Already Hop Naysayers | Syracusefan.com

Already Hop Naysayers

Forget the layups...that's subjective. Focus on the shitty free throw shooting. Two games this year are loses because we missed gimmes. Lack of focus and no understanding of fundamentals is the problem with this team.

Hopkins did a poor job today with substitutions and with adjusting the zone

The team did a shitty job closing on shooters. Cooney and Roberson especially. And, btw, the zone had nothing to do with us leaving 15 points at the FT line.

What the hell was everyone expecting? We have a 5.5-6 man rotation, and if we are not hitting 3's, we are not going to win. Period. This is a very limited team, with no inside game whatsoever. It's going to be a tough year, deal with it.

but it had everything to do with allowing a sh__ team, which couldn't even hit 50 vs Niagara, to score 84 points

In spite of that, we hit our free throws we win...the problem is our lack of focus and lapse of concentration. TC and TR are the primary culprits.

For those who are ripping Hop already. SU missed 15 free throws and 6 layups. That's 27 pts. Make those and SU wins by double figures.

I'm not going to judge Hop until the program is fully his. Right now he's a temp HC. Still running what JB runs, for the most part, as best he can (imo).

MikeSU02 said:
I'm not going to judge Hop until the program is fully his. Right now he's a temp HC. Still running what JB runs, for the most part, as best he can (imo).

The zone will be played less and less when Hop takes over.

My concern has been a lack of in-game adjustments. At the half, JB usually adjusts things, whether it being some sort of offensive wrinkle or adjusting the zone to the what the opposition did. I'm not seeing those adjustments with Hop at the helm, albeit in a small sample.

Last edited:
an oversimplification bordering on ridiculous

Yes....the simple fact is we left 15 points at the free throw line...we lost by 12...in spite of the horrible defensive display, we make those shots and we win. Or at least we change the dynamic of the game by playing down 1 or 2 and not 7 or 8.

Yes...the simple fact is we left 15 points at the free throw line...we lost by 12...in spite of the horrible defensive display, we make those shots and we win. Or at least we change the dynamic of the game by playing down 1 or 2 and not 7 or 8.
Not defending the FT shooting, but we were 19-31. How often do teams go 31-31 from the line?

Not defending the FT shooting, but we were 19-31. How often do teams go 31-31 from the line?

19/31 is 61%. We aren't good enough to beat anyone in the ACC, Big East or Big Ten with that percentage. That said, 19% from the 3 is unacceptable too. Taken together, those two stats are why we lost...

Sometimes teams will make shots. At least 5 of those threes were not defendable. It happens...

There is no reason why we can't be an 85% free throw percentage team. That would of added 7 points to our total. That alone changes the dynamic of the game.

What the hell was everyone expecting? We have a 5.5-6 man rotation, and if we are not hitting 3's, we are not going to win. Period. This is a very limited team, with no inside game whatsoever. It's going to be a tough year, deal with it.

Indeed. I know it's still early, but I don't see that much changing moving forward either. It's looking more and more like those 3 days in the Bahamas was an aberration. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom