Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out

It’s pathetic that fans don’t stay for the playing of the alma mater. But I guess for most of them it’s NOT their alms mater, just their football team. We always stay.

I'm not an undergrad alum. My sister is (played in the band) and i've been rooting for the University my entire life. I've never once felt the urge/need, to stay after the game for the Alma Mater. I mean, I've happened to be there a few times, but it was not something i consciously thought of doing. Also, they play it before the games too.

My Saturday game experience began at 7:30 and ended at 6:30. I assume many others are in the same boat or invest more. I don't think its "pathetic" that someone who has invested their time and money may want to skip out on hearing a song at the end of the game, that really has nothing to do with anything.

I'm not an undergrad alum. My sister is (played in the band) and i've been rooting for the University my entire life. I've never once felt the urge/need, to stay after the game for the Alma Mater. I mean, I've happened to be there a few times, but it was not something i consciously thought of doing. Also, they play it before the games too.

My Saturday game experience began at 7:30 and ended at 6:30. I assume many others are in the same boat or invest more. I don't think its "pathetic" that someone who has invested their time and money may want to skip out on hearing a song at the end of the game, that really has nothing to do with anything.
And people wonder why we have no traditions to speak of besides flipping a felt banner over at a pizza joint after the game.

How many fans of SEC programs went to those programs? And they all stay for the alma mater.

And people wonder why we have no traditions to speak of besides flipping a felt banner over at a pizza joint after the game.

How many fans of SEC programs went to those programs? And they all stay for the alma mater.
A lot. I've met more Tennessee alums living in Knoxville for ten years than SU alums living in CNY for 31. A high percentage of people tend to be from the area and stay in the area after graduation.

It’s just part of the pageantry and tradition of CFB. It’s the best part of CFB. Without it, CFB is just an NFL minor league.

It’s just part of the pageantry and tradition of CFB. It’s the best part of CFB. Without it, CFB is just an NFL minor league.

wait... the alma mater is the best part of college football? I think 99.99% of fans would not put the alma mater at #1. I say that conservatively.

I don't begrudge people their rituals, traditions, etc. You should do what fulfills you, so long as you are not harming anyone else. People touch the Ernie Davis statue, they jingle their keys, they go to The Varsity, they belt out the Alma Mater, whatever ... it's all good. I dont consider those who eschew those things to be pathetic.

I went to the LSU game. I've been to a game in Happy Valley. It seemed to me that the primary objective of their fans was was to have fun. And with the SEC schools, if you dont recognize the inherent sociological, ideological, and cultural differences between our respective fan bases, your time at SU would have been better spent in the library than at the Dome (i know, you were a Falk student, but I'm trying to make a snarky point ;)).

I’ve never understood why the alma matter gets the national anthem treatment. Why do we have to stand or kneel for it? It’s great to love your school, but deifying an institution that you paid to attend seems silly to me.
So, standing in respect to the school you attended (or follow) is deification???

Oooookay...

wait... the alma mater is the best part of college football? I think 99.99% of fans would not put the alma mater at #1. I say that conservatively.
I said tradition and pageantry is the best part of CFB.

I don't begrudge people their rituals, traditions, etc. You should do what fulfills you, so long as you are not harming anyone else. People touch the Ernie Davis statue, they jingle their keys, they go to The Varsity, they belt out the Alma Mater, whatever ... it's all good. I dont consider those who eschew those things to be pathetic.

I went to the LSU game. I've been to a game in Happy Valley. It seemed to me that the primary objective of their fans was was to have fun. And with the SEC schools, if you dont recognize the inherent sociological, ideological, and cultural differences between our respective fan bases, your time at SU would have been better spent in the library than at the Dome (i know, you were a Falk student, but I'm trying to make a snarky point ;)).
There is a difference between thinking people are pathetic, and thinking it pathetic that people don’t behave a certain way.

I said tradition and pageantry is the best part of CFB.

Ok. I'd argue calling 2 different things "its" in 2 consecutive sentences was a little confusing but i would agree the tradition and pagentry as a whole is certainly up there.

We just maxed out our season ticket allotment after two MISERABLE decades. I’m not going to point a finger at our fans at this point for lack of tradition.
I agree with you around the fans not staying for the alma mater. But where are these said "fans" that maxed out our allotment? They sure as heck were not there on Saturday, when all of us were!

A lot. I've met more Tennessee alums living in Knoxville for ten years than SU alums living in CNY for 31. A high percentage of people tend to be from the area and stay in the area after graduation.
That's because a regents diploma in Knoxville is considered an advanced degree.

I agree with you around the fans not staying for the alma mater. But where are these said "fans" that maxed out our allotment? They sure as heck were not there on Saturday, when all of us were!
It was potentially the last beautiful day of summer, coming off a demoralizing lackluster loss to Clemson in-front of 48,000. I forgive the 5-6,000 season ticket holders that likely said ehh lets hit the lake/links today. Its still money in the University’s pockets and the dome was loud regardless.

So, standing in respect to the school you attended (or follow) is deification???

Oooookay...
I just think a school is an odd entity for one to ceremonially pledge respect.

Last edited:
I just think a school is an odd entity for one to ceremonially pledge respect.
I guess we differ there.
1569258657726.gif

There are many fans outside of a 3+ hr drive that bought seasons tickets, largely in support of Dino and the teams progress, even though they knew they couldn’t attend all the games. They might know they could only attend 2-3 games logistically but know the ticket sales was both a sign of support for the program and hard earned cash infusion.

If there’s a desire for consistently larger crowds, score more points and give up fewer

I feel fine saying that, next year will be my fifth consecutive with seasons.

If there’s a desire for consistently larger crowds, score more points and give up fewer

I feel fine saying that, next year will be my fifth consecutive with seasons.

What came first? The chicken or the egg?

There are many fans outside of a 3+ hr drive that bought seasons tickets, largely in support of Dino and the teams progress, even though they knew they couldn’t attend all the games. They might know they could only attend 2-3 games logistically but know the ticket sales was both a sign of support for the program and hard earned cash infusion.
There are always circumstances. All are legitimate I’m sure. Still, it was a crowd much smaller in size than what I expected.

I figured take away 5-6,000 Clemson fans. (Add a couple hundred WMU fans.) Take away 8-10,000 fair weather fans. That would still leave us with 34-36,000 fannies in the seats. I know the announced was higher, but there weren’t that many people there.

What came first? The chicken or the egg?

CNY is rallying for this program unlike anywhere else in the country. Numerous Clemson personnel stated the dome was the loudest venue they’ve played in. The AD and city have gone out of their way to add to the hype.

At a certain point, you need to show on the field why the hype should be sustained. I love Dino, but our defense vs Maryland and our offense vs Clemson did him no favors. As the HC thats on him. I don’t think there’s any reason to believe university/fan support is questionable. If anything I agree its the recruitment limitations of SU/CNY that may hurt us but he’s getting dome renovations, a 25M $ gift and im pretty sure he’s even received a jet to help with this.

It’s pathetic that fans don’t stay for the playing of the alma mater. But I guess for most of them it’s NOT their alms mater, just their football team. We always stay.

I'm an alum and my wife and I did not stay Saturday. We had to be in Pulaski at 5 o'clock for a previously scheduled engagement and the game took 4 hours. If the game took 3 hours I would have been there through it, but these 4 hour games with 20 penalties, 10 replay reviews, and 3 minutes commercial breaks make the entire day too long...If my wife had it her way we would have left with 4 minutes to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom