10% jump in average attendance. Wake could even sell out if we play ourselves back into the top 25, which is entirely possible.

We just maxed out our season ticket allotment after two MISERABLE decades. I’m not going to point a finger at our fans at this point for lack of tradition.

What is our season ticket allotment? I don’t follow. I’d say it’s about 49,500.

What is our season ticket allotment? I don’t follow. I’d say it’s about 49,500.

Can every ticket be a season? I have Nats seasons and they cap the # to about half the stadium.

Can every ticket be a season? I have Nats seasons and they cap the # to about half the stadium.
If the demand was there I could absolutely see it. But with group ticket sales and partial plan sales going on before they stopped selling seasons they had a finite supply. If the Dome knew they could get 49,500 STHs they absolutely would. Nothing better in sports ticket sales than a waiting list.

If the demand was there I could absolutely see it. But with group ticket sales and partial plan sales going on before they stopped selling seasons they had a finite supply. If the Dome knew they could get 49,500 STHs they absolutely would. Nothing better in sports ticket sales than a waiting list.

Right - but since they don't they cap to an artificial number then play all sorts of promo games with the rest.

I just think a school is an odd entity for one to ceremonially pledge respect.
I don't know, everything I have accomplished in life has a direct throughline to my time on the hill. That includes my wife. Without SU and the education I received there I'm not sure where I'd be today. At least for me, that's a reason to pay respect. I guess I don't look at the process of attending a university and thriving afterward in part because of that university as a transactional one. What I mean by that is, just because I paid to go there doesn't mean I shouldn't respect and honor the institution that helped make me who I am.

With that said, I think the university needs to better explain to people that it's important to stay for the alma mater after the games. I actually don't know the words of the alma mater. I do for the fight song, but not the alma mater.

Maybe it starts in the way they introduce freshmen to the alma mater in orientation and then reinforcing the importance of those words and that song throughout their time there. Get students to stay, and soon you have alumni that stay, and then maybe you get folks from the area to stay.

Last edited:
Right - but since they don't they cap to an artificial number then play all sorts of promo games with the rest.

They never capped seasons. They were for sale on the SU website right up to the Clemson game.

Someone liked my post from a few days ago and it led me to realize we are still talking about a song.

Undergrad alum here. I dont make it a point to stay for the song. I buy tickets. I paid tuition. I wear swag and talk up my school academically and athletically. I show appreciation to the school in many ways. I quite simply could not care less about a song.

I'm an alum and my wife and I did not stay Saturday. We had to be in Pulaski at 5 o'clock for a previously scheduled engagement and the game took 4 hours. If the game took 3 hours I would have been there through it, but these 4 hour games with 20 penalties, 10 replay reviews, and 3 minutes commercial breaks make the entire day too long...If my wife had it her way we would have left with 4 minutes to go.
You are a bad person and I'm telling Nick Saban on you.

I don't know, everything I have accomplished in life has a direct throughline to my time on the hill. That includes my wife. Without SU and the education I received there I'm not sure where I'd be today. At least for me, that's a reason to pay respect. I guess I don't look at the process of attending a university and thriving afterward in part because of that university as a transactional one. What I mean by that is, just because I paid to go there doesn't mean I shouldn't respect and honor the institution that helped make me who I am.

With that said, I think the university needs to better explain to people that it's important to stay for the alma mater after the games. I actually don't know the words of the alma mater. I do for the fight song, but not the alma mater.

Maybe it starts in the way they introduce freshmen to the alma mater in orientation and then reinforcing the importance of those words and that song throughout their time there. Get students to stay, and soon you have alumni that stay, and then maybe you get folks from the area to stay.
I would play it before the game. After four hours most people want out win or lose.

I’ve never understood why the alma matter gets the national anthem treatment. Why do we have to stand or kneel for it? It’s great to love your school, but deifying an institution that you paid to attend seems silly to me.

I can't speak for you, but if following SU long after I've graduated is deifying it, then so be it. I'm proud to be an SU alumnus and make it known especially at my desk at work with my Otto plushie among other paraphernalia. SU is where I spent my most formative years and went from a boy to a man. I have some of my fondest memories on the Hill.

Even in post-grad, some of the connections I've made have been and are currently extremely helpful even if they didn't amount to anything. My dad who was a Syracuse basketball fan down in the Bronx during the 70s and 80s was probably more excited than I was when I got accepted. As someone who didn't go to college, he was taken aback by the campus and the Dome when he dropped me off. If I'm in a position where I can send my eventual kids to SU, they will also go here.

I can't speak for you, but if following SU long after I've graduated is deifying it, then so be it. I'm proud to be an SU alumnus and make it known especially at my desk at work with my Otto plushie among other paraphernalia. SU is where I spent my most formative years and went from a boy to a man. I have some of my fondest memories on the Hill.

Even in post-grad, some of the connections I've made have been and are currently extremely helpful even if they didn't amount to anything. My dad who was a Syracuse basketball fan down in the Bronx during the 70s and 80s was probably more excited than I was when I got accepted. As someone who didn't go to college, he was taken aback by the campus and the Dome when he dropped me off. If I'm in a position where I can send my eventual kids to SU, they will also go here.

Trust me, I am the same way. I literally plan 99% of my life around Syracuse University.

The Alma Mater means nearly nothing to me. It never has and I dont think it ever will. I dont even know the words to it. I grew up with an Orange stuffed basketball in my crib (my kids still have that FYI) and I went to Syracuse University.

Trust me, I am the same way. I literally plan 99% of my life around Syracuse University.

The Alma Mater means nearly nothing to me. It never has and I dont think it ever will. I dont even know the words to it. I grew up with an Orange stuffed basketball in my crib (my kids still have that FYI) and I went to Syracuse University.

Neither do I.

Same. It’s a nice song but there are about a million ties that bind me more to this university than this one.

It's ok that the alma mater doesn't matter to northern football fans, mostly. We don't have to do it like they do it. If it was important to more people, people would stick around.

Find our own thing that accomplishes a similar thing.

It's ok that the alma mater doesn't matter to northern football fans, mostly. We don't have to do it like they do it. If it was important to more people, people would stick around.

Find our own thing that accomplishes a similar thing.

Raking leaves?
Picking apples?
Beating traffic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors